Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Feb 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A party? What are we celebrating?

On February 22, Robert Jones, after 35+ years of working his fingers to the bone has retired. So it is a time of celebration. So how do we do this. This Sunday at midnight GMT that is 7 pm on the east coast 5 pm on the east cost (check you clock offset for the time in your area) We are going to stop what we are doing and have a toast. I so at that time it is to Bob. Now let us know what you are drinking and when you are drinking. Don’t forget!

Grant

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 28, 2004
OK, Grant, I’d love to toast Robert, however we need to clarify the time because there’s a little typo.

7 p.m. EST =
6 p.m. CST =
5 p.m. MST =
4 p.m. PST

Is this correct?

And please have mercy and don’t ask me what time that would be in Australia! 🙂 But if someone would post it, I’d like to know. Would this mean Susan would have to be having a little drinky poo with her morning coffee?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Beth, it’ll be 10:30 a.m. in Susan’s part of the world.

Grant, you do mean midnight Sunday night, right? The stroke of midnight is also the beginning of the next day. Confusing to me….especially when I’ve started toasting early…

🙂
J
jhjl1
Feb 28, 2004
She can pretend she is in New Orleans then it will not seem out of place.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Beth, it’ll be 10:30 a.m. in Susan’s part of the world.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 28, 2004
Midnight Sunday GMT 00:00 you know just before Monday. The times can be calculated here http://greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm. Yes it is a bit early for the Aussies but I dated an Aussie girl and she was ready for a party at any time and assured me all Aussies were of like nature. But if in doubt start drinking now and don’t stop until Monday midnight your time and you should cover all the bases.

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Grant, timezone conversion is near and dear to my heart – literally. My Palm organizer has a program called CityTime; very useful when working with folks around the world.

Chuck
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 28, 2004
Oh its so much easier for me Sunday midnight GMT is Sunday midnight!!

I will have my glass ready and looking forward to the party.

Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 28, 2004
I was thinking that it was a little early for me to have a drink of alcohol! – I think Chuck had the calculation right (I’m currently on Australian central summer time) While I live in Australia and carry an Australian passport, I am a English by birth – perhaps that reduces my ability to drink before lunch…

Actually at the moment the thought of drinking any alcohol is making me feel green – I had what turned out to be some dodgy prawns at lunch on Thurday and I’m still paying for it!

Susan S.
PD
Pete_D
Feb 28, 2004
Susan; dodgy prawns? Please tell? what are they.

My Australian daughter in-law is coming soon and told me their twins like "porage". I had to ask about that too. Yes I read the three bears but the story never explained what it was).

Pete
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 28, 2004
Pete – "Dodgy" – may be more cockney than Australian (I’m originally a Londoner – and over the mist of time I can’t be sure what phrase comes from which source) – slang term -meaning something that is not quite up to standard. The prawns gave me a mild case of food poisoning.
Porridge is also English for oatmeal!
Susan S
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Susan, what is ‘pease porridge’? Or don’t I want to know…?! 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Here is a recipe for pease porridge; I’m not rushing out to the kitchen to whip up a batch…

http://www.godecookery.com/begrec/begrec93.htm
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 28, 2004
Chuck I know this one! – basically a thick soup made from dried peas usually flavoured with bacon – in modern terms Pea soup – which I cook quite a lot in winter. The variant of the rhyme that I know calls it Pease Pudding (which my grandmother used to make) – tie up soaked dry peas in a pudding cloth, seasoned with mint and pepper and put to cook in the water in which salt pork is cooking – serve with the pork and broth from cooking instead of potatoes (source: Dorothy Hartley "Food in England"). I’ve got some medieval Pease Porridge recipes which sound a bit more appetising than the link that you dredged up, but i can’t find them right now!
PD
Pete_D
Feb 28, 2004
Sorry that was not a good meal.

Hope the porridge does not have that effect on the kids:(

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Susan, I really like what we call split pea soup as a winter ‘stick to one’s ribs’ meal. Not sure about that Pease Pudding, though… 🙂
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 28, 2004
Yum…porridge. I have a big bowl of it almost every morning with OJ, coffee and toast or a pastry. Sometimes I flavor it with vanilla or maple flavoring or cinnamon, or add prunes, raisins, dates, dried cranberries…you name it. Served with brown sugar and milk…or half-and-half if you want to be really sinful. It’s really good for you, actually lowers cholesterol (well, maybe not if you add all that stuff) and adds fiber to…ahem…you know…
Bert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 28, 2004
Bert

I am also a big fan of porridge. Like you add various mixtures of prunes, raisins, dates, dried cranberries, figs, nuts, wheat germ and some time apples to it. I always use real oatmeal not the instant kind as I lover the fibber, a hint of salt goes in as I make it. I eat it with out sugar or milk, just got use to it that way. If I really want to be decanted I pour a little bit of pure maple syrup on it. Didn’t know it was good for you just love the taste.

Grant
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 28, 2004
I always use real oatmeal not the instant kind

Absolutely…instant is for wimps! 🙂

I have read reports that it actually absorbs cholesterol, lowering your blood cholesterol level. Since I have somewhat elevated levels, I figure it can’t hurt. I also try to thin out the HDL/LDLs with lots of red wine. Another one of my sacrifices in the interests of good health. <grin>
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 28, 2004
Chuck, I am with you about the pea soup. Especially the one my wife cooks on winter days. 😉

I hope I will be home at 11.00 PM to have a glass with you, although I suppose it will be coffee. I have planned a good meal of Chinese food that night with some colleagues after visiting a major trade show. Nevertheless, my thoughts will possibly with the rest of you.

Leen
R
RobertHJones
Feb 28, 2004
To Grant and everyone,

A virtual party is a great idea! This is a major milestone in my life and I couldn’t wish for a better group of people to celebrate it with.

Thank you!

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 28, 2004
Congratulations Bob, and may you have a long and happy retirement – spent, of course, here on the forum!

"split pea soup as a winter ‘stick to one’s ribs’ meal" So tell me, Chuck, what constitutes winter in Houston?! The old thermometer drops down to 60?

Split pea soup and old fashioned oatmeal. Ah… two of my favorites. Bert, have you tried the fat free half and half? It isn’t a great substitute for the real stuff, but it’s not too bad!
B
bethC
Feb 28, 2004
Congratulations Bob. How wonderful! I’ll certainly join in the celebration. 🙂

beth
LM
Lou_M
Feb 28, 2004
Congratulations, Bob. I’ll be toasting to you. I’m normally toasting/toasted on Sunday nights anyway, as we listen to The Thistle and Shamrock on NPR.

Grant said:

If I really want to be decanted

Hey, Grant, it sounds like you started your partying already.

Susan said:

dodgy prawns

Susan, it sounds like a rock band.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 28, 2004
am I invited ? I promise not to get everyone sick….will try not to breathe on you.

Congradulations Bob…now ya have to do all those things around the house you’ve been putting off 😉
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 28, 2004
Congratulations Bob,

I took early retirement a while back …. and its wonderful. Will be pleased to join your party on Sunday.

Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 28, 2004
Congrats Bob! Great fun ahead, and plenty of time for PSE. My husband and I both retired early too.
Jane
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 28, 2004
Beth,
Haven’t tried the unleaded stuff. Seems like an oxymoron…low fat H&H. I usually don’t use it on the oatmeal anyway, but thanks for the tip.
Bert
BL
bob_lemon
Feb 28, 2004
Congratulations, Bob. I hope you enjoy being retired.

"split pea soup as a winter ‘stick to one’s ribs’ meal" I’ll go along with that, I love it. When I was a kid, I used to mash my peas in my potatoes and end up with this green and whit streaked mess that made everyone else sick when they looked at it.

Maybe Quaker Oats should come out with a new instant oatmeal and peas and call it "Instant Peas Porridge."
PD
Pete_D
Feb 28, 2004
Congratulations, Bob.

I am sure this new life will be a happy one.

Pete
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 29, 2004
Congrats Bob! I’m working Sunday night and you never know what might happen, but if all’s quiet I’ll lift my cup of coffee in toast to your early retirement.

Ah retirement…… Only 20 more years to go. 😉

Joe
JD
Juergen_D
Feb 29, 2004
Bob,

Congratulations! Retirement is even better than you might have expected it to be. Really! Enjoy!
I hope to be around tomorrow evening. We’ll be out with friends during the day but I’ll try my best to be back in time.

Juergen
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 29, 2004
Bob,
Retirement is great. I’ll attest to that. It may take you a few tries, though. I first retired in 1992, then went back to work in ’95, retired again in 98, went back to work in 99, and finally retired for good in 2001. I think I finally got it right!
Bert
R
Ray
Feb 29, 2004
Congratulations Bob! I hope you’ll be able to enjoy everyday of it!

Ray
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Feb 29, 2004
Best wishes to you, Bob, as you escape the Rat Race! As you’re basking on some tropical beach, cool drink in hand, and finally reading that novel you’d always felt guilty about picking up in the past, please remember those of us still back in the Maze 🙂

Marilyn
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 29, 2004
Just a friendly reminder of the Virtual party tonight at 00:00 GMT that is midnight Great Britton time for most of us. so at the appropriate hour toast with whatever you have be it champagne or coffee, heck if you are in Canada or Holland you may even light up a dub. The reason/excuse is to celebrate Robert Jones’ arrival.

Grant
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Feb 29, 2004
I think that’s 4PM here in CA. Unfortunately, I will not be home to share in the festivities, but I’ll be there is spirit. Skoal!
Bert
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 29, 2004
Grant, I’ve got just only 40 minutes left, so I’m waitng for a quick answer. What is a "dub"?

Leen
J
jhjl1
Feb 29, 2004
Leen since he mentioned Holland and Canada where the laws or somewhat relaxed I am assuming he meant a doob as in doobie as in that stuff they smoke so much of in Amsterdam.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Grant, I’ve got just only 40 minutes left, so I’m waitng for a quick
answer. What is a "dub"?
Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 29, 2004
Then it is sorry, I don’t smoke stuff like that.
Just like most people here in Holland.

Just a little explanation of our policy regarding drugs as most Americans seem to think we are living in a Sodom and Gomorra.

Most of us think it is better to legalise the use of soft drugs as crime rates will fall considerably. Moreover, as soon as something isn’t forbidden any more it will loose its magic. In the Netherlands we smoke much less of it than the average US citizen; according to statistics about 1/3.
We think it is much more effective to educate people of the risks of taking drugs than to forbid it.

Back to Elements,

Leen
J
jhjl1
Feb 29, 2004
I don’t believe many Americans feel that way. Well maybe some of the extreme right wingers.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Americans seem to think we are living in a Sodom and Gomorra.
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 29, 2004
Robert, Cheers, I have my coffee to toast on your new freedom.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 29, 2004
Leen

A "joint" a reefer, Mary Jane, weed, grass …and so on….. 😉

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 29, 2004
Sorry, two hours too early. I hope to be in bed by then.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 29, 2004
A 16 year old Lagavulin has just been removed from its cabinet in anticipation.

Grant
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 29, 2004
I’ve never thought of myself as an extreme right winger, but is there any room for me left in Holland? 🙂 My graduate degree is in Criminology, and if people would take an economic view of a couple of these controversial issues, they’d see a big benefit in following the lead of countries like Holland. However, that’s not likely to happen here.
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Feb 29, 2004
Bob —
Best wishes on your retirement! Going for the gin & vermouth now…and where did I put those olives?
Bob Warren
J
jhjl1
Feb 29, 2004
Beth perhaps you misunderstood me. I said only the "extreme right wingers" might think those in Amsterdam were "living in a Sodom and Gomorra". I personally think most Americans are more accepting of others than that. From reading your post I take it you have no problem with it even though you majored in criminology. Enough about politics I am looking for some blueberries for my martini.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
I’ve never thought of myself as an extreme right winger, but is there
any room for me left in Holland? 🙂 My graduate degree is in Criminology, and if people would take an economic view of a couple of these controversial issues, they’d see a big benefit in following the lead of countries like Holland. However, that’s not likely to happen here.
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 29, 2004
Beth, you are welcome. We have a spare room since my son left the house a few years ago. We could be working at daytime and in the evening we might sit at the keyboard and practise Elements.

To make this offer extremely attractive: I happen to have, like almost everyone in this area, a very fast internet connection.

Now I’m going to bed as I had very tiring day visiting a major trade fair for about 6 hours.

😉

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 29, 2004
Bob: Pulled the Grey Goose out of the freezer (!) in your honor. A bit early, but….

Best wishes to you on your retirement! Hope you do a better job of staying retired than I have…

Chuck
JD
Juergen_D
Mar 1, 2004
Bob,

This bumper sticker seems to be appropriate for the occasion… I found it today. Again, congratulations!

Cheers,
Juergen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 1, 2004
Bob

Doreen is sipping Godet, rich and chocolaty, and toast you in Inuit "Chimo".

I sit here sipping on my scotch and recite the Scottish toast

"here’s tae us, wa’s like, damn few an’ they’re aw’ deid! "

Grant
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Mar 1, 2004
Happy New Year! Whoops . . . wrong occasion. Happy Retirement, Bob!! Actually, I think the two are kind of related. Enjoy 🙂

Marilyn Lee
SS
Susan_S.
Mar 1, 2004
Enjoy your retirement Bob! (fashionably late – it’s ten to 11 monday morning here!) I toast you – but only with coffee I’m afraid.
J
jhjl1
Mar 1, 2004
A Ramos Gin Fizz is quite good in the morning.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Enjoy your retirement Bob! (fashionably late – it’s ten to 11 monday
morning here!) I toast you – but only with coffee I’m afraid.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 1, 2004
Bob,

Have a great retirement … I decided to have a glass of white wine AND brought along some nibbles ….

Anyone want one? 🙂

Wendy
J
jhjl1
Mar 1, 2004
And a dance perhaps?

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Bob,

Anyone want one? 🙂

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 1, 2004
Anyone brought along the CD’s?

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 1, 2004
I have CD’s! What kind of music do we prefer?
J
jhjl1
Mar 1, 2004
Listening to "Mississippi John Hurt" recorded in 1965 live at Oberlin College.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Anyone brought along the CD’s?

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 1, 2004
I’m a big Bob Dylan fan …. but also like classical, rock, country … most things really.

Sadly I can’t play music at the moment as its pretty late … so I’ll just hum along 🙂 🙂

Wendy
J
jhjl1
Mar 1, 2004
Wendy I have a new CD my son just sent me, Dylan and the "Dead". Obviously it is not new but newly released. We will play it next.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
I’m a big Bob Dylan fan …. but also like classical, rock, country
…. most things really.
Sadly I can’t play music at the moment as its pretty late … so I’ll
just hum along 🙂 🙂
Wendy
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Mar 1, 2004
I’m kind of old fashioned — I like the Three Irish Tenors, especially Anthony Kearns.

Marilyn
J
jhjl1
Mar 1, 2004
Marilyn, Joan and I have a lot of classical so don’t let our difference in music keep you away next time you visit your mother. Spring is right around the corner.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
I’m kind of old fashioned — I like the Three Irish Tenors, especially
Anthony Kearns.
Marilyn
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 1, 2004
Marilyn, I’m afraid my tastes are more toward Three Dog Night…..

🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 1, 2004
Better late then never, right? Got tied up earlier with a fellow that didn’t want to change into jail cloths. He did.

<toasting Bob with cup of hot, heavily creamed Millstone Caramel Coffee> 🙂
Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 1, 2004
ok, here I am again, 2 clicks too late. Cranberry Juice and tylenol PM…cheers !
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 1, 2004
Jodi, maybe you should try some pease porridge….
😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 1, 2004
Chuck, now my stomach is churning….i don’t deserve this ! By the way, just got your last mail…I love it !
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 1, 2004
Jodi, sorry…..
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 1, 2004
Chuck, it’s ok…really …I’m OK…she aint dead yet…. Monty Python ?
R
RobertHJones
Mar 1, 2004
First of all, let me say that I am completely overwhelmed by your enthusiastic response. I feel truly blessed.

I’m finding that retiring is similar to getting married. At first, it’s something you think you’ll eventually do someday but it’s too far off to worry about. Then, you realize you’re ready to settle down and that you’re looking forward to it. But, as the big day approaches, you get a little nervous, and wonder if you’re doing the right thing. Then, you’ve done it and a moment of panic sets in as you think "What did I get myself into?" But, that’s temporary as you lose yourself in the joy and freedom of the honeymoon. Later, reality sets in and you realize that your life has permanently changed and there are some tough decisions to make and that it’s not always going to go the way you imagined. Fortunately, you have your spouse and children and friends to help and there are many rewards along the way.

I’m very much in my honeymoon period and enjoying my new found freedom very much! That doesn’t mean I’m setting around doing nothing. I’m probably busier than I have been in years. I expect reality will set in relatively soon – – certainly, under six months. But, I’m looking forward to all that will be coming my way.

When I married, I was unprepared for what was to come. I didn’t know that, of course. We decided to have children early and then discovered that my wife had developed a serious cronic illness. I still don’t know how I managed to get though those tough times, but I do know I couldn’t have done it without the support of my friends.

Now, I’m no longer torn between the demands of work and home; And, my children are fully grown. I’m looking forward to spending some quality time with my wife and re-establishing many of my former interests and passions – – especially photography and music.

I don’t know what is yet to come, and I’m still not sure I’m ready for all of it. But, I’ve got friends! Bring it on!

Thank you!

Bob
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 1, 2004
Robert J, Oh what the hec, so I am a week late … Here’s ….. to you! I hope you will have the wonderful retirement that you’ve so long dreamed of. My wishes are so much richer than my Turning Leaf ‘Sauvignon Blanc’
Marty
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 1, 2004
Congratulations, Bob… Salud!
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 1, 2004
And I’m finally home…from a wonderful chamber music concert in Pasadena, followed by a dinner party with fellow concertgoers. I’m only about seven hours late to the party, but…anyway…cheers, Bob! I hope you make the necessary "adjustments" a little more gracefully than I. Enjoy your newfound freedom!
Nert
TF
Terri_Foster
Mar 1, 2004
All right! No more working for the man!

Terri
J
jhjl1
Mar 1, 2004
For some odd reason my headache seems more real than virtual this morning.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
A party? What are we celebrating?
ML
Marty_Landolt
Mar 2, 2004
Bert B, "…Wimps…" and instant oatmeal. Like Instant coffee, I guess I am a full fledged wimp. I seldom ate oats of any kind and always had fresh ground flavored coffee. Not any more! Since I had an instant hot water gadget put in my sink it’s so easy to have the winpy stuff.
Marty
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 2, 2004
Awww, Marty! Instant oatmeal AND instant coffee!
Sigh. What’s the world coming to…:)
Bert
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 2, 2004
here is my fattening favorite…instand grits drooling in butter with 2 eggs over easy sleeping on top 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 2, 2004
A Grits a delight that you can’t get in Canada, well not readily that is. I have never made the instant kind but I am told, unlike instant oatmeal, instant grits are almost as good as the real kind. Last time I was in Florida I brought back tons and tons of grits as I do have a passion for cheese grits.

Grant
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 2, 2004
Let me add my congratulations and belated toast to Robert! Being on vacation without Internet Access is a bummer! Just got back from the Florida Keys last night. Looks like it’ll take me a week to catch up with things on the Forum.

Congratulation Robert Jones, enjoy your retirement!

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 2, 2004
Dick, welcome back ! You missed the foot of snow NC got…ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha …oops, sorry 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Mar 2, 2004
Just what is a Grit? …. we don’t seem to have them this side of the pond!!!. I have heard them mentioned on TV programs but never known what they are …..

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 2, 2004
Wendy, it’s part of the wheat..’omni’..amazing how they can get so much out of that little plant head !….AND horses love it 🙂
J
jhjl1
Mar 2, 2004
From the website here: http://www.grits.com/discript.htm

Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native Americans centuries ago. They made both "corn" grits and "hominy" grits.
Falls Mill produces "corn" grits.
Corn Grits
Falls Mill mills locally grown whole white hybrid corn. The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content, then each kernel is cleaned with forced air. The kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where they are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits and the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product. This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before cooking. Yummy!

Hominy is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water (potash water in the old days) and stirred over the next day or two until the entire shell or bran comes loose and rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed several times, they are spread to dry either on cloth or screen dryers.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Just what is a Grit? …. we don’t seem to have them this side of the
pond!!!. I have heard them mentioned on TV programs but never known what they are …..
Wendy
J
jhjl1
Mar 2, 2004
See post to Wendy.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Wendy, it’s part of the wheat..’omni’..amazing how they can get so
much out of that little plant head !….AND horses love it 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 3, 2004
oh geeze, so i guess I’m an idiot. I always thought it was another part of the wheat…well, it’s grown in a field…so i was close…i’m such a duh.
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 3, 2004
Jodi,

I didn’t "miss" the snow at all! It was fun watching the news in 80 degree weather!

The neighbors said we only got about 3 inches. The lucky folks east of us really got most of it!

Dick, glad to be home for now!
J
jhjl1
Mar 3, 2004
Jodi you must have grits confused with cream of wheat.
One of my favorite grits recipes:
1. Make grits according to directions. Add shallot and garlic that has been caramelized.
2. Add your favorite hot curry powder or paste to grits.
3. Spoon grits into muffin tins and put in frig for 4 hours.
4. Sauté curried grit cake in olive oil
5. Cook shrimp in a papaya, mango, Vidalia or Maui sweet onions and tamari sauce.
6. Spoon this mixture over grit cake
The sweetness of the sauce with the heat of the curry is a real treat

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
oh geeze, so i guess I’m an idiot. I always thought it was another
part of the wheat…well, it’s grown in a field…so i was close…i’m such a duh.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 3, 2004
James, it’s nice of you to try and not make me look like an idiot….but I am….i really thought grits were part of the wheat. Actually, if there is anything I hate more is going to a restaurant and ordering grits only to find cream of wheat on my plate ! Gosh, they may be the same color but nowhere near the same thing ! Afterwards the waitress always says…" Oh ya hon, we don’t have the real grits’….with that stupid baked on smile….well, shit…tell me that to begin with !!! I waitressed for many years and i know how to get a good tip…start by telling the customer the truth to begin with ! Anyways,…i guess I’m ranting…one of those days…my phone line keeps cutting in and out and the repair people have a ‘will get to it eventually’ attitude…gosh, i pay for the service…i want to use it ! Phew…i feel better now…needed to let off some steam..your recipe has made me hungry !
TF
Terri_Foster
Mar 3, 2004
I have a funny grits/cream of wheat story too. Quite a few years ago when I did basic traing at Ft. Jackson S. Carolina they had grits as a breakfast item. Luckily, for me I was a southern girl and know what grits are…and how to eat them. (Butter and salt with a touch of pepper in my case.) I really got a kick out of the Northern kids thinking that was Cream of Wheat and dumping sugar and in some cases milk on them. I watched in dumbfounded amazement what they were doing. It was hilarious the way their faces screwed up when they got that first mouthful. I had to explain to a couple at my table that that wasn’t the worst cream of wheat ever but grits. That’s my trip down memory lane.

Terri
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 3, 2004
Ah, Grits, truly the "breakfast of champions" or lunch or dinner too, for that matter. Since moving to NC I’ve really gotten to like them. You sure can’t go to a restaurant for breakfast without ’em!

Grant, I’m with you as well, I love cheese grits. I like to cook up a batch, mold it into a loaf pan, chill it throughly then slice and saute.

Dick
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 3, 2004
Wendy

A while back you asked what "grits" were I suspect the nearest you can get to them in Europe is "polenta". A Emeril Lagasse, a famous American chef, once describe the difference between polenta and grits was a fancy restraint and $8 a plate more. The truth is grits are not as finely ground and lend themselves to really earthy, down home cooking. Once you get a taste for them they become comfort food. They are often served at breakfast as a side but … there are so many ways of preparing them it is hard to pin down one and say that is grits. I suppose that really clouded the water now.

grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 3, 2004
I’ve lived in the southern US for a total of 21 years….and have never had a single grit. Oh, I had chances….but I so detested Cream of Wheat as a child that I couldn’t look at them without thinking of it. Perhaps someday I’ll break my fast….
🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 3, 2004
Chuck, I like it the way Terri likes ’em…hot with butter and salt & peppa….give them a try…my favorite is having them with over easy eggs on top…hmmmmmm, sssoooooo good. It is NOT like cream of wheat !….totally different taste.

Terri, another great story !
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 3, 2004
OK, Jodi – maybe someday……

🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections