LO
Posted By
Luis ORTEGA
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i’ve been with photoshop since version 3. over the years, i have really appreciated the history undos and found the version 7 upgrade a nice one with the file browser addition. some of the text capabilities has also been nice to have in earlier versions.
from what i can see, there isn’t much new in CS apart from the activation crap which i totally resent and don’t want to reward them with a purchase. what are the important new features in CS, from the users’ perspective (as opposed to the marketing hype)? is it worth upgrading or should i wait around for version 9?
thanks for any advice.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JJS
Feb 18, 2004
"Luis ORTEGA" wrote in message
[…]
from what i can see, there isn’t much new in CS apart from the activation crap which i totally resent and don’t want to reward them with a purchase. what are the important new features in CS, from the users’ perspective (as opposed to the marketing hype)? is it worth upgrading or should i wait around for version 9?

Download a full-functioning version from Adobe and try it out.

If you hate CS’s authorization, you are going to hate CS2 – It will require a DNA specimine.
B
bhilton665
Feb 18, 2004

what are the important new features in CS, from the users’ perspective (as opposed to the marketing hype)?

There are several new things that make it an excellent upgrade for digital photograhers. Several threads on this the past couple of months which you can search for and read if you’re interested.

is it worth upgrading

Depends on what you need it for. I got in at 4.0 and have been upgrading ever since, and CS is no doubt the best upgrade yet, but then I’m a photographer.

Download the demo and check it out for yourself.

Bill
B
bhilton665
Feb 18, 2004

If you hate CS’s authorization, you are going to hate CS2 – It will require a DNA specimine.

I heard a retina scan … 🙂
JK
JP Kabala
Feb 18, 2004
Depends. Photographers and videographers love the changes. Illustrators got largely ignored this go-round.
There are a lot of nice workflow things that, by themselves, aren’t anything special, but in context are nice to have if not very sexy.

I’m mostly an Illustrator, so I’m still waffling.
I’m not going to get into the activation thing again– I wouldn’t not buy an app because of it, but it’s a pain.
I think I’ve finally decided to upgrade to the suite
because the changes to Illustrator and In Design
make up for the ho-hum attitude I have toward PSCS

But I’m waiting until I have time to set up an
standalone workstation without a net connection
because what I DON’T like is that it phones home when you open the app "to look for updates" and turning it off appears not to be an option. I hate it when
Acrobat does it, I hate it when XP does it,
I hate it when AutoFX does it….but those can all
be disabled. I don’t like softwear that drills holes
in my firewall. I trust Adobe, but sooner or later
someone nasty is going to figure out how to exploit
that breach– and my WORK is on this computer.
Yes, I back up, but I don’t leave my car keys
in the ignition, give my credit card numbers to
strangers on the phone, etc. either

i’ve been with photoshop since version 3. over the years, i have really appreciated the history undos and found the version 7 upgrade a nice one with the file browser addition. some of the text capabilities has also
been
nice to have in earlier versions.
thanks for any advice.

S
Stephen
Feb 18, 2004
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:09:28 -0000, "Luis ORTEGA" wrote:
what are the important new features in CS

For photographers, there is a very simple but incredibly useful feature: a single slider to pull details out of shadows, and another to darken highlights. I thought it was a gimmick but after I repaired half a dozen problematic images with just a couple of clicks, I decided this alone was worth upgrading to CS.
C
Clyde
Feb 19, 2004
Stephen wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:09:28 -0000, "Luis ORTEGA" wrote:

what are the important new features in CS

For photographers, there is a very simple but incredibly useful feature: a single slider to pull details out of shadows, and another to darken highlights. I thought it was a gimmick but after I repaired half a dozen problematic images with just a couple of clicks, I decided this alone was worth upgrading to CS.
What I didn’t expect to be so useful was the automated features in File Browser. The work flow for large numbers of photos is SO much better because of these. I can do most of my standard editing of photos almost completely in File Browser.

You can adjust the color, exposure, rotate, run actions, and convert file formats all just from the File Browser. I can now let the computer do the work on the hundreds of photos from a session. Man, that really saves time.

If you are a pro or amature who does a lot of photos, this alone will pay for CS many times over.

I also like the Shadow/Highlight feature and have put that into actions that I ran from File Browser.

Clyde
N
nospam
Feb 21, 2004
On 2004-02-18, jjs wrote:
[…]

Download a full-functioning version from Adobe and try it out.

There is always the Internet crack that will allow you to use it without activation. And as long as you have a license, they can’t prove any damages.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections