Dec 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many of you will be greatly saddened to read this:

< http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/13/bruce-frasers-serious-il lness/>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Dec 14, 2006
I just read that last night. I knew he was ill, but I didn’t know it was so serious.

Besides having always wanted to meet Bruce to talk about Macs and Photoshop and color, I always dreamed of being able to jam some music with him (he plays bass and the Chapman stick <http://www.oranj.com/prostory.html>).

After reading that, I was inspired to open up GarageBand and start working on a tune that’s tentatively titled BruceRGB, with a nod toward the jazzy experimental style he enjoyed.

I’m deeply saddened by this news.

πŸ™
B
Buko
Dec 14, 2006
I knew he was sick but thought he was coming out of it and recovering.

I’m bummed.
B
Bernie
Dec 14, 2006
I’m bummed.

Can’t say I knew him, but I knew his work and is appearances here were always appreciated.

πŸ™
GB
g_ballard
Dec 14, 2006
Grandma always told me it ain’t over till it’s over…I hope the hospital has a nice color scheme..take care, Bruce, you are the best writer I ever read.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2006
The URL which I posted this morning has changed slightly. Those who wish to add a message can now do it here:

< http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/14/bruce-frasers-serious-il lness/>
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 15, 2006
You have not lived until you have partied with Bruce.
J
JasonSmith
Dec 15, 2006
This….sucks.
D
Dirk
Dec 15, 2006
I never partied with Bruce but I went to the "Epson Print Academy" seminar in Dallas early this year where Bruce was one of the speakers. Afterwards I got to talk to him one on one. I found him to be a very pleasant person to talk will. Being there to hear him talk about color management was pretty cool!

The "Epson Print Academy" seminar is just not going to be the sameΒ…
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2006
I never partied with him either.

so I’m going to party as If he were here.

In his honor.
JC
John_Cornicello
Dec 15, 2006
Yes, let’s all raise a glass of 18-yr-old Macallan Scotch to Bruce.
JF
john_findley
Dec 15, 2006
I don’t know him, but I’ve enjoyed his clear and illuminating writing, both books and in here. I’ve learned a lot from him and am very grateful. I hope all turns out for the best.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Dec 15, 2006
A master at communicating your invaluable knowledge with respect and good will. We all learned something from you Bruce.
All the best that you wish for, we’re with you.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 15, 2006
Ave atque vale
AW
Allen_Wicks
Dec 16, 2006
Than you Bruce.
P
povimage
Dec 17, 2006
As a philosopher, I’m supposed to say something about how Bruce’s passage makes sense. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. So I can’t do that.

I don’t know of anyone even close to being able to fill his shoes, much less the innumerable footsteps he has left behind.

Jason is right: "This sucks."

Keith
J
JasonSmith
Dec 17, 2006
I wish I could’ve had better words of wisdom to say, but that’s the first thought that came to mind, and I’m usually a man of passion when it comes my choice of words and actions.

Second thought that came to mind, this might just be what I need to kick the nicotene habit(w/o being really sure if that’s the cause of his ailment).

And yes, I will be toasting to Bruce with a glass of 18year Macallen.

Bruce, I for one am not willing to say goodbye and I can only hope and pray that all of this turns around for the better. And I look forward to your continued presence both in this life and in these forums for a long time, and wish you a healthy and prosperous life for years to come.
P
povimage
Dec 17, 2006
I posted my earlier comment assuming folks knew Bruce has already passed..

Steve Werner, "Bruce Fraser seriously ill" #6, 17 Dec 2006 1:16 pm </cgi-bin/webx?50/5>

Here’s the blog note on Bruce’s passage. <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/in_memoriam_bru.html>

Keith
P
povimage
Dec 17, 2006
We need to think of some way to give Bruce a proper Panda Farewell.
S
SteveV
Dec 17, 2006
An absolute gentleman on these forums, he would always take the time to explain things to me without the need to tell me to RTFM.

What a truly sad day for this forum.
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2006
Words are futile. What a terrible loss!
RR
Reed_Reed
Dec 17, 2006
I wish I could have known him in person, but only got to learn from him by reading his written words. This is a sad, sad day and a terrible loss to the world and knowledge. He was truly a scholar and a gentleman.
J
JasonSmith
Dec 18, 2006
No, I did not know that.

I was hoping for the best.

At least it was not years of suffering and more drawn out than it had to be.

Damn.
CB
charles badland
Dec 18, 2006
What a loss. But what a great legacy. This man has done so much… He has educated thousands, probably tens of thousands through his writings.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Dec 18, 2006
Farewell to both a great soul and a true pixel genius.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 18, 2006
I will miss Bruce, even though I did not know him.

Very sad news, I hope those that did know will have opportunity to celebrate his life in some wonderful way.
J
JasonSmith
Dec 18, 2006
My early days here in these forums, I didnt know who Bruce was.

Although others would treat him with the utmost respect at the very site of his posts, I had no idea of his pedigree in this profession, and quite frankly didnt care.

I would just post my own opinions & observations, sometimes in contrast to what Bruce’s opinions & observations would be.

Yeah, he’d have some retort, and most of the time he’d be correct. About that time, I did some research on the "Bruce Fraser" that I had been interacting with, and realized how lucky I was(and still am) to be able to be on these forums with someone of his aptitude.

At that time, I didnt know him as an accomplished author of photography/photoshop, I just knew him as a great dude that knew what the hell he was talking about.

But at no time did I think that *he* thought that he was better than any of us out there, no attitude – he just treated us as people trying to do what we do. He would always be supportive, try and show us the path – even if we didnt want to know that path.

Here he will always be one of us.
C
CygnusX1
Dec 18, 2006
I can only say that I have lived/breathed his books but never met him in person.

truly, truly sad I genuinely feel the loss.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 18, 2006
If you have never met bruce in person – and as personal as I have, then you would never really understand what a great man we have just lost….

Forget about Photoshop for a minute and see the man.
-macman
Dec 18, 2006
Just came across an entry by Dan Margulis’s at the bottom of this page… <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/in_memoriam_bru.html>

Interesting reading…
S
SteveV
Dec 18, 2006
It was an interesting read indeed, love Dan or hate him, he also helped me understand colour space in the nineties along with the evil Colorblind program which, if anything taught me to understand calibration and the necessitity of profiles.
DG
David_Garrett
Dec 19, 2006
Never met the man, but my life was illuminated nonetheless.

He is still very much among us, scattered about the world for anyone to find. In fact he’s sitting on my desk right now, and I know he will again be guiding me in my quest.

And…the cosmos holds a special place for anyone who masters a Chapman Stick.
J
JasonSmith
Dec 20, 2006
MO (and others that knew him) – I’m really very sorry for your loss.

While I feel like I’ve known him as a person, I cant even pretend to know what it was like to know him in person. My only form of communication with the dude was through a keyboard & mouse, through the intertubes. I cant pretend that I’ll miss his smiling face, I cant pretend that I’ll miss his laughable sneeze, but I can promise that I will miss him…heck I dont even know if he had a laughable sneeze. I only wish I could’ve been graced by his presence in person at least once, but as it stands I’ll have to settle for being graced by his presence here.

What kind of car did he drive? What was his favorite TV show? What to get him when it was his birthday? I will never know any of these things, but for the people who do – I’m very sorry. I truly feel like there is a part that’s missing from this community, a part that can never be replaced.

Funny world, this cyberphotoshop place, until something like this happens.

I have some good friends that work at the Scott Kelby camp, I’m sure it’s going to be a somber Christmas this year at KW.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 20, 2006
Jason,

I will write up a life experience about Bruce in his honor when the Chrismas chaos slows down. It’s insane at work now….

well, more so then usual.

btw…I miss him dearly…..
J
JasonSmith
Dec 20, 2006
yo crayo, I feel you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections