EP
Posted By
eric_pritchard
Dec 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two external 250Gb Firewire drives set up as a mirrored pair using Softraid 3.5 for storage and back-up. All of the files are either PSD or TIFF (and a few are .fff scans from an Imacon), and although I can see the file names, sizes, etc. on the drive(s), when I attempt to open any of them in Photoshop, I get a "this is not a tiff file" or "this is not a photoshop document" error message, and the file will not open.

Cause: Running Tech Tool Pro, I did a "secure erase of free space" on one of the drives. I think this probably damaged the file headers or something. Unfortunately, the RAID software seems to have then duplicated the problem onto the secondary disk, thus killing my back-up.

Attempts to Fix: I have tried Disk Warrior, Tech Tool Pro, and Mac Disk Utility, and all the available tools of those three apps to repair things. Disk Warrior doesn’t actually see any problems when it scans the files. It did see a fragmented directory, which I allowed it to replace (on one of the two drives). Tech Tool Pro thinks things are OK as well on the disk tests, but doesn’t work in file recovery mode due to the SoftRaid driver being installed on the drives.

Questions: Does anyone know of a file recovery program that might solve my problem? I have downloaded a few shareware or demo version file recovery apps, but I haven’t yet had any luck (most seem to be for PC, and I’m on a Mac G5 10.3.9). Are there any users out there that have been successful in recovering corrupted Photoshop files? It seems as though professional recovery services want about $8000 to recover a 250Gb drive, and as a poor artist I can’t afford that. Any suggestions, links, or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bernie
Dec 14, 2006
Have you tried opening the files in another software like Graphic COnverter or (on the PC), Irfanview
EP
eric_pritchard
Dec 14, 2006
I had luck with one or two files in the Preview app, but Hadn’t thought to try Graphic Converter. I wasn’t really sure if any of my other apps would recognize psd files. Thanks for the suggestion.
TG
The_Green_Hornet
Dec 15, 2006
This happens with photoshop & .psb often.
Unfortunatly, .psb is not recognized by GC 🙁
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2006
Illustator just might work.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections