Can I compress some areas of an image more than others?

V
Posted By
vmdonnell
Nov 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a high-quality image that I need to save as a JPG that is 10K in size. When I do this, there is significant artifacting. One part of my image is text and the artifacting makes this text illegible. I would like to isolate this area of the image and compress it LESS than other image areas. I have both a flat and layered version of the source image but I cannot seem to figure out how to do this. I am using SAVE FOR WEB to save it, and then just using the JPG compression slider which affects the whole image.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2006
Experiment with the settings available by clicking the little icon to the right of the "Quality" box.

(The text should be on its own layer.)
B
Bernie
Nov 11, 2006
I have a high-quality image that I need to save as a JPG that is 10K in size

Hate to break this to you, but a 10K is by no means a high quality image, or if it was, it’s not high quality anymore…

And no AFAIK, there is no way to compress parts of an image more than others
TM
Trevor_Morris
Nov 11, 2006
You can apply mask-based compression using Photoshop’s Variable Compression feature–the mask icon to the right of the Quality control (for the JPG format). Note that this produces mixed results and does not work well for all images. As others have said, however, 10KB is not a very high quality image (unless the dimensions are small, or the image is principally composed of solid or graduated colors).
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Nov 11, 2006
The only way I know to achieve selective compression like this, is for a web page, by using slices so that image slice is made into its own file, be it JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc. On a web page those multiple slices would be assembled in a table so as to appear to be a single image.

Regards,

Daryl
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 11, 2006
And no AFAIK, there is no way to compress parts of an image more than others

See what Trevor and I said. If you run Save for Web on a layered file you can select one compression for the text layer and another for the rest.

I’ve done it and it works!
B
Bernie
Nov 11, 2006
Cool, I really did not kow that (says the guy who only runs SFW to post an image on pixentral) I’m print, not web (at least as far as images are concerned, I do write for a webzine)
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 12, 2006
OR use selective compression and an alpha channel with SFW or ImageReady…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections