Which Image Format is Best for InDesign?

AG
Posted By
Arnold_German
Dec 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In the InDesign forum, the highly recommended image formats from Photoshop are TIFF or PSD. I would like to ask the opinion of you good folks here if there’s anything wrong with a PDF from Photoshop because the guys who process our pictures have all of a sudden got a liking for them and our pagemakers are complaining. They think the TIFFs are of superior quality. If Photoshop PDFs are alright, where could our photo processors have gone wrong? Thanks in advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Dec 13, 2006
PSD or PDF or Tiff.

any of them work
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2006
… but EPS files are not recommended.
B
Buko
Dec 13, 2006
EPS suck
JO
Jim_Oblak
Dec 13, 2006
PDP is generally best. (but there are always conditional issues that might make other formats more suitable)

You cannot trigger Photoshop to edit a PDF file from InDesign. InDesign will trigger Photoshop if the image is in PDP format (the same thing as PDF).

PDF/PDP is better than PSD because vector elements render as vector in InDesign. PSD files with vector data appear as raster/bitmap to InDesign.
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 13, 2006
In files without vector data one has to be careful to use ZIP compression, not jpeg and then the quality will of tiff and pdf will be identical.

EPS will have the same quality also but I agree with the sentiments here because there have a host of other issues.

I would like to know more about PDP–it is not a file format I’ve ever come across.

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2006
Concerning Photoshop PDFs and Vectors:

ONLY the Vectors which were originally created inside Photoshop (such as unrasterized Type) will remain as Vectors when placed in InDesign.

If you added Vectors from a program like Illustrator to your Photoshop file as a Smart Object, it will be rasterized when the Photoshop PDF is placed in InDesign.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Dec 13, 2006
I would like to know more about PDP–it is not a file format I’ve ever come across.

You would not have come across this if you do not work with Windows users. The issue of opening/editing a Photoshop PDF from InDesign on Mac is not an issue because Mac OS knows to open a Photoshop-generated PDF file in Photoshop. That is the benefit of the Mac file system.

However, if you collaborate with Windows users, you would need a PDP filename extension instead of PDF if you want InDesign to trigger Photoshop to edit the PDF file.

< http://indesignsecrets.com/make-edit-original-use-the-right- program.php>

<http://www.nickhodge.com/mn8/article/861/>
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 13, 2006
I like the PCP format the best.
AG
Arnold_German
Dec 13, 2006
Thank you, everyone. I’ve learned more than what I wanted to know. I wouldn’t have known about PDP had I not asked. And I think I should have posted this at home, in the InDesign forum, I mean. I have met you all there. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections