WF
Posted By
William_Ferris
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having installed PSE 2.0 today, I read in the manual that I should calibrate my monitor by setting it to values of 128 in the RGB and then run the Photoshop Gamma utility. I can’t seem to find how to set those values. My monitor is a 19" Sony Trinitron CRT. Additionally, I am using a graphics card which controls my monitor to a degree which is an ATI All In Wonder Radeon 7500 64 meg DDR. The graphics card utility has a tab that leads me to RGB adjustments but does not have any values that reflect the 128 that Elements speaks of. Just three slider bars with the 0-100 options. I suspect that I shouldn’t use this means of resetting but somehow do so within the monitor controls itself. At any rate, I’m left rather confused so I thought I would seek insight from this board. Thank you for any consideration in advance.

Pentium III (1000 mhz)
512 meg SDRAM
Windows XP Home Edition
ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 w/64 meg DDR

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
Feb 25, 2004
William,
The 128, 128, 128 RGB values are for the background color. They can be setup in Control Panel under Display properties . Click the "Appearance" tab and select the small dropdown box named "color" . A small box will appear with 20 colors in it and an "other" button . Click the other button and you will get the advanced dialogue and you can fill in the RGB values directly on the right hand side.

Hope this fits your needs.

🙂

Brent
WF
William_Ferris
Feb 25, 2004
Brent

Well I went there but here is what is displayed in the drop down color box. I have twenty colors listed from "brick" to "wheat" then two additional choices, "windows standard" and "windows classic", no listing for "other" on the list.
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 25, 2004
AHHH!

I hate XP, anybody know where it is ? ( I’m using Win2k, but it’s the same in Win98, also ).

William, what you’re describing is called "Schemes" on my pc. Look more to the right center of the Appearance TAB screen for a very small box labelled "color". I suppose it’s possible that its not there, but it’s very easy to overlook.

🙁

Brent
J
jhjl1
Feb 25, 2004
Click the advanced button while on the appearance tab.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
AHHH!

I hate XP, anybody know where it is ? ( I’m using Win2k, but it’s the
same in Win98, also ).
William, what you’re describing is called "Schemes" on my pc. Look
more to the right center of the Appearance TAB screen for a very small box labelled "color". I suppose it’s possible that its not there, but it’s very easy to overlook.
🙁

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 25, 2004
Brent I just went poking around through everything I could find about displays, monitors, schemes, appearance, acceleration, etc. on XP Pro, and I couldn’t find it either. Maybe somebody else will come to the rescue.

William, have you tried just running Adobe Gamma without first setting the RGB values? You can create more than one profile, so if you find those settings at a later time you can recalibrate.

Now, this is heresy to some people (Hi Brent!), but I’ve found that I didn’t need to calibrate the CRT I’m currently using on my Mac. I did it, but the results I got after calibration were no better/worse than leaving it at sRGB. The matches I get between what I’m seeing on the monitor and the printed image are so close that I can’t see a variation. That Sony is an extremely good monitor; if you haven’t already, you might want to print a couple of pics and see just how badly it does need to be calibrated. Maybe you’ll find that it doesn’t!
J
jhjl1
Feb 25, 2004
Beth it’s properties>appearance>advanced>Click on small color dropdown>other

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
Maybe somebody else will come to the rescue.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 25, 2004
Thanks, James! I got it. Finally. 🙂
JL
Jim Lloyd
Feb 25, 2004
In XP it’s under the Appearance tab inside the Advanced button. Beside the Item drop down which probably defaults to Desktop is the Color 1 button. This is what you are looking for.
WF
William_Ferris
Feb 26, 2004
Well folks, here is the outcome. I followed a number of paths, ended up confused and decided to just go ahead with running the Adobe Gamma Calibrator anyhow. That in itself was an experience and at times I felt unsure of decisions, but made the choices with my fingers crossed and ran through it beginning to end. I must say that my desktop and website appearances came back to a more vibrant life, which is one of the results I was looking for since it seemed that my monitor was a bit "washed out" in colors before I started this project. However, now my on-screen photos seem a bit too dark. I also had not read the tip from "jhjl1" until I went to post this and that tip was right on the money. For some reason I got email notification for the first two posts but none of the others so I didn’t know. My isp bill came yesterday and shows that I was online 167 hours last month and I know I’m offline working another 100+ hours each month so I’m just going to break down and buy one of those Colorvision Spyders. Pricey but what the heck. I’ll charge to calibrate other monitors and recover the overhead eventually. Thanks for all the input, I’ve had a very good first experience with these forums because of y’all. By the way, my printer has always done a super job at printing which is a Photosmart 1215. Once again, thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections