SH
Posted By
steve_herzberg
Dec 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am looking for a way to deliver my images on CD "locked" so that they cannot be changed, in any way, but they can be printed.

Does anyone know how to do this?

My concern: When I crop to create the look I want, I don’t care whether the ultimate image will be 4×6 or 5×7. I just know what I want in the frame.

For example, I might tell my clients — here’s an 8×8. Print it on larger paper and mat it to fit the frame of your choice.

I don’t want a lab to turn it into a 5×7.

Short of printing it myself, which I don’t want to do, is there a software way to "lock" the image to protect it, but still allow printing?

BTW — I retain ownership of the images and license their use under conditions that include no alterations of any kind without my written permission.

My friends tell me to let go, just take the money and run, but this is my "art". I take time to get it where I want it and my name goes on it.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 9, 2006
Possibly with a properly configured PDF. Do you have a full version of Acrobat?

Need to hear from the PDF experts, Maybe look on the Acrobat Forum.
SH
steve_herzberg
Dec 9, 2006
Yes, I do have the full version. I’ll look in the Acrobat section.

Thanks for the suggestion.
sjh
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 9, 2006
You can "Password Protect" Acrobat Pro documents … but people who use other PDF programs can apparently burst right through the Protection.

8/
B
Buko
Dec 9, 2006
I you want complete control you must do it yourself.
DR
Donald_Reese
Dec 9, 2006
I must admit that i find it strange you are worried about someone cropping your image a bit, but you are willing to accept how outside sources may print your photo. I agree you are being a bit overzealous in trying to control everything. if someone purchases the usage of your photo,cant you stipulate the amount of change you are willing to tolerate. i can imagine this will come back to bite you if you start telling editors they cant touch a thing. you may find them looking elsewhere.

I understand wanting to keep your images as you present them,but you are going to drive yourself to drinking.what happens if someone buys a print and then mats over part of it? i dont think you can insure the result you seek.
R
Ram
Dec 9, 2006
What Ann says in #3.

There are commercial programs that will generate a totally unprotected PDF from a supposedly "protected" PDF in seconds.

Relying on PDF document security is an illusion.
B
Buko
Dec 9, 2006
Yeah if I’m creating a magazine and I buy your picture to publish I’ll pretty much crop it to how I decide its going to look good in my layout.
SH
steve_herzberg
Dec 9, 2006
I agree that the ability to control one’s image depends on the context within which it was shot or licensed.

I was looking at the easier question, if I am in a situation where control is possible, what are the software solutions available, if any.

From what the responses are telling me, there are no software solutions.

The real route is to print them myself or use someone who will do it my way.

Thanks.
R
Ram
Dec 9, 2006
From what the responses are telling me, there are no software solutions.

Correct.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections