NS
Posted By
Nathan_Swartzendruber
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for a digital camera for our office at work–in itself not a big deal. I’m also supposed to be doing some light design work, and Microsoft Paint just isn’t doing it for me. So instead of bringing my own computer in, I’d like to kill two birds with one stone and get a camera that includes PSE.

Except that I’m looking online and having no luck. When I look up specific cameras at, say, Amazon, PSE isn’t mentioned. When I look at the manufacturer websites, PSE isn’t mentioned. Maybe I’m just looking at the wrong brands/models, but if there’s a list out there, I’d sure like to see it. If folks chimed in with cameras they’ve bought that included Elements, that’d be just as helpful.

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N
nytrashman7618
Feb 24, 2004
I bought a Canon Digital Rebel (300D) and it came with PSE 2
J
jhjl1
Feb 24, 2004
Reviews at this site normally list included software.
http://www.dpreview.com

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 24, 2004
I don’t know about cameras but I know of two other gadgets that come with PSE. My Wacom Graphire 3 tablet came with PSE1, and my Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner came with PSE2. You can mark the Canon S50 off the list of cameras with photoshop…it comes with an Arc Soft program.

Terri
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 24, 2004
But don’t choose a camera based on whether or not it comes with Elements. Picking out a camera that meets your needs should definitely be a much higher priority than the software that comes with it. Canons, for example, are excellent cameras, but the fact the S50 doesn’t include Elements would be a poor reason to exclude it from consideration if it would be the best camera for your purposes. PSE didn’t come with my old S30, either, but I’m really glad that’s the camera I chose. I was able to get PSE 2 at Amazon for less than $25AR.
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 24, 2004
Oh, don’t get me wrong. I adore my Canon S50.
NS
Nathan_Swartzendruber
Feb 24, 2004
I’ve bought a couple digital cameras in the last two years, so I’m not entirely uninformed. With non-techie co-workers, it’s harder to convince them that necessary software is actually necessary. So the "If I could find" isn’t an imposed limit. We’re using the camera for documentation, so CCD/output size and ease of use are much higher considerations than color precision.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 24, 2004
OK, Nathan, I was just wanting to make sure! We get posts from users with a wide range of expertise, and it’s not always easy to tell if we’re responding to someone with a lot of knowledge or very little. Over time us regulars tend to assume the lower end of the scale if we don’t know for sure. Making assumptions has gotten us into some very confusing threads from time to time!
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 24, 2004
For a while all the Olympus consumer cams were advertised as including PE2 (but I haven’t seen that mentioned in the ads since Christmas I don’t think, – and it may have been an Australia/Pacific region only deal)
NS
Nathan_Swartzendruber
Feb 24, 2004
Sure, that’s fine. I’m new at my job right now, too, so I’m still trying to convince the IS guys that I know what I’m talking about. (No, honest, I don’t think putting an extra 128mb stick of ram in this Pentium2 will help me much.)

Anyway, back on topic, it looks like a few of the Nikon cameras include Elements. Any good things to say about that brand?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 24, 2004
Nathan, Nikon is a premier brand in both film cameras and digitals; hard to imagine going wrong with any of their models. I’ve always had Nikon tastes but a Canon pocketbook….

🙂

Chuck
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 24, 2004
I bought the Nikon Coolpix 990 about 3.5 years ago, it is a fantastic camera, but very heavy. Then the electronics failed, so bought the CP 4300, and its a great little camera. However the 990 pictures are better, can’t really explain, as I am not a camera techie, but they are better overall(better Macro too).
PSE was not bundled with these cameras, but PSE was available at Amazon with good instant rebates, rebate or not, PSE is worth every $.
I had the 990 repaired by the New York Nikon facility, and its as good as new. Jane
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 24, 2004
PSE 1 came with my Fuji S2 Pro; nevertheless I bought the boxed PSE 2 too as it comes with a manual. (You remember, that good old fashioned stuff on paper) 😉
If you are spending on a high resolution digital camera, the price of PSE 2 is peanuts. It is rather easy to convince your colleagues. Just tell them what they would do with a computer without a decent word processor?
PSE is probably the most powerful image processor.

Leen
NS
Nathan_Swartzendruber
Feb 25, 2004
Manu… Manual… You know I do remember those. I’m actually an old Photoshop user, so I’d need it more to see which limits are imposed and which you can sneak around.

It looks like I’ll be heading to Best Buy or the like with some model numbers in hand and see what I can find. Oh, and my iPod playing to try to warn off the salespeople.

Thanks for all the tips, folks.
D
davidcontreras
Feb 25, 2004
Nathan,
A corvette is not a yugo and a nikon is not an instamatic. I have a nikon ftn film camera. The only thing digital about this camera is my fingers holding it. Nikon makes a quality product. Same for canon. The canon g5 is a quality camera. Frugal me is waiting for another price drop for the nikon d100. Now I am reminded about the d70.
david

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections