Inkjet Labeling CD/DVDs – something to research before doing it?

BH
Posted By
Beth_Haney
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just read a post on another forum that might be significant to any of you who have a printer that will label CDs or DVDs. The guy was asking for ideas for getting a CD out of his internal burner. He’d run a blank CD through his inkjet printer to label it, and then he put it in the computer for burning. He got distracted, and the CD stayed in the burner for a couple of hours. When he went back to get it out, it was stuck up inside. Apparently the prolonged heat generated by the computer had fused the labeled side of the disk to the upper area of the drive.

There are some unknowns here – obviously, but it does make a certain amount of sense that the ink on a recently-labeled anything may stay soft for a while. I know I’ve learned to let pictures dry for a couple of days before framing them to give the ink time to dry thoroughly. It isn’t hard for me to imagine how a freshly labeled CD could get stuck under circumstances described above.

So, if you use an inkjet to label your CDs, either make sure the ink is very dry before burning or don’t forget to take the disk out of the drive as soon as the burn is done!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DG
David_Gairo
Feb 24, 2004
Seems to me that the way to do this is burn first, then label.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 24, 2004
Well that’s how I’d do it, too, but apparently not everybody does or this guy wouldn’t have had that one stuck! 🙂
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 24, 2004
Now WHO was it who said don’t bother labeling picture CDs and WHY did they say that? Is it OK to label picture DVDs?
Marty
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 25, 2004
Now WHO was it who said don’t bother labeling picture CDs and WHY did they say that?

I think you mean me, Marty. I didn’t exactly say "picture CDs" but any CD that is going into a computer drive. Just because of things like Beth described. You don’t have to be writing the disk for the label to come unstuck like that. Just use a marker. Same thing for DVDs.
R
Ray
Feb 25, 2004
Barbara, I have lost your e-mail address, and I have a couple Mac questions, and I don’t think this Forum is the right place for me to post them. Can you please write to me ?

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 25, 2004
Hi, Ray.

Check your mail. 😉
R
Ray
Feb 25, 2004
Done that! Now, check yours.. 🙂

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections