BE
Posted By
Ben_E_Hayes
Dec 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason, on the system I am using ( OSX 10.4.8 ) in both Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2, the ‘bold’ weight for the Verdana font is missing. The other 3 weights are all present and work OK (‘normal’, ‘italic’ and ‘bold italic’).

However, in other programs all 4 styles are available and function fine.

The system has Suitcase fusion running on it, version 12. Not sure if that may have an effect. I’ve tried turning Suitcase Fusion off, and it doesn’t seem to help.

Any ideas? Is there some sort of Adobe font cache file that can be cleared or something?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
If there is no bold Verdana there is no bold Verdana. Photoshop allows you to do a Faux Bold but it is not a real bold and you could not make outlines or save as PDF and retain vector.

with Illy and ID, thes apps do not have a Faux Bold like Quark or MS Word. this is bad layout and your printer hates Faux Bold as it causes problems at the RIP.

So consider yourself lucky that Adobe is saving you from yourself in this instance.
R
Ram
Dec 8, 2006
Ben,

Try Font Finagler to clean your font caches.
BE
Ben_E_Hayes
Dec 8, 2006
Buko – there definitely is a bold style version of the font on the system. I can see the font files and see it in Suitcase.

Ramon – thanks for the tip, I’ll try that – is it possible to delete the files manually rather than installing yet another program…?
I
iGary
Dec 8, 2006
I used to use Font Finagler, but have since changed to FontNuke. There is no harm to installing either of them. They are self contained little and simple apps that just reside in your Applications folder.
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
yes and they don’t delete font data bases by mistake.
I
iGary
Dec 8, 2006
I’ve never heard of anything deleting font databases. Who’s the villain that’s done that?
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
I was referring to it being done by someone who does not know what they are doing, instead of using an app made cleaning caches.
BE
Ben_E_Hayes
Dec 9, 2006
OK that really helped guys, thanks. All versions of Verdana back now, which is great. How often do you guys usually run these programs?
B
Buko
Dec 9, 2006
weekly or bi weekly

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections