R
Posted By
Ram
Dec 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone had this before? I just left this message on the Apple discussion boards:

Turtle-dove sounds emanating from DP MDD 1.25GHz G4

Posted: Dec 6, 2006 1:42 PM

OK, I know this sounds weird (pun intended) but this is a first for me after 22+ years using Macs.

I’m thoroughly familiar with the clicking sounds of a dying drive, knocking and grinding, loud fans, etc.

But for the past few hours I have been subjected to these new, persistent sounds as if there were a couple of turtle doves inside the computer. Most of the time it’s a series of short bursts, just like the call of a turtle dove over and over again. Occasionally it’s a long, sustained sound, as if a turtle dove were trying to imitate the call of a wolf.

Sorry about the use of these animal analogies, but it’s truly the best way I know to describe my G4 going wild.

Question: What’s your best guess as to which component is going south on me? Hard drive, fan, what other moving parts are in there?

I realize this sounds funny, and I’m even chuckling myself even though I know this cannot be a good thing, but I’m dead serious. This is exactly what’s happening to my G4 right now.

Thanks in advance.

[EDITED to add: link to turtle dove sound:
<http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/wwwsounds/birds/hardy98sh.wav> ]

Dual 1.25MHz MDD G4, 2GB RAM, 4 int dr.,2ext FW drives Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Dec 6, 2006
Of course I realize this might belong elsewhere, but I cannot post there.
BJ
Bob_Janusz
Dec 6, 2006
You found my pigeon. He must have mistaken your Dual 1.25 MDD G4 for mine.

Don’t play any podcasts by Steve Jobs or he’ll poop on your airport card.
R
Ram
Dec 6, 2006
No Airport card here, Bob. 🙂
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 6, 2006
Wow! That’s really strange! Poultrygeists!
B
Buko
Dec 6, 2006
Its Xmas.

You have 2 turtle doves. B)
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 6, 2006
Damn I wish I hadn’t played that, looks like mine is infected too! Is that even possible??? It just started making this noise…

<http://www.goannaprint.com.au/drivenoise/macnoise.mp3>
B
Bernie
Dec 6, 2006
Sounds like a sparrow is also in there at the end.
R
Ram
Dec 7, 2006
Phil,

I get a 404 error on three different browsers. You must have removed the sound file.
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 7, 2006
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 7, 2006
It either needs bird seed or WD40?
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Dec 7, 2006
Go back to OS9, it’s the best OS ever.
Or that Turtle sound might come from that brain inside your head.

Frenchie.
DR
Donald_Reese
Dec 7, 2006
Sounds like it should be in a star wars sound track perhaps.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 7, 2006
Sounds exactly like a fan going bad (goodness knows I’ve heard that more times than I can count).
R
Ram
Dec 7, 2006
Chris,

Sounds exactly like a fan going bad

Which one, Phil’s or mine?
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 7, 2006
Yours.

Phil’s sounds like a bird sancturary.
R
Ram
Dec 7, 2006
Aaaaaaah… Thanks, Chris. I was hoping for something simple like that.
KJ
Kathryn_Jenkins
Dec 7, 2006
Its Xmas. You have 2 turtle doves.

And a partridge in a B Tree…
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2006
This could have been a coincidence, but I ran Cocktail, Repair Disk, Repair Permissions, and DiskWarrior and turned off the Mac that night (Wednesday, December 6). I powered it back on on Thursday, and I have not heard the turtle doves since, nor any other noise emanating from the G4.

A slight weirdness I had seen in my browser is also gone.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2006
I always turn-off every night after running Cocktail.

It takes less than a minute to reboot in the morning and the computer seems to remain sweet-tempered if it gets a good night’s rest.

(I am not so sure that the same can be said for its owner however.)
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Dec 11, 2006
Changes in temperature or humidity can effect the noise (or lack there of) made by fans.

I have a Powerbook with a fan that only "chirps" when the computer is awoken from sleep mode after sitting in a cool room all day (somewhere between 55 and 60 degrees). As the computer cycles the fan speed, the chirp noise will increase in volume and tempo. Rebooting generally solves the problem.

So, it could be a combination of factors, including temperature and the actual fan speed itself. Perhaps a certain fan velocity is only hit occassionally and that is the only time all the pieces are in place to generate an audible noise.

The reboot may cycle the fan to a "normal" speed range again, eliminating the noise (or at least cycling it down to a frequency the human ear cannot detect).

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections