MP
Posted By
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m try create an action that includes re-sizing images for printout.

How can I set the Image Size parameters so that all my images will be the same printed size regardless of their rotation (portrait or landscape)?

For example: Create 4×6 files at 300dpi. How do I get the long dimension to be 1800 pixels regardless of whether PS sees it as the "height" (portrait) or the "width" (landscape).

Thank you,

Marsh

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 5, 2006
Look at ‘Fit Image’.
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
I believe "Fit Image" only changes the display. I’m looking to physically change the file size and resolution for printout.

Marsh
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 5, 2006
Fit Image will change the pixel dimensions. The resolution stays the same, therefore the file is physically changed.
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
Sorry if I’m misunderstanding…

Are you referring to the "Fit to media" option under Print with Preview? If so, that’s different from what I’m attempting.

There is also the "Fit Image" option under Layer Variables, but I don’t see how that applies either.

I want to physically change the image size and save it to send elsewhere for print. I would like to automatically change images to X" x Y" (or Xpix X Ypix) regardless of image orientation.

In other words, I’d like to be able say " Make the long side of image X" and constrain the proportions. Everything see requires you to manually determine whether the "long" side is the width or the height.

I could use Image Size with ‘percentage’ as the units, but reducing to an absolute size would require starting with the same size original each time, or creating a separate % action for each original size.

Thanks again,

Marsh
CB
charles badland
Dec 5, 2006
File>Automate>Fit Image
Just type in the longest side in both Height and Width.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 5, 2006
" Make the long side of image X" and constrain the proportions.

File > Automate > Fit Image…

Try it 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2006
What you are looking for is:
File menu/Automate/Fit Image
—–
Edited:

As Carl said!
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
OK, I’m catching up with you, but I’m still not there. 🙂

Hopefully, I’m just doing something wrong.

The results of Fit Image (identical to Edit>Image Size), are dependent on Width value (horizontal dimension) and the Height value (vertical dimension).

Let’s say I have a folder with 2 images; both 3000 x 2000 pixels originally. Image #1 is landscape; Image #2 is portrait.

Now, I would like to batch save these images to 4" x6" at 300 ppi (800×1200). In the Fit Image or Image Size dialog I enter (or script via action) the following values:

Width: 1200 pixels
Height: 800 pixels

Image #1 will come out 1200×800- OK; Image #2 will come out 800×533 – BAD

In the action needs to set the longest side of any image (also regardless of orignal image size) to 1200 pixels (or 6") without me telling whether it’s the width or height dimension. I suppose I could run separate batches for portrait and for landscape, but I know there has to be a better way.

Thanks for your patience with me…

Marsh
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
Fit Image seems to be the answer when you want an image to fit within a given bounding box. Like a computer monitor that’s 1024×768 –That way both portrait and landscape images will fit on the screen without crop. In this case the portrait’s must be smaller than the landscapes in order to fit.

I’d like ALL my batch images to end up the same absolute size, regardless of orientation, regardless of original file size.

Many thanks,

Marsh
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 5, 2006
You have to pick what the longest dimension is that you want, and enter that into both fields of the Fit Image dialog (so it appears as if you’re making a square).

Let’s say you enter 1200. Using your example…

Let’s say I have a folder with 2 images; both 3000 x 2000 pixels originally. Image #1 is landscape; Image #2 is portrait.

….you’d end up with the landscape image being 1200w x 800h, and the portrait will be 800w x 1200h.
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
Charles Badland said….

"File>Automate>Fit Image
Just type in the longest side in both Height and Width"

That’s it! The answer.

Thank you all, for your patience and your help. Much appreciated.

Marsh

PS. Oh, one more silly question. How do I get pictures from my digital camera into Photoshop?

Just kidding 😉
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
Actually, now that you’ve solved that, I do have a more intelligent question.

If you reduce the image size via Fit To, do you lose image quality in the downsampling? or will it resample similar to the Image Size command?

Marsh
CB
charles badland
Dec 5, 2006
I would guess if the "Fit To" command downsamples your images, it will use the interpolation method chosen in General Preferences. Usually Bicubic Sharper is better for downsampling.
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
That would make sense.

BTW — I also just found the "Fit to" option in the Image Processor script. It behaves the same as the File>Automate>Fit to.
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2006
PS. Oh, one more silly question. How do I get pictures from my digital camera into Photoshop?

Use a card reader and copy them to your hard drive then burn them to CD/DVD before changing or modifying anything.

Never copy the files directly from the camera to the computer.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections