JC
Posted By
Jane_Carter
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is way OT, but it does have a computer connection,,,,,,, I have a camouflaged microphone that is made to transmit the bird sounds into the house to a receiver.
It is really neat this time of year with our nasty weather, as we can hear the birds as they sing around our feeders
in the yard. But the problem is that when the computer is on(my Macs) they seem to transmit a high pitched squealing sound to the receiver in the kitchen. I believe this thing uses FM frequency.
Any ideas of why or how to fix it without turning the Macs off? Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobHill
Feb 22, 2004
Jane,

Usually squeels are due to sound "feed back", which means your microphone is picking up your speaker sound and the "loop" creates the squeel. Try either turning the kitchen speaker in such a way it won’t direct sound to your mike area, or turn down the speaker. See if that doesn’t help.

If, the squeel only goes to that one speaker, is it a wireless speaker? If so, then you are receiving perhaps another signal, and if it’s one of the 900 Mhz type frequencies, you may be picking up signals from the kitchen microwave oven. If that’s the case, try moving the speaker (only if wireless) away from it as much as possible.

Bob
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 22, 2004
Hi Bob, It is wireless, and the transmitter is about 75 feet behind the house today, sometimes I have it on the porch if its raining. It can be anywhere out there.

But its the receiver that picks up the computer, its not the microphone type feedback(like my son-in-law has with his guitars and mikes) but its almost like a whistle. The kitchen microwave is off.
So its gotta be my Macs. It is fine when the computer is off, I tried that this morning. It can also transmit to an FM radio, but I bought the wireless receiver so we can put it anywhere in the house.
I finally found that I can position it far away from the computer, and the noise will go away.

Thank you for the explanation! As always, I learn something new here every day. Its a fun toy, the Blue Jays will make you jump when they sound off. I bought several for the family for Christmas.
Jane
R
RobertHJones
Feb 22, 2004
Jane,

I’m glad you found the solution on your own.

The problem is radio frequency emission from your computer. At the frequencies these things run, they make very effective radio transmitters. The computers are shielded to cut down the emission but some does leak out. The solution, as you’ve found, is to move your receiver away from the computer.

Bob
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 22, 2004
Thanks Bob, This stuff is interesting. I know that my daughter’s cell phone(more powerful than mine) makes the computer speakers buzz and pulse.
We have a huge radar defense system near here on our local Air Force base, and some people have been worrying about it, but it is beamed out into space, so all the studies have come back saying it is safe for all.
It sure is an impressive installation, we have taken a tour thru it. Its astonishing what you can see on their screens!
Oh, here I go getting OT again,
Jane
JR
John_R._Collins
Feb 22, 2004
Hi,

OT also: Go Blue Jays!

John (in Toronto)
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 22, 2004
I expected this to be an item about Charley Parker.
Unfortunately.

Leen
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 23, 2004
Jazz and baseball, that’s OK too.
Jane
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 23, 2004
Jane, would you like to be my lady bird? 😉

Even more OT; why didnot the US baseball team qualify for the Olympics? Afraid of the Dutch and the Cubans? 😉

Leen
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 23, 2004
Because they are all pros, they make vast amounts of money, they are very commercial, and all they talk about now is how much money they make and can possible spend on fancy cars, and whatever. I am very disappointed in professional sports, as it has turned into a huge money machine.
Sorry for the rant, but most American professional athletes are not my heroes any more. Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections