CS
Posted By
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Frédéric: There is currently no RAW converter plugin for Elements of which I’m aware; many of us use third-party software (Capture One LE, BreezeBrowser, etc.) to perform the conversions outside of Elements, then process the converted images in Elements. An extra step, of course, but workable.

Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SR
Steve_Ritter
Feb 22, 2004
Isn’t the idea that first one would apply some processing while the file is still in raw format and then do a conversion?

Otherwise, what would be the point of bringing the raw file in only to convert it to something else in order to work on it?

Steve
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 23, 2004
Steve,
The PS Camera Raw plug-in and most other Raw converters will allow you to do a certain number of corrections on White Balance, exposure, sharpening etc, before conversion. After doing those things, further tweaking will normally be done inside of Photoshop or Elements.
Rich
T
Tel
Feb 23, 2004
I agree, Steve,

There aren’t any of my images which don’t get some treatment with the Canon File viewer utility before exporting to 8 bit tiff, even if it’s only contrast and exposure compensation.

[And not addressed to Steve]
OK, it takes some time but it’s not so bad if you do all the corrections on the thumbnails and look at the histogram, then set the conversion going and go and have dinner.

Don’t forget the Canon raw format is, I believe, 12 bits and so there is some latitude for this compensation. Elements will only read 8 bit tiffs so I figure you have to do it in the FVU unless you have the full Photoshop which will read 16 bit tiffs. I’m not sure how it otherwise handles the conversion itself but as we all know how well auto adjustments work…

Tel.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections