JC
Posted By
Joe Crupi
Nov 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One thing I find REALLY annoying in Photoshop is when you duplicate a layer/layer set, the layer is renamed with the word ‘copy’ added to the end. This is a real pain in the ass as I am a layer name Nazi and having to remove the word ‘copy’ is frustrating.

Any ways to stop Photoshop doing this?

I tried Googling without luck…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 22, 2006
So that you don’t end up with 50 layers all named "Layer 1".

No, there is no way to stop it.
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
One thing I find REALLY annoying in Photoshop is when you duplicate a layer/layer set, the layer is renamed with the word ‘copy’ added

Well you could type a whole new name when the dialog pops up.
DK
Doug_Katz
Nov 22, 2006
Hmm. I don’t think you qualify as a layer name Nazi, Joe. Real Nazis would actually revel in this sort of thing. Every time the word "copy" is added, it presents an opportunity to do some exterminating….
JC
Joe Crupi
Nov 27, 2006
Thanx guys but you really haven’t answered the question.

Firstly, my primary use of PS is to create interfaces. This often means multiple layouts of similar layouts etc. It also means that my PS files are handed over to the Developers and friendly layer naming makes the overall process quicker.

Buko – I use Command + J to duplicate layers and use the Alt + drag technique on layer sets to duplicate my layers. Dialogue boxes never pop up as they slow things down.

Doug – I’m not really out there to experiment. Just wanna speed up my workflow without having to spend time renaming multiple instances of buttons, text boxes, backgrounds and all the other objects that make up an interface!

Cheers
P
Phosphor
Nov 27, 2006
"…you really haven’t answered the question."

The question was:"Any ways to stop Photoshop [from appending ‘copy’ to a layer’s name when I duplicate it]?"And Photoshop engineer Chris Cox answered:"No, there is no way to stop it."I think that pretty much covers it.

NEXT!?

🙂
B
Buko
Nov 27, 2006
Dialogue boxes never pop up as they slow things down.

Apparently adding the word copy is slowing you down too. So you can have a dialog box pop up and rename the layer or rename the layer after its duplicated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections