VH
Posted By
VICTORIA_HAWKINS
Nov 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know how to convert a cmyk image to sepia easily? I’ve played around with the channels but can’t get it to look right. I’m using Mac Photoshop CS. Thanks in advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PC
Paul_Cutler
Nov 22, 2006
Try a curve adjustment layer and lessen the cyan – that should get you started…

peace
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 22, 2006
Add Hue/Sat layer, turn on ‘colorize’ (in the adj layer’s palette) and use Hue slider to adjust colour.
L
Lundberg02
Nov 22, 2006
Let your Epson do it.
CB
charles badland
Nov 22, 2006
Isn’t there a default Sepia Action?
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
Make your image grayscale then duotone.

you can then change it back to RGB or CMYK
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
You may not know what a duotone is.

its a 2 color image.

Black and whatever color of brown you want.

Actually it can be any 2 colors most use black and a PMS.
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 22, 2006
Nobody reads #2….

Charles, the default sepia droplet does it the way I said (except that it desats first, which may or may not be necessary)….much easier than duotone.

;^)
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
I read it.

I just gave another option.
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 22, 2006
Sorry, Buko, didn’t aim that at you….(fingers faster than brain sometimes)
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006

B)
CB
charles badland
Nov 22, 2006
For some reason I thought the default Sepia action was more than just a Hue/Sat colorize. Guess not. Don’t real sepia prints have a more of a duotone look? (Farmer’s Reducer -cyanide?-, then the rotten egg smelling bath… those were the days.)
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
Don’t real sepia prints have a more of a duotone look?

Nobody reads posts 5 & 6
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 22, 2006
Must be all the chemicals….
Remember how using potassium ferricyanide reducer used to make your fingernails yellow? Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone was a great window cleaner…
And tapping the top of the arc lamp rod with your finger to fire the arc! Aaahhh the good old days.

Actually, sepia is cuttlefish ink, which was used for writing. In photography it is an accident of fading so there is no ‘correct’ tone, just what you like.

The hue method I find easier (I used to do duo’s, then channel mixer) if choosing colour by eye because you can go through a lot of options more quickly, but duotone method for consistent match to a specific tone.
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
I certainly don’t miss the chemical days
P
PeterK.
Nov 22, 2006
If you push D to get the default black and white values before you go into hue/sat and click colourize, it starts you off with a sepia tone-like colour.
JF
john_findley
Nov 23, 2006
potassium ferricyanide reducer used to make your fingernails yellow?

I certainly don’t miss the chemical days

(OT) I spilled Nitric Acid on the back of my hand in Chem 102 lab. Skin itched, turned yellow, and peeled off like sunburn.
P
ps1
Nov 27, 2006
To add to Buko’s recommendation, I found a tritone tutorial that can be found Here <http://www.photo.net/photo/sepia/index>

I’ve tried many iterations of the sepia technique but have found the above to be the most "darkroom like" — I did change the Ink 1 80: field from 0 (zero) to nothing (select the zero and delete) and the ink 3 from Pantone 24-1 to 24-7, — as always YMMV.

Geoff

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections