RB
Posted By
Randy_Baer
Nov 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS2 on my MacBook is taking FOREVER to open images. These aren’t large images, just like 60 MB or so JPG (uncompressed size, so about 5 MB compressed). What on earth is taking the system so long? And how to fix it?

TIA!

R~

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 20, 2006
Well, opening images always takes disk access time.
Is the progress bar always moving slowly, or does it get 90% of the way then pause for a while? (which would indicate that some system call is taking forever)
RB
Randy_Baer
Nov 20, 2006
No, it’s that I get the spinning wheel, then nothing for like five minutes. Finally, I get the clock and it opens in like 5 seconds. It’s like there’s some weird pause before it finally decides to "open" the image.

R~
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 20, 2006
Ok, still sounds like the OS is going away for a while.

Check your default printer and see if it’s set to something unavailable. Try changing the default printer to something else.

If that doesn’t work, try resetting the Photoshop preferences.
RB
Randy_Baer
Nov 20, 2006
I dumped my PS prefs and changed to a different printer. No difference. It’s so weird, because it wasn’t having this problem until earlier today. Then whammo. I’ve seen this happen on a Mac Mini as well, but we figured it was just some weird quirk on there.

Any other ideas?

R~
RB
Randy_Baer
Nov 20, 2006
One other weird thing – it opens up in no time in Image Ready. This is very strange.

R~
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 20, 2006
Something that Photoshop calls inside the OS is taking it’s sweet time returning.

So you need to think about what might have changed since it was last working normally. That could be as simple as network settings, or a program you added, or some OS option that you changed, etc.
RC
Ric_Cohn
Nov 20, 2006
If you haven’t changed anything (even adding a bad font or having a font get corrupted might do something like this) check how close to full your disk is. If it’s close to full Photoshop could be choking.
LP
Lisa_Paully
Dec 21, 2006
Randy, I am sure you have resolved this by now but thought I would share for anyone with the same issue. I was having the same problem and called adobe and finally we figured out it was because i was using bridge to view photos on a disc and it was causing some cache issues. So when I removed the disc from the drive the problem was solved. Hope that helps.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections