A
Posted By
appleconsulting
Nov 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a client who is experiencing corruption while transferring .psd files over their local network. When sent to another computer on the network, the .psd files open with horizontal lines across the image. The switch and cat 6 cables have been replaced and it is still happening. The CS2 suite has been reinstalled on the G5 and still no resolve. Anyone else seeing this issue? Hope to hear back from someone regarding this. Confusing.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Nov 13, 2006
The images (all, or just occasionally?) open as corrupted when transferred over the LAN?

Do any new images created on the recipient computer show any problems after they are saved to the local hard drive, then reopened?
R
Ram
Nov 13, 2006
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
P
Phosphor
Nov 13, 2006
It’s good advice, Ramon, but from what I gather, the O.P. is not trying to save over a network, but rather simply transferring a file to another computer.
R
Ram
Nov 13, 2006
Phosphor,

This is what I focused on, the word network:

while transferring .psd files over their local network.
AR
alan_ruta
Nov 13, 2006
You’re correct Phoz, the problem stated has to do with transferring files over a network from one computer to another. Nothing in it as I can see about saving, opening, closing over a network.

That being said, confused you have some troubleshooting to do. My guess (since the problem seems to occur after someone has transferred a file to antoher computer) I don’t think CS2 is the problem.

My wild guess is that it is bad HD sectors or bad RAM. Maybe have them make much more space on the receiving computer/drive and degrag and then see what happens.

However if the problem never happens on that computer when just opening and saving then there might be a network noise problem. What speed and what kind of (is it managed) switch are you running?

alan
B
Buko
Nov 13, 2006
Put the files on a CD. use that to copy the files to the Hard drive.

Do you see corruption in the files?

Make a simple network with a laptop or another computer in the room. copy files over is there corruption?
SR
Stefan Rakete
Dec 13, 2006
We have the same error saving over the network mutiple times a week with all kind of filetypes.

Stefan
B
Bernie
Dec 13, 2006
Avoid saving over the network. Save locally instead and copy the file to the server.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections