CK
Posted By
Chris_Kresser
Nov 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry, somehow my email notification was screwed up and I didn’t get this reply until tonight.

I just ordered 2GB of RAM, for a total of 4.5GB. I’m assuming I should use 70% as the memory allowance?

I have not updated to 9.0.2. I’m running 9.0. Should I update?

Running OS 10.4.8

PS and OS X are installed on 74GB Raptor boot drive. Scratch disk is the other internal HD (400GB) that has about 250GB free.

I’m not sure I’m seeing "slow performance" per se… just looking to maximize it as much as possible. Opening and closing files takes longer than I’d like, in particular. I might be pretty close to the limit with my hardware.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 7, 2006
Opening and closing files is dependent on the speed of your hard disk, and the speed of Photoshop’s scratch disk.

Having multiple disks, or a RAID array, would help.
CK
Chris_Kresser
Nov 7, 2006
Hmmm… my hard disk is 10,000 RPM, and the scratch disk is 7200 RPM. So I guess a RAID 0 is the next step up.

Thanks!
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2006
I just ordered 2GB of RAM, for a total of 4.5GB. I’m assuming I should use 70% as the memory allowance?

With 4.5GB you’d be OK with close to 100% memory allowance for Photoshop. Try 90 or 95%.

I have not updated to 9.0.2. I’m running 9.0. Should I update?

Yes.

PS and OS X are installed on 74GB Raptor boot drive.

Make sure you have at least 15GB free on that one.

Once a hard drive gets to 85% full, you are in deep trouble.
B
Buko
Nov 7, 2006
You be better off to use the raptor for the scratch drive and put the system and apps on the slower drive.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections