Posted By
marcboisclair
Nov 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi guys!

My problem is really simple. When I select a pixel with the eyedropper tool, the color goes into the "background color" square instead of the "foreground" one. How can I change this?

Thanks a lot!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
this is covered in the FAQs.
M
marcboisclair
Nov 9, 2006
this is real sweet of you but i don’t find it anywhere…
P
Phosphor
Nov 9, 2006
Were you able to find the FAQ section here?

If not, why not? Your answers could be forwarded to those in charge of the design of the forums. In fact, they are asking for suggestions about how to make things easier to find. (Whether they listen and implement those suggestions is another story entirely! :))

If yes, then go back to that section and read a little more closely.

This is not directed specifically at you, Marc, but I for one am getting damned tired of teaching people how to do their own navigation, exploration, reading and discovery.
M
marcboisclair
Nov 9, 2006
so what’s the forum for if we can’t post questions here? i’ve read the entire "photoshop help" about this and didn’t find anything, i’ve searched the internet but don’t know exactly what to seek for. Can’t allow to loose anymore work time on this.
B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
this is real sweet of you but i don’t find it anywhere…

FAQs is short for ++ FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs) ++ (55 topics )

this is at the top of the list on the main forum page. did you really look?
B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
BTW the FAQs are there so you, another user, don’t have to wait for an answer. We have gone out of our way to explain things that get asked over and over again.
P
Phosphor
Nov 9, 2006
"so what’s the forum for if we can’t post questions here?"

You’re absolutely right.

The forum IS here so that people can get answers to their questions.

It is NOT here to teach people to be observant. We are all responsible for our own behavior on that matter.

The FAQ section here (as it is on EVERY website that has a similar section) has been built up over the years as a place where people can quickly find answers without having to wait, and to free up the regular contributors’ time so that they can address issues which don’t get asked about frequently. Even the name of that section is suggestive of the reason for its existence.

Care to take some time to read a good primer on how to gather information efficiently? It’s helpful both online and in real life.

Have a read at the following link:
LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 8:27 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
RR
Reed_Reed
Nov 9, 2006
Marcboisclair,

The regulars here love to screw with people like has happened with you in this post. They’ll spend 10 times as much effort doing this than actually help. The answer IS in the FAQS but why a newcomer (or anyone) would want to look in the FAQS for such a question is beyond me and a search of the knowledge base does not produce anything for me either. Here’s the link:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbf6655>

which you’ve probably already found.

It’s amazing how people who have no responsibility for anwering questions here, and do so only because they want to, respond to someone who really needs help, but complain and scold the questioner, that the question is wasting their time and taking them away from answering "more deserving questions." They also think that every vitriolic scold they have previously made has been read by any new poster, who is, in advance, expected to behave according to their "rules." Fascinating.

The attitude of the people who dominate this forum really stinks out loud and is very well known way beyond this forum. It’s quite amazing that Adobe chronically allows this poor face to their products to persist in this way.
P
Phosphor
Nov 9, 2006
There’s more to learning than just the nuts and bolts, Reed.

Learning how to learn is a far valuable skill.

If a person learns to be observant, and to recognize pathways to more efficient information gathering (FAQ sections, manuals and Google being very good, concrete examples) then they are better equipped to learn just about anything they want to learn.

The time and effort spent answering simple questions—over and over and over again, simply because people aren’t adept at observation and self-sufficiency—would be much better spent by the people here who give freely of their efforts in answering questions that aren’t so easily solved by searching and reading. Those questions for which answers haven’t been well-codified and broadly disseminated.

As far as I’m concerned, the information contained in the "How To Get Help Quickly" post should be branded into peoples brains, starting in first grade.

And if you don’t like the general tenor of replies here, I have a piece of advice for you:

"Live the change you’d like to see in the world."
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 9, 2006
Learning how to TEACH is also valuable….
B
Bernie
Nov 9, 2006
Why a newcomer (or anyone) would want to look in the FAQS for such a question is beyond me

Maybe because Adobe is asking us to:

"Welcome to the Photoshop Macintosh Forum!

Before posting a new topic, please take a moment to check the Photoshop Top Issues link and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) link or folder below. Also, try the Forum Search button above. Your question may have already been answered. Thanks! "

I figure a new user should take the time to read what’s on his screen. No?

I also notice lost of posts by newbies starting with the words "I’ve done a search and gone through teh FAQs but have not found an answer" Proving that many people know to read the FAQ even if they haven’t been here before.
RR
Reed_Reed
Nov 10, 2006
It’s not about learning to read. Or learning to teach or learning anything at all. It’s about people helping people. If you want to teach go get the credentials to do that and permission to stand up in front of people who have agreed to learn from you.

If you don’t want to help, just don’t frackin’ answer. If you want to answer, then DO help. One or the other. You have no right to lecture anyone. And you have no right to belittle anyone. Help out or just shut up. I don’t care how many times you’ve posted or consider yourself an "inside member."

People come here for quick help, or knowlegeable help, or just guidance in the wilderness. And the new poster who’s having a problem is usually in a state of panic, having his or her machine vomit with a deadline looming, or just no one else to turn to.

Stop the stupid demands to ask the question in a way that’s "acceptable." That’s utter BS. And the scold that you don’t have the time to tell the person how to go about getting the answer to his problem, but you spend more time scolding than just providing a link or the entire answer is even worse.
P
Phosphor
Nov 10, 2006
Go tell your kids—or little brothers and sisters—how to behave, Reed, and leave me, a 47 year old man, alone.

And how do you know I—or anyone else whose reply style you have a problem with— don’t have a degree and a teaching certificate? You don’t.

You probably write letters to the editor of your local newspaper expecting people to change their religious and political affiliations, too.

In case you haven’t discovered it by now, that rarely ever works.

And yes, if someone is asking for help, I’m going to help the best way I know how. It can be necessary to lecture the questioner in how better to help themselves. Some folks may never have had exposure to the educational philosophies I teach and refer to. That often involves teaching someone how best to seek the information they’re after. Every notable teacher I ever had—even during college—wove those sorts of lessons into their curricula. I have been ever grateful.
B
Bernie
Nov 10, 2006
You have no right to lecture anyone

But you do?

QED
RR
Reed_Reed
Nov 10, 2006
Phos,

This is NOT a college curriculum. People do not come here for assistance with their methods of learning. They come here for quick, accurate, bullet answers. No one logs in here to be told how to study. And to the best of my understanding, nothing of the kind was envisioned when this site was set up.

Nomad,

So very sorry, I should have said you have no right to lecture someone who has asked for help, especially help in a "user to user forum." People helping people.

I do have a right to lecture someone who belittles someone else.
P
Phosphor
Nov 10, 2006
"No one logs in here to be told how to study. "

It’s just a service I provide out of the goodness of my heart.
RR
Reed_Reed
Nov 10, 2006
Phos,

Your heart’s as black as the hubs of Hades. Not that mine is any better, but I’ve made my point.
P
Phosphor
Nov 10, 2006
Evs, Mr. Stupundant.
TC
The Cleaner
Nov 10, 2006
"If you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything". Nuff said!
P
Phosphor
Nov 10, 2006
<Homer>"The Cleaner, ehhh?"</Homer>

Do you do windows?
TC
The Cleaner
Nov 10, 2006
And a whole lot more.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections