Mark_Griffin
Oct 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,
OK here’s the deal.
I have to get a new Production Mac, generally, i’ll always get the fastest possible (currently using g5quad) as I find you get much more use out of a top end mac in the long run. As I’m top of the pecking order, I’m the one who gets to use the beast.

However, I’m wondering if i could live with CS2 in Rosetta on a 3ghz Mac Pro for the 6-8 months or so Adobe are gonna take to give it to us. I’ll spec up the Ram to at least 8gigs and i’ll also probably get 4×500 gig HDs set to 2 Raid0 Volumes.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 20, 2006
As you already have a G5 Quad and are in a production situation, I’d suggest you sit tight until early next year. There have been some issues with people running some of the Adobe apps under Rosetta though Photoshop only issues don’t seem to be universal. I work on 100 to 300mb images generally and Photoshop runs just fine, much faster than my old G4. One or two of my plugins crash the app. There is a significant Rosetta performance hit which would be offset somewhat by all the memory you intend to add. Photoshop, compiled for Power PC, runs more eficiently on a G5 Quad than a Mac Pro.

If you use Illustrator and Photoshop in tandem in your workflow, I’d definitely suggest that you wait as running both at the same time tends to make Illustrator crash after a while of both being open. It’s a Rosetta thing and up to Apple to solve.
MG
Mark_Griffin
Oct 20, 2006
OK thanks for the info, yea, i always have both open.

just read in interesting article in PC mag

<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2014446,00.asp>
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 20, 2006
Personally I think you will do fine under Rosetta for 6 months on a maxxed out Mac Pro. Be sure to get the X1900 XT card as part of the box.

I am in a similar situation, except upgrading from a DP G4. Since the cash for the upgrade has not come through yet I will at this point probably wait for the quad cores due soon. Intel tower CPU power ranges will double in the next 60 days which also should impact pricing. My expectation is that we will see new MacIntel processors in Mac Pro towers no later than Mac Expo SF January 8-12.

However if my funding source requires a purchase before quad cores are available I have no problems whatsoever buying today’s MP.
C
Cindy
Oct 21, 2006
Im trying to decide whether to buy it for tax reasons this year. I am leaning towards waiting until next year.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 21, 2006
Im trying to decide whether to buy it for tax reasons this year. I am leaning towards waiting until next year.

If the new boxes are not out this year you can just order one Dec 31 and then use Apple’s 14-day return policy to get a Mac Expo box if necessary.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections