W
Posted By
Waddy
Oct 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know many use dual monitors on their Macs and am sure someone can quickly set me straight….

Can someone please tell me how Photoshop utilizes 2 monitor/profiles? Specifically, when you go into color settings and open the dropdown list and locate monitor RGB – there is only one profile listed. Why do I care? If I am using one monitor for only palettes and the other monitor to display the image, this becomes critical to know. How does this work.

Another scenerio would be using Bridge on one monitor and launching an image on the other monitor in CS2….How are both monitor profile being used. Or for that matter, if I move the Bridge window from one screen to another….

I hope someone can easily explain this to me…

Thanks for the help!

John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
The "color Settings" dialog box in Photoshop has nothing to do with your monitor profile.

Go to System Preferences… in the Apple menu > Hardware > Displays.

When you have two monitors attached, a full Display Preferences dialog box opens up on each monitor.

Do not EVER, under any circumstances use a monitor profile as working space in Photoshop’s Color Settings!

Sounds like you need to do a lot of reading on color management. Here’s an excellent start:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
Once you are properly setup with two calibrated, profiled monitors, each monitor uses its own profile.

If you move a large image across two monitors, the portion being displayed in each of the two monitors uses that particular monitor’s own profile.
W
Waddy
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks but you are making assumptions…..

Following a test put together by yours truly Bruce Fraser where I am wanting to bypass the working profile and use "only" the monitor profile. Now when you say "Never" maybe you should do some reading as well since Bruce has indicated "you should" when troubleshooting a problem display profile or to narrow down to display calibration. I will let you guys hash that out 😉

<http://www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor/>

Let me ask in a different manner that maybe you can better understand:

What is the purpose of the "monitor RGB" under color settings? I will assume Adobe put it in there to indicate something, right? If so, why does it only indicate 1 of the 2 profiles in a dual monitor system?

Thanks

John
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
That’s a different question.

Given the tenor of your last post, I’m out of here.
W
Waddy
Oct 17, 2006
Given your ego, I am glad…..
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
From the tech doc:

4. Choose Monitor RGB in the RGB pop-up menu if you wish to match color between Photoshop and Illustrator or InDesign. Otherwise, choose an RGB Space appropriate for the work you are doing (e.g., Adobe RGB [1998] for offset press, sRGB for the Web). For more information, choose Help > Color Management Assistant in Photoshop 5.0.2 or later, or contact the manufacturer or service provider of your final output device.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/321601.html>
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
My advice for others stands:

Do not EVER, under any circumstances use a monitor profile as working space in Photoshop’s Color Settings!

Do not be misled by a reference to "troubleshooting a problem". That has nothing to do with your working color space, which should always be device independent.
W
Waddy
Oct 17, 2006
I will leave it at this since you apparently are the only one that is going to post….

There is no doubt that Bruce has a large edge on you knowledge wise but I respect your desire to "be the man". Rather than dig deeper into what I was doing (which I was not asking about in my original post) you decided to teach Color Managment 101 and take the thread away from the original, specific question. I am sure that if Bruce reads this thread he will understand my intention as it was explained in his book that obviously you have not read. If you think that my intent was to use a monitor profile as my regular working space then I am afraid you have strapped yourself to these forums for too long and have drank too my cofee. I think you need to go find something that may challenge you a bit more.

But thanks for your help 🙂 !
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
There is no greater fool that one who does not desire to learn.

I’ll be happy to hear from Bruce —as I always am— and learn from him and even from you if you should happen to start making sense.
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
Incidentally, I am not strapped to anything and I hate coffee.
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
I have re-read the original post twice, and the questions posed therein are answered in posts #1 and #2.
W
Waddy
Oct 17, 2006
Hey, let it go…..
R
Ram
Oct 17, 2006
You too…
B
Buko
Oct 17, 2006
Monitor profiles are not working space profiles. I use two monitors.

each is calibrated with a puck.

each monitor has its own profile.

I work in Adobe RGB

Just because you can choose monitor RGB as a working space does not mean you should.

How are both monitor profile being used.

they are being used to display the image and give you correct color. photoshop uses the profile to display what you see because it is color managed. on the other hand ImageReady is not color managed look at the same image in IR and you will see the difference.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections