WK
Posted By
Walt Kay
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no newbie there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of the things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use for your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do is to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want to do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen tool as all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When I try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert it to an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from Wings saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there a way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did I get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
john
Feb 11, 2004
In article
<MpyWb.30054$>, "Walt
Kay" wrote:

Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no newbie there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics […]

I’m afraid I have no answer for Photoshop, but I do similar things using Adobe Streamline which can save as pre-v8 Illustrator AI files. It’s not very expensive, and you can try a free download from Adobe. The trial version has no save.

Will stand by to see if someone smarter can help us…
WK
Walt Kay
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks John.You know the funny thing is I used to have Streamline on my computer a long time ago but I never found any use for it. I wish I still had it now.

"jjs" wrote in message
In article
<MpyWb.30054$>, "Walt
Kay" wrote:

Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no
there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics […]

I’m afraid I have no answer for Photoshop, but I do similar things using Adobe Streamline which can save as pre-v8 Illustrator AI files. It’s not very expensive, and you can try a free download from Adobe. The trial version has no save.

Will stand by to see if someone smarter can help us…
M
Madsen
Feb 12, 2004
Walt Kay wrote:

I trace around the edges with the pen tool as all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When I try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert it to an .eps file.

What about the File > Export > Paths to Illustrator command inside Photoshop. Have you tried that? It only export the path(s), but isn’t it the only thing you need in Wings?

Regards
Madsen.
WK
Walt Kay
Feb 12, 2004
I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks Thomas.

"Thomas Madsen" wrote in message
Walt Kay wrote:

I trace around the edges with the pen tool as all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When I try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert it to an .eps file.

What about the File > Export > Paths to Illustrator command inside Photoshop. Have you tried that? It only export the path(s), but isn’t it the only thing you need in Wings?

Regards
Madsen.
E
edjh
Feb 12, 2004
Walt Kay wrote:

Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no newbie there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of the things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use for your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do is to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want to do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen tool as all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When I try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert it to an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from Wings saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there a way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did I get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.
I don’t think it’s going to work unless you can give Wings the .ai file it wants. However, Wings has a very good user forum:
http://pub161.ezboard.com/bnendowingsmirai so maybe they can provide some ideas.

Perhaps another app could save in the correct format. Freehand? XnView? —
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
WK
Walt Kay
Feb 12, 2004
I think I’m going to have to do that. I’ve tried Thomas’ suggestion but I get an error when I import the .ai file into Wings. Thanks.

"edjh" wrote in message
Walt Kay wrote:

Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no
there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of
the
things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use
for
your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do
is
to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want
to
do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen
tool as
all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When
I
try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert
it to
an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from
Wings
saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there
a
way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did
I
get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.
I don’t think it’s going to work unless you can give Wings the .ai file it wants. However, Wings has a very good user forum:
http://pub161.ezboard.com/bnendowingsmirai so maybe they can provide some ideas.

Perhaps another app could save in the correct format. Freehand? XnView? —
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections