JF
Posted By
john_findley
Oct 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photokit is great for lottsa stuff. Cheap at twice the price.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JS
John_Slate
Oct 14, 2006
On the other hand, a simple Image>Mode>Grayscale works just fine on a good amount of images.

It’s not rocket science, it’s only 256 levels of gray.

You don’t have to make a career out of something that can be simple.
P
ps1
Oct 17, 2006
Check out Russell Brown’s Tips and Techniques Here. <http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html> Oh, and while you’re there check out some of his other actions and scripts as well as his quicktime tutorials.

Scroll down to "Black & White Variations" and download the (FREE) script, pretty cool — of course, view the quicktime movie to see how it’s used.

Not included in the script however, (I’ve added it to the Russell Brown script) is the Burt Monroy technique: With your RGB image targeted in the layers palette, go Image > Calculations — The "Source" for both 1 & 2 will be your original document and your "Layer" will be (Usually) the Background, or the particular layer that you want to convert to B&W. For the "Source 1" channel, select Red, for the "Source 2" channel, select Green, Set the "Blending" mode to Multiply and start the opacity setting to about 80%, for the "Result" you can select New Document, or New Channel. If it’s a new channel you can select the newly created channel, select all, copy,then paste on top of your original in the layers palette.

I’ve added this to the Russell Brown Script but I make 5 layers going from the starting 80% for the opacity to 30%

Give it a try, it really is a lot easier than my convoluted description.
P
ps1
Oct 18, 2006
<edit> I should have said download the ACTION and NOT Script.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Oct 18, 2006
Yeah but its more fun to make it as complicated as possible John surely

With whats been called Caprogino’s technique (actually been used for years and don’t think Caprogino invented it) a smarter way is to use MULTIPLY mode on successive layers and having a base layer of white- controlling the opacity of these layers then behaves the same way as Channel mixer, seeing immediately what happens with the "scrubby" sliders

To achieve negative values use Screen mode in this way.

Its also possible to use the Blend If sliders to control which areas of tone from each channel you want to include, although this needs to be done carefully because it can cause breakup.

You’ll achieve much higher quality greyscales this way
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Nov 22, 2006
Convert image to LAB…Image>Mode>LAB
Control or Command A,+ Control or Command C, + Control or Command N + Control or Command V

You have just stolen the Lightness channel of LAB (which contains only contrast information)and pasted it into a new document…Add a black to white Gradient Map and Voila! Great Greyscale…

If you need to separate the highlights/shadows,dupe the background layer and add shadow/highlight to the layer and work with blending modes/opacity to achieve the look you want.

Image>Mode>Greyscale is one of the worst ways to create a greyscale, especially if your color values are closely related.
B
Bernie
Nov 22, 2006
Check this out for other methods of converting to B&W:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bba8995?50@@>
A
AlFerrari
Nov 23, 2006
Nomad,

If you read the original post, you would see that the OP is already aware of the "Caponigro" technique.
B
Bernie
Nov 24, 2006
You’re right, I misatributed another comment about it to the OP.
NW
Nick_Walker
Nov 24, 2006
I have tried the majority of B+W conversion methods, over the years, using Photoshop however Lightroom has changed my method of working.

IMHO the best conversions are on 16 Bit RAW files, using the myriad of powerful Lightroom sliders, the results are quite stunning.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections