Properly Work With Pixel Aspect Ratio (for Video)

KH
Posted By
Kenny_Hoff
Oct 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, we are creating menus for a DVD. We were told to setup a Photoshop document using the preset for DV/NTSC (720×486 w/ .9 aspect ratio). I don’t have much experience in using non-square pixel ratio (we do print only) so I’m having a bit of trouble wrapping my brain around the concept.

I designed the layout in InDesign (much more familiar and much better for layout). I setup the ID document at 720×486. Now I am needing to copy/paste the elements into Photoshop (which has a non-square aspect ratio, but the same 720×486 size).

Question:
– When trying to paste the elements in, the default scaling it tries to do is 111% x 100%. Should I accept this or force 100% x 100%?

I’m sorry. It’s just confusing to me what I’m trying to do. I don’t understand if Photoshop is showing me ‘exactly what the video will look like on a TV’ or if it will scale this to look proper on a TV.

– I.E., if I paste a perfect square from InDesign, should it be perfectly square in this Photoshop document, or a bit skewed to account for the non-square pixels?

Thanks a lot. When I accepted the ratio Photoshop wants to scale when pasting, my background element was hanging way off the sides. When I forced 100%, it fit properly. But type seems to be working a bit differently.

Aaaaggh. I think if I understand the concept properly, I’ll be able to figure it out. The help files were only ‘marginally’ helpful.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Oct 6, 2006
"We were told to setup a Photoshop document using the preset for DV/NTSC (720×486 w/ .9 aspect ratio)."

I like working directly with suppliers. If a vendor had asked me for this, I have the same questions you would have, then I would simply print out your questions as you have formed them very well here, and ask the vendor for more input in understanding exactly what they need and how to work with it. It seems like they would also be able to simply take your InDesign document and convert it to meet their needs, but I, like you, would rather gain the knowledge of how to work it, from their instructions, for the benefit of all.

Someone here may be able to answer your question, but still, I like open one-on-one (becoming more rare these days) communication with suppliers when it comes to giving them exactly what they like to work with.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections