MP
Posted By
Matt_Peharda
Oct 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My friend has this feature on his camera that makes the picture go to a grayscale and then he can make it so only certain colors appear and the rest of teh pic is still black and white.
How do we do this on Photoshop? How do we make a picture black and white and then make it so that only one color appears? I know there has to be some way but I can’t figure it out.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 5, 2006
Make a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer and set it to desaturate; and use a layer mask to prevent your chosen color from being desaturated.
PT
Phil_Taz
Oct 5, 2006
"Select/colour range" invert mask and add hue/sat layer, reduce sat.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 6, 2006
I hardly think this is a feature of anyone’s camera.

If you shot in grayscale, there would be no restoring any colors.
B
Buko
Oct 6, 2006
Why would anyone shoot grayscale in a digital camera anyway. That option just does not make any sense to me.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 6, 2006
"Why would anyone shoot grayscale in a digital camera anyway. That option just does not make any sense to me"

Maybe for the same reason Woody Allen or Jim Jaramusch (sp?) shoot movies in grayscale.

alan
B
Buko
Oct 6, 2006
shooting black and white film is much different than shooting digital.

If you have a digital color image you can have a grayscale digital image. you also have more control over how the grayscale image looks if you convert it to grayscale. If I were making a digital black & white movie I would shoot it in color and make grayscale after.

so I stand by what it said, Why would anyone shoot grayscale in a digital camera anyway. That option just does not make any sense to me.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 6, 2006
Becasue people compose a shot in their mind and eye in BW. Its very simple. You may not think that way but I’ve spoken to photograhers that do.

alan
R
Ram
Oct 6, 2006
Alan,

You gain a lot more control over your color-to-b&w conversion if you do it in post-processsing than if you leave it up to the camera to do it for you, regardless of how you conceive the b&w image in your head before actually shooting it.

Traditional b&w film photographers are much more likely to be satisfied with the greater control afforded by a post-processing conversion. I have no doubt that the in-camera gray conversion is meant for the casual shooter.
B
Buko
Oct 6, 2006
Alan that’s so much bullsh!t. I shot black and white film for 25 years and never once did I ever see a grayscale image in my viewfinder. Composing is composing either you can do it or you can’t.
P
Phosphor
Oct 6, 2006
Ummm…Are there even cameras that are meant to capture in grayscale?

I mean the CCD or CMOS is comprised of an array of sensors designed to capture color, so a conversion has to take place at some point. I’d rather have control over that conversion.

So, I guess what I’m asking is if there are sensors that capture ONLY a range of lights and darks?
B
Buko
Oct 6, 2006
So, I guess what I’m asking is if there are sensors that capture ONLY a range of lights and darks?

I don’t think so Phos I have a grayscale setting on my camera that’s why I say, what’s the point? I have much more control over the conversion if I do it and a color image too.
P
PECourtejoie
Oct 6, 2006
Matt, You should try to use the blend if sliders as well: you’ll then be able to control what colors shows through your desaturate adjustment layer.

Phoz: yes, there was: < http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/kodak-760m.sht ml>
P
Phosphor
Oct 6, 2006
Hmm… Interesting article, Pierre, Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections