M
Posted By
MLR
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need some ideas please. I need to take scans of some black and white pencil sketches, and add color to them for an author’s book project. I have been trying to basically conventionally color them using layers and setting the opacity back and using settings like "multiply" for the brushes. The drawings that I am coloring are TOTALLY conventional pencil drawings with LOTS of nice shading that keeps be from just wanding an area like I could of it was coloring book style art. Any idea as to how to do this rather quickly and easily????

Thanks,

MLR

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
Flycaster
Feb 11, 2004
"MLR" wrote in message
I need some ideas please. I need to take scans of some black and white pencil sketches, and add color to them for an author’s book project. I
have
been trying to basically conventionally color them using layers and
setting
the opacity back and using settings like "multiply" for the brushes. The drawings that I am coloring are TOTALLY conventional pencil drawings with LOTS of nice shading that keeps be from just wanding an area like I could of it was coloring book style art. Any idea as to how to do this rather quickly and easily????

Try the blending mode "color" instead of "multiply." I’m not totally clear on what you meant to say, so I can’t answer the "quickly and easily" part of the question. Hand tinting does take time if you want it to look good.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
TN
Tom Nelson
Feb 11, 2004
I’d try putting a new layer BELOW the sketch (double-click the background layer to rename it, then you can move it). Change the blend mode of the sketch to Darken.

Now paint on the bottom layer. Depending on the thickness of the pencil line, you might be able to be sloppy with your painting. The pencil will show wherever it’s darker than the painted layer beneath it.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article <LteWb.39286$>, MLR
wrote:

I need some ideas please. I need to take scans of some black and white pencil sketches, and add color to them for an author’s book project. I have been trying to basically conventionally color them using layers and setting the opacity back and using settings like "multiply" for the brushes. The drawings that I am coloring are TOTALLY conventional pencil drawings with LOTS of nice shading that keeps be from just wanding an area like I could of it was coloring book style art. Any idea as to how to do this rather quickly and easily????

Thanks,

MLR

TN
Tom Nelson
Feb 12, 2004
Upon reconsideration, it’s better to put the pencil layer into Multiply mode. In Darken, you ‘ll get a strange effect where light-gray pencil shades into color.
Tom

In article <110220040344370523%>,
Tom Nelson wrote:

I’d try putting a new layer BELOW the sketch (double-click the background layer to rename it, then you can move it). Change the blend mode of the sketch to Darken.

Now paint on the bottom layer. Depending on the thickness of the pencil line, you might be able to be sloppy with your painting. The pencil will show wherever it’s darker than the painted layer beneath it.
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article <LteWb.39286$>, MLR
wrote:

Thanks,

MLR

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections