SZ
Posted By
Steve_Zavodny
Oct 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What are folks saying about a best way to sharpen for the web. I start out with 6 or 12 MP captures, and usually take the smallest version out of camera raw (sRGB). Then I reduce in 70% increments (bicubic sharper) to 300-500 px, and use smart sharpen to taste. But I often wish I can do better. Foliage is my biggest vex. Sometimes, believe it or not, the sharpen tool works best on that tiny stuff!

And resolution 1024 always looks terrible compared to 1600. i can make it look great at 1600.

Maybe you can see what I am talking about here:

<http://www.stevez.biz/more/our_yard/august/august.htm>

#’s 1, 2, 5, 12, 13, 23, 26 for example, with the finest detail, look poor.

Thanks for ideas!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Oct 4, 2006
Then I reduce in 70% increments (bicubic sharper) to 300-500 px

I would just reduce in one shot.
SZ
Steve_Zavodny
Oct 6, 2006
hmmm tried that and saw no advantage whatsoever, in fact, looked kinda worse at a casual glance, need more studies.

Even so, dont we have any web gurus out there who can make a definitve statement: This is a very best way to prep for web presentation, sharpness wise:
B
Buko
Oct 7, 2006
I would also do it in one step.

If you want to sharpen more sharpen after the reduction.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2006
I believe that reducing size in increments has now been discredited?

Anyway, i just do it in one step and use Bicubic Sharper.
R
Ram
Oct 7, 2006
Some of the gurus may be prevented from replying due to concerns about self promotion, but I have to say that, even though I very seldom have to be concerned with web images, on those occasions when I have had to generate them, my sharpening tool of choice, PhotoKit Sharpener, does a terrific job of sharpening for web.
FT
Fred_Tedsen
Oct 7, 2006
I too reduce in one step, but using standard bicubic. I then sharpen in a separate step. You have better control over the sharpening process that way.
B
Buko
Oct 7, 2006
Bicubic sharper was made for reducing images.

I much prefer to use it as it does not give that over sharpened look.
SZ
Steve_Zavodny
Oct 7, 2006
well I’m still seeing 70% stepping bicubic sharpener maybe a little better, AND I find useful to put a tiny sharp on the file prior to reduction. I’ve also tested photo kit sharpener and on a case by case basis, find my own efforts better. I have also tested Nik sharpener, and beaten them too. Still I am dissatisfied at 1024 monitor res. Maybe that’s just an off-pixel size on my machine Apple display 21 with a max of 1600 (native?).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections