RR
Posted By
Ron_Ross
Oct 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all. I’m not certain if this is the correct forum or if I should be posting this on the Illustrator discussion.

I have a scanned image that our web designers need with less jagged edges. I had heard that it could be cleaned up in either PS or Illustrator. I understand PS fairly well and am comfortable working with it. I use PSCS2 and have been using PS since 5.0.

What I’m not too fluent on is Illustrator.

My question is this:

Can PSCS2 fix the jaggies on a scanned logo, and if not, can Illustrator?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 20, 2006
What is the nature of these jaggies? Is it an artifact of scanning at a to low resolution perhaps?
RR
Ron_Ross
Oct 20, 2006
Hi Mathias,

It’s the pixels. I thought they could be smoothed out using PS. All I seemed to have found is recommendations to blur the image slightly which does help but I’m looking more toward converting it to a vector based image with nice smooth edges. I think Illustator will do this. I now have to learn how.

RSR
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 20, 2006
Ron. Post the image at <http://www.pixentral.com> and paste the link back here.

We’ll be able to offer more constructive advice after sight of the problem.
RR
Ron_Ross
Oct 20, 2006
MJ
Mike_J_Sargent
Oct 20, 2006
Ron

I think you could try to use Illustrator and the Live Trace function, it might give you acceptable results, however the best option would be to trace it manually in Illustrator using the pen tools.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 20, 2006
Why not scan at a higher resolution and downsample?

I have made an action that will trace a graphic like this to vector in Photoshop. See <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.1de5f905.3bb3a081>

After tracing, you’d need to color the text red. Might help, but it has a learning curve. And you’d need to start out with a higher res scan.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections