DR
Posted By
David_Ryan_Hall
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am currently re learning Photoshop having switched from using the program on a PC to using it on a Mac. Most of the transition is aquanting myself with new shortcuts, but there is one quirk i cant overcome and is driving me crazy. On the PC version I can select a drop down menu and use the center scroll button on the mouse to run through the options, allowing me to preview them without selecting each one individually. This is most helpful when selecting fonts and previewing blending modes. The mac does not seem to allow this operation. Is this something that can be done, and I’m just botching it?
Im using CS right now, if it matters. THanks for any help.

<3 ryan.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
I use a Wacom stylus (not a scrollable mouse) but if I hold down the Control key, and then click on something like the arrow next to the Typeface box on the Options bar, the whole list of fonts just scrolls up and down as I hover the stylus over it.

It works similarly with a standard mouse (but is a more clumsy manoeuvre!) so I imagine that it should work with a scrolling mouse.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
The Up and Down arrow keys work just like that on the open font menu of the Character palette.

I use a one-button mouse, so I don’t know for sure, but I would imagine that the scroll-wheel mouse driver comes with a driver you can (or should be able to) set to do just that.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
But swooping an air-borne Stylus up and down the font list (hovering in mid-air a little above the surface of the tablet) is S_O_O_O much swifter and more stream-lined!

😉
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
Ann,

I’m sure it is once you’re proficient with the stylus. I could never get used to my old Wacom (in the days of ADB tablets), and I put it away in a drawer,
S
SteveV
Sep 29, 2006
Some of us could never use a mouse, some are so good with a mouse that they’ll never use a tablet.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
some are so good with a mouse that they’ll never use a tablet.

…or so clumsy with a tablet that they give up on it. 🙁
D
Dirk
Sep 29, 2006
I have a friend that uses a trackball in Photoshop. I’m all over the place using that…
L
Lundberg02
Sep 30, 2006
I love a trackball but I couldn’t keep them working. I had two Microspeed trackballs that only lasted a year each.
S
SteveV
Oct 3, 2006
I can’t get my head around that Ramon, a Wacom came to every person I know who persisted for 1 week (two max for one guy), of course it’s weird at first, but the benefits are amazing.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 3, 2006
Ramón you are the exception that proves the rule as they say (a maxim I never completely grasped). In the past if someone told me they were a retoucher and didn’t use a tablet I pretty much said "yeah right" (in my head that is).

How do you cut paths, draw hair, brush out crows feet etc.?

alan
R
Ram
Oct 3, 2006
With the mouse, Alan, with the mouse.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 3, 2006
To each his own. The first time I did a silo of a Tiger (before Knockout and FluidMask (a long time ago, like ps2 most likely) I had such a cramp in my back the next day that I bought a tablet the day after.

Whatever works is all the matters.

alan
R
Ram
Oct 3, 2006
I don’t draw, Alan.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections