IS
Posted By
Ilonka_Smyth
Oct 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would have thought it to be a common practice to blend together two seperate exposures for interior shots.

The most common mistake made by photographers is over-exposing a shot to obtain a bright interior image and in the process burning out the windows/open doors.

I am fairly new to photoshop CS2 and im finding it VERY difficult to get any helpful tutorials/instructions on achieving this.

1) i could copy the darker exposed photo and paste onto the lighter exposed shot, select the areas i want to bring through the brighter image with a magic wand, (the entire exterior you see from outside the window) and then create a layer mask.
This is great! however, when i do this, the selection is not 100% perfect and the lines around the frame of a window come out black as it picks up pixels from the darker exposed shot. So when you zoom in, it is not a clean cut.

Ideally, i want to have a correctly exposed window layered with a correctly exposed interior.

2) i could drag the darker image onto of the other, bring up the layer style box and play around with that.
Fantastic effect! but i cannot adjust it so that it blends correctly. Either the pixels in the exterior start to go whiter as i correctly alter the interior, or the interior remains with heavy black pixels on the shadows cast on the walls from the light.

Can anyone help??? or point me in the general direction of h.e.l.p?

Surely someone has come across this problem???

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 19, 2006
You need to add a layer mask to the top layer and paint on that with a soft edged brush set to around 50%.

Have you explored the Merge to HDR feature in PSCS2?

You’ll find this PDF useful: <http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_hilight.pdf>
DL
David_Lingard
Oct 19, 2006
Another possibility is Place a Matic script by Russell Brown which can be downloaded from: <http://russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html>

Suggest you play the tutorial video first to see what to do as the installation instructions are a bit sparse.

HTH

DL
GD
george_dingwall
Oct 19, 2006
Hi there,

I’d go along with Chris’s suggestion of using masks for this type of process.

When you use layer masks for this, you have total control over how much of each exposure ends up in the final image.

Here’s a link to an image I made from three separate exposures, one for midtones, one for highlights and one for shadow areas.

<http://www.photomacrography2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=733>

Hope this helps.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Oct 19, 2006
Rather than a mask, maybe you could do this by adjusting the Blending Mode sliders.
B
Bernie
Oct 19, 2006
Research the following thigns in the help file:

Layers, Layer Masks, Clipping Masks
IS
Ilonka_Smyth
Oct 20, 2006
Great!

Thank you all. I shall try all of these procedures today.

Further to george dingwall’s note, i have heard that it is better to combine three different exposures rather than simply two???

Is this correct and would it suit the form of layering I am attempting, (indoor exposure vs outside exposure)?

Thanks
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2006
Yes, 3 different exposures will give better results.

And yes, HDR imaging is good for what you’re trying to do.
IS
Ilonka_Smyth
Oct 20, 2006
I have just opening up both my images, (only have two exposures at this time).

I extracted some shadow detail from the darker image as instructed in a tutorial: < http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending .shtml>

I then went to file>Automate>Merge to HDR, sourced open files and went through the procedure.

My final product is very grainy. The exposed external frame apears very grainy…almost cartoon-like.

It isnt a sharp blend as when i use the magic wand for my selection and create a mask layer.

Would this issue be solved by using multiple frames of different exposures, (highhlights, midtone, shadows)?

Maybe im not doing it right??? if not….. i neeeeeed help!!! This things driving me batty!!! Maybe an online course specifically for this issue???
IS
Ilonka_Smyth
Oct 20, 2006
ive just discovered the magic of the paint brush once ive created a layer.

Seems fantastic. It’s stopped me from scratching my eyes out!!!

Only thing is, it leaves a bit of a hazy glow on the boarders.

Getting closer to an answer!!!!!!!!
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 20, 2006
it leaves a bit of a hazy glow on the boarders.

Hardness of your brush (right click with brush selected)? Flow at 100%?
IS
Ilonka_Smyth
Oct 20, 2006
Yes the flow is 100%. I picked the soft edged brush though. Thought that would make the blend look more realistic and avoid picking up the frame of the windows/doors.

Maybe i should play around with the hardness percentage?

See, it would be great if i could get this same result by going through an automated process such as HDR. Apparently this process is the most labour intensive of the manual methods of blending??

figures haha!
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 20, 2006
I thought Merge to HDR was designed for 3 tripod shots of the identical area with 3 different exposures.

That’s why I never tried it — I’m not into tripods. 😉
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2006
It can also align images with small offsets.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections