Posted By
C_Wayne_Taylor
Oct 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

Error Message: "Could not open [file name] because the result would be too big."

I started getting "result would be too big" message while working in a large file. I saved the file and restarted Photoshop, thinking it might clear up the problem.

Now I cannot open the file!

Is there a way to open the file in Photoshop *OR* extract the individual layers from the file?

File size: 893,065 KB

Thank you

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 18, 2006
893,065 KB is NOT big by any stretch of the imagination.

First. Try Trashing the Preferences (as per the FAQs)

If that doesn’t work, try opening the file in ImageReady and saving it out with another file name.

I’m assuming you are able to open other file of this size and bigger. If not we could be looking at "disk full" issues on the volume containing your scratch file.

Try the above first. If its not resolved, come back with your system specs, PS version, etc.
CW
C_Wayne_Taylor
Oct 18, 2006
Still cannot open file.

WindowsXP SP2
Intel Celeron 2.53Ghz
960 MB of RAM

Photoshop 7.0
Cache Levels 4
Memory Usage – Available RAM – 873MB
Memory Usage – Max Used by Photoshop 100% = 873MB
Scratch Disk – I:\ (free space – 30.9GB)

File Size:893,065KB (872MB)
Properties: Mode: RGB Color; Size: 29760h x 5760w

Photoshop Error: "Could not open [file name] because the result would be too big." Error message appears immediately.

ImageReady Error: "Could not read active layer because the result would make the image too big."
Program runs for several minutes showing loading image, then error message appears.

File will not open in Windows image viewer.
File WILL open in Irfanview image viewer. (Takes about 5 minutes to load)

Tried deleting preferences file.
Tried installing Photoshop over previous installation.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 18, 2006
Try reducing the memory allocated to Photoshop.

When you deleted preferences did you do it manually or use the key combination and resulting dialog?

Re-installing will not overwrite corrupt preferences.
B
Bernie
Oct 18, 2006
Could it be that the image was created in CS or CS2 and is more than 30 000 pixels long?

IIRC, PS 7 only supported 30 000 pixels
L
LenHewitt
Oct 18, 2006
Memory Usage – Max Used by Photoshop 100% = 873MB<<

Knock that back to 55%
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 19, 2006
"result would be too big" means it’s over 300,000 pixels — which in this case probably means the file is corrupt on disk.
A
Alan
Dec 9, 2006
Hi,

You can try our product Advanced PSD Repair. It is a powerful tool to repair corrupt or damaged Photoshop PSD or PDD image files. It supports to recover pixels, dimension, color depth and the palette of the image and layers on corrupted medias, such as floppy disks, Zip disks, CDROMs, etc.

Please visit http://www.datanumen.com/apsr/index.htm for detailed information about Advanced PSD Repair.

And you can also download a free demo version at
http://www.datanumen.com/apsr/apsr.exe

Alan Chen
DataNumen, Inc. – World leader in data recovery technologies Website: http://www.datanumen.com
Fax: +1-800-9917-FAX (US Toll-Free), +852-31829286 (HONG KONG)

wrote:
"result would be too big" means it’s over 300,000 pixels — which in this case probably means the file is corrupt on disk.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections