Posted By
Leen_Koper
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ansel Adams once said:

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships."

If he at that time only knew about PS Elements….
😉

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 20, 2004
Since Leen created this topic with this wonderful quote, I thought I’d give a tip for non-destructive dodging and burning in elements.

Above your background layer create two empty layers and set the blending mode of both empty layers to soft light.
Name one dodging and the other burning.
On the burning layer, set your brush opacity somewhat low (between 10 and 20%) click D to get your default black and white color swatches, pick the black swatch. Paint where you want to burn
Target the dodge layer
Click x to switch between black and white, and using the same opacity brush to paint with white where you want to dodge.
You can then reduce the layer’s opacity to soften the effect.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 21, 2004
Rich, I do something similar, except I fill the soft light layer (or layers) with neutral gray before doing the painting. Not sure why it’s different that way, but it is….?

Chuck (back from the Big Easy)
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 21, 2004
Thank you Richard, I will try this weekend. This seems to be a keeper.

Leen
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 23, 2004
Chuck,
The difference is in technique mainly. When you use a neutral gray you are using the difference from neutral gray towards black or white to control the fix (ie grayness). When you use an empty layer you use mainly opacity of solid black or white for control. Further by splitting dodge and burn into separate layers you have more control and ability to edited each one independently.

I must admit I stole this one from a tutorial I saw Julianne Kost give. She is one of Adobe’s Photoshop evangelists.

Rich
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 23, 2004
I really need to learn to use this program like it’s meant to be used. I’ve been using PSE mostly for scanning all my old family photo/slides (Epson Twain actually) and minor retouches with the clone stamp. In the two years since I’ve owned PSE I’ve never even tried dodging or burning.

Joe
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 23, 2004
Joe, don’t!
It is too addictive.

Leen
SR
Schraven_Robert
Feb 24, 2004
Joe, I tried it a few times but never seemed to get an acceptable result. The result looks like either a white or a black smear.
it is on my "to-do" list to.

Robert
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 24, 2004
Robert,

The main thing is whatever technique you use, lower the opacity of the tool (in the case of the dodge and burn tools it is called exposure). You want to be very subtle with dodging and burning.

Rich
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 24, 2004
Rich, good advice. When doing the ‘layer dodge/burn’ you described (painting on a layer set to soft light), I set the opacity of the brush at 10 % or less.

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 24, 2004
MY favorite is the sponge tool …love adding saturation in little places here and there 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Jodi: Get well soon!
J
jhjl1
Feb 24, 2004
I agree Jodi, it’s perfect for flowers and reflections in water and etc, etc..

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
MY favorite is the sponge tool …love adding saturation in little
places here and there 😉
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 24, 2004
Thanks for mentioning the Sponge, Jodi… it is one of the tools which I have neglected to spend time learning.

I vow to try it at the first opportunity!! 😉

Byron
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 25, 2004
Chuck,

When I saw Julianne give that tutorial she used 6%. What I sometimes do though is use a higher percentage so I can see what I’m doing and than crank the opacity of the dodge/burn layer down to tone the effect down afterwards.

Rich
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 25, 2004
Sponge…what sponge? 😉 Another tool I don’t think I’ve ever used.

Joe

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections