MH
Posted By
Michael_Halberstadt
Sep 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As one gets older, one can get overly nostalgic. But basically I would have to say most Adobe programs have gotten progressively better albeit more complicated over the years. But a few little features seem to have disappeared. For example, I seem to recall a plug-in called "Quick Edit" that, if memory serves, would allow Photoshop users to open and edit a given portion of an image. This portion was then recombined when saved. Basically this just made it alot easier to open the then HUGE 150 meg file to remove schmutz in a small portion of a scan or something along those lines.

This memory came back as my colleague was having to repanel out one ca. 100mb panel out of a multi-gig panorama. A feature such as Quick Edit would have been ideal. But I’m assuming that something else replaced it? Or is there any other way to speed up dealing with small parts of huge files that I might not be aware of?

Thanks…. -Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Sep 27, 2006
Quick Edit was automatically installed in Photoshop 4 and showed up in the File>Import menu. By Photoshop 5 it had to be installed by the user from the Optional Plugins folder inside the Goodies (or was it Optional Goodies) folder. I don’t remember if it still existed in PS 5.5 but believe it was history by Photoshop 6.

I don’t know if there is any equivalent technique now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 27, 2006
I seem to remember that it only worked on flattened Tiffs and was actually rather slow to use anyway.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 27, 2006
The fact that it flattened the file made it almost useless. In fact I remember freaking out when a guy doing some work for me used it, not realizing what he had done. He ended up flattening and saving a layered file that needed to remain layered. good thing I had a copy of the original layered file, but still it wasted a lot of work and time.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 27, 2006
Too many restrictions, too many problems, too little benefit once memory became cheap and computers got faster.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Sep 27, 2006
I remember using Quick Edit on an SGI. 😉
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 27, 2006
files become larger every year. it would be nice to have some kind of feature that allows you to edit just one layer in a layered document.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 28, 2006
Copy/Paste?
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 28, 2006
"better albeit more complicated over the years"

I’m glad I’ve been fortunate to have started when the programs were simple and gradually over the years became more complicated. I’d hate to think of learning all of CS1 or CS2 from scratch.

Quick Edit? I don’t remmeber it. With the power of todays computers it is probably called for so rarely that development was killed.

I do remember having a Quickie though. But that was a long time ago also.

alan
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 28, 2006
More like extract, combine and replace.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections