Making plugin – what versions to support?

RK
Posted By
Roland_Karlsson
Sep 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

We are making a photography related Photshop plugin (www.proxel.se) that currently runs on Windows only. Now we have started to port it to Mac. The problem is that Code Warrior is terminated (due to the switch to Intel) and the only development environment is gcc based – and the gcc based environment only supports CS2 and forward.

Is it reasonable to make a Mac plugin CS2 only?

It is going to be OS-X only. And the two other OS-X versions are 7 and CS.

Thanx for any information!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 26, 2006
You need to contact the Adobe Solution Network folks.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 26, 2006
Also, there is an SDK forum (where ASN folks tend to hang out).
RK
Roland_Karlsson
Sep 26, 2006
Hi Chris,

New here – how do I contact the ASN folks?

Yepp – found the SDK forum – and I got one answer there.

This question is really two questions.

1. Is CS2 enough to support. That is more a user question than a developer question I assume.

2. Is it possible to support CS (and maybe also 7) with a reasonable effort now when CW is gone. That is a developer question.

/Roland
B
Buko
Sep 26, 2006
I’m not a developer but here are my 2 cents.

If you only have the tools to make it for CS2 and forward then that’s what you must do. I realize it would be nice to support versions back to 7 but if you can’t do it, Oh well, its not like Adobe is still selling those older versions.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 26, 2006

1) Yeah, that’s something your marketing folks should answer.

2) yes, but it won’t be easy (because it needs a CFM/PEF based plugin or a shim to call your Mach-0 code).
TT
Toby_Thain
Sep 29, 2006
There’s no problem supporting any version of Photoshop. That Codewarrior is "discontinued" is immaterial, as long as you can obtain a copy – or use MPW <http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/> (free download from Apple) for PEF builds (PS7, CS or earlier).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections