DG
Posted By
damnsummerhas gone
Oct 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry to be so persistent, but this is the second time I’ve posted regarding this problem. In addition to the info contained in the post, I’ve found that when uploading multiple pics into photoshop, the 1st one takes X, the 2nd one takes X+, the 3rd takes X++ and so on. Now, this extended period seems to be in photoshop itself, as when the procedure is initiated, the blinking light on the camera indicated the pic goes from the camera to the computer very quickly, it seems to be the processing time in photoshop that is the problem. I’ve also taken the time to completely un-install both photoshop and all USB software (VIA) and re-installed with the same result. I’ve even combed the registry to make sure all references to photoshop have been removed prior to re-installing.

I recently purchased a new H.D. and did a complete reinstall on my XP Home System. Included in that reinstall was Photoshop CS2 (9.02). No other new programs were installed. The problem I have is that I have used Photoshop for a number of years to upload pics from my digital camera; my latest camera is a Canon Powershot A410. Prior to my reinstall, pics uploaded very fast into Photoshop; since the reinstall, each pic is taking 30-40 seconds to upload. I’ve uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled the program without any improvement. I’ve uninstalled my USB 2 programs; no improvement. I’ve loaded the programs that came with the camera (for the first time) and pics load very fast, but as Photoshop loads the pics at 300DPI (my preference in my camera settings) these programs load at 180DPI and as I have used Photoshop for a long time, I much prefer it for doing whatever I want to do with the pics.

Any tips as to what is the problem?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 14, 2006
"E. Barry Bruyea" <damnsummerhas > wrote in message
Sorry to be so persistent, but this is the second time I’ve posted regarding this problem. In addition to the info contained in the post, I’ve found that when uploading multiple pics into photoshop, the 1st one takes X, the 2nd one takes X+, the 3rd takes X++ and so on. Now, this extended period seems to be in photoshop itself, as when the procedure is initiated, the blinking light on the camera indicated the pic goes from the camera to the computer very quickly, it seems to be the processing time in photoshop that is the problem. I’ve also taken the time to completely un-install both photoshop and all USB software (VIA) and re-installed with the same result. I’ve even combed the registry to make sure all references to photoshop have been removed prior to re-installing.

I recently purchased a new H.D. and did a complete reinstall on my XP Home System. Included in that reinstall was Photoshop CS2 (9.02). No other new programs were installed. The problem I have is that I have used Photoshop for a number of years to upload pics from my digital camera; my latest camera is a Canon Powershot A410. Prior to my reinstall, pics uploaded very fast into Photoshop; since the reinstall, each pic is taking 30-40 seconds to upload. I’ve uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled the program without any improvement. I’ve uninstalled my USB 2 programs; no improvement. I’ve loaded the programs that came with the camera (for the first time) and pics load very fast, but as Photoshop loads the pics at 300DPI (my preference in my camera settings) these programs load at 180DPI and as I have used Photoshop for a long time, I much prefer it for doing whatever I want to do with the pics.

They don’t load at a given p(d)pi, (pixel density) they display/print at it. They load in accordance with the pixel dimension and file size dependant on any file compression applied by the camera. In PS, images are loaded into memory, both RAM and virtual and will "fill up" the fastest first. How much of each is available?

MH
DG
damnsummerhas gone
Oct 15, 2006
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:11:49 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

They don’t load at a given p(d)pi, (pixel density) they display/print at it. They load in accordance with the pixel dimension and file size dependant on any file compression applied by the camera. In PS, images are loaded into memory, both RAM and virtual and will "fill up" the fastest first. How much of each is available?

MH

I have 1-gig of memory on a 1.9ghz machine and have assigned 75% of memory to Photoshop and have no other application programs running when processing photos. I’ve even increased it to 90% in a test to see if that made any difference; it didn’t.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 15, 2006

They don’t load at a given p(d)pi, (pixel density) they display/print at it.
They load in accordance with the pixel dimension and file size dependant on
any file compression applied by the camera. In PS, images are loaded into memory, both RAM and virtual and will "fill up" the fastest first. How much
of each is available?

MH

I have 1-gig of memory on a 1.9ghz machine and have assigned 75% of memory to Photoshop and have no other application programs running when processing photos. I’ve even increased it to 90% in a test to see if that made any difference; it didn’t.

Increasing the amount of RAM available on a machine with limited RAM never solves the problem, you just make less available to the OS etc., and that can introduce other problems. . 55% is the optimum, you need to decrease it back to 55%.
What is your scratch disc set up? You need at least 15% available on any disc used and this/these also needs to be defragmented frequently Has the slow up load only been apparent since your reinstall or since using the Canon? The images will load faster into the camera’s own software because this will not have the same system overheads that PS has.

MH
DG
damnsummerhas gone
Oct 16, 2006
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:00:44 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

any file compression applied by the camera. In PS, images are loaded into memory, both RAM and virtual and will "fill up" the fastest first. How much
of each is available?

MH

Increasing the amount of RAM available on a machine with limited RAM never solves the problem, you just make less available to the OS etc., and that can introduce other problems. . 55% is the optimum, you need to decrease it back to 55%.
What is your scratch disc set up? You need at least 15% available on any disc used and this/these also needs to be defragmented frequently Has the slow up load only been apparent since your reinstall or since using the Canon? The images will load faster into the camera’s own software because this will not have the same system overheads that PS has.
MH

The 1st Scratch Disk has 65 gigabytes available to photoshop and I’ve been using the Canon long before I did a complete re-install.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 16, 2006

any file compression applied by the camera. In PS, images are loaded into
memory, both RAM and virtual and will "fill up" the fastest first. How much
of each is available?

MH

Increasing the amount of RAM available on a machine with limited RAM never
solves the problem, you just make less available to the OS etc., and that can introduce other problems. . 55% is the optimum, you need to decrease it
back to 55%.
What is your scratch disc set up? You need at least 15% available on any disc used and this/these also needs to be defragmented frequently Has the slow up load only been apparent since your reinstall or since using
the Canon? The images will load faster into the camera’s own software because this will not have the same system overheads that PS has.
MH

The 1st Scratch Disk has 65 gigabytes available to photoshop and I’ve been using the Canon long before I did a complete re-install.

What apps are running in the background?
Open Task Manager and check and ID processes (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) Whilst in TM view Performance tab and start PS and monitior Commit charge (see if it is hitting he limit)and CPU usage.
Have you checked for spy/malware?Norton?

Below courtesy of Scott Byer Adobe Software Engineer

Tuning Photoshop CS:

Open Windows Task Manager. Go to the Performance tab. The number to watch is in the Physical Memory section, "Available".

Start Photoshop and start working. That Available number will decrease and, after a while, will often stabilize out.

Is it below 15000 (15MB)? Your Photoshop memory percentage is set too high. Lower it and try again.
Is it above 50000 (50MB)? If you really have been doing things you normally do, including running a filter and you still have more than 50MB free, you’re probably leaving a little performance on the table (but not as much as you think!). Consider increasing Photoshop’s memory percentage slightly.

If you *really* want to get technical about it, bring up Performance Monitor and set it up to track a few things (free memory, disk activity, memory paging rates).

What you are trying to avoid is having the OS page out Photoshop’s memory. We don’t lock down Photoshop’s memory because that causes many, many more problems than it solves. But when Photoshop has allocated a lot of memory, some of it looks to the OS as "not busy" and will get paged out if RAM gets low. If Photoshop’s scratch and the OS paging file are on the same physical disk, this is doubly bad.

Windows XP Pagefile Settings:

You may want to defrag your boot drive and make sure the minimum XP paging file size is at least 3GB. I usually like setting the minimum paging file size == max size == 2x RAM.

You’ll find the settings in the System control panel, Advanced tab, Performance button, Advanced tab, Virtual Memory button.

If all you want is the fastest performance on your machine, this is all you need to know.

For further information on how to optimise Adobe Photoshop, see:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/318243.html

HTH

Mike H
DG
damnsummerhas gone
Oct 16, 2006
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:03:56 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

of each is available?

MH

solves the problem, you just make less available to the OS etc., and that can introduce other problems. . 55% is the optimum, you need to decrease it
back to 55%.
What is your scratch disc set up? You need at least 15% available on any disc used and this/these also needs to be defragmented frequently Has the slow up load only been apparent since your reinstall or since using
the Canon? The images will load faster into the camera’s own software because this will not have the same system overheads that PS has.
MH

Open Task Manager and check and ID processes (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) Whilst in TM view Performance tab and start PS and monitior Commit charge (see if it is hitting he limit)and CPU usage.

I’ve stated earlier in the post that there are no apps running. CPU usage is minimal and I check spyware/malware everyday and I don’t run norton anymore.

Tuning Photoshop CS:

Open Windows Task Manager. Go to the Performance tab. The number to watch is in the Physical Memory section, "Available".
Start Photoshop and start working. That Available number will decrease and, after a while, will often stabilize out.

Is it below 15000 (15MB)? Your Photoshop memory percentage is set too high. Lower it and try again.
Is it above 50000 (50MB)? If you really have been doing things you normally do, including running a filter and you still have more than 50MB free, you’re probably leaving a little performance on the table (but not as much as you think!). Consider increasing Photoshop’s memory percentage slightly.
If you *really* want to get technical about it, bring up Performance Monitor and set it up to track a few things (free memory, disk activity, memory paging rates).

What you are trying to avoid is having the OS page out Photoshop’s memory. We don’t lock down Photoshop’s memory because that causes many, many more problems than it solves. But when Photoshop has allocated a lot of memory, some of it looks to the OS as "not busy" and will get paged out if RAM gets low. If Photoshop’s scratch and the OS paging file are on the same physical disk, this is doubly bad.

You may want to defrag your boot drive and make sure the minimum XP paging file size is at least 3GB. I usually like setting the minimum paging file size == max size == 2x RAM.

You’ll find the settings in the System control panel, Advanced tab, Performance button, Advanced tab, Virtual Memory button.
If all you want is the fastest performance on your machine, this is all you need to know.

HTH

Mike H

All good advice, most of which I follow routinely.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 17, 2006
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:03:56 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

Sorry to be so persistent, but this is the second time I’ve posted regarding this problem. In addition to the info contained in the post, I’ve found that when uploading multiple pics into photoshop, the
1st one takes X, the 2nd one takes X+, the 3rd takes X++ and so on. Now, this extended period seems to be in photoshop itself, as when the
procedure is initiated, the blinking light on the camera indicated the
pic goes from the camera to the computer very quickly, it seems to be
the processing time in photoshop that is the problem. I’ve also taken
the time to completely un-install both photoshop and all USB software
(VIA) and re-installed with the same result. I’ve even combed the registry to make sure all references to photoshop have been removed prior to re-installing.

I recently purchased a new H.D. and did a complete reinstall on my XP
Home System. Included in that reinstall was Photoshop CS2 (9.02). No
other new programs were installed. The problem I have is that I have
used Photoshop for a number of years to upload pics from my digital camera; my latest camera is a Canon Powershot A410. Prior to my reinstall, pics uploaded very fast into Photoshop; since the reinstall, each pic is taking 30-40 seconds to upload. I’ve uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled the program without any improvement. I’ve uninstalled my USB 2 programs; no improvement. I’ve loaded the programs that came with the camera (for the first time) and pics load very fast, but as Photoshop loads the pics at 300DPI (my preference in my camera settings) these programs load at 180DPI and as I have used Photoshop for a long time, I much prefer it
for doing whatever I want to do with the pics.

They don’t load at a given p(d)pi, (pixel density) they display/print at
it.
They load in accordance with the pixel dimension and file size dependant
on
of each is available?

MH

solves the problem, you just make less available to the OS etc., and that
can introduce other problems. . 55% is the optimum, you need to decrease it
back to 55%.
MH

I’ve stated earlier in the post that there are no apps running. CPU usage is minimal and I check spyware/malware everyday and I don’t run norton anymore.

Tuning Photoshop CS:

Start Photoshop and start working. That Available number will decrease and,
after a while, will often stabilize out.

Is it below 15000 (15MB)? Your Photoshop memory percentage is set too high.
Lower it and try again.
Is it above 50000 (50MB)? If you really have been doing things you normally
do, including running a filter and you still have more than 50MB free, you’re probably leaving a little performance on the table (but not as much as you think!). Consider increasing Photoshop’s memory percentage slightly.

If you *really* want to get technical about it, bring up Performance Monitor
and set it up to track a few things (free memory, disk activity, memory paging rates).

What you are trying to avoid is having the OS page out Photoshop’s memory. We don’t lock down Photoshop’s memory because that causes many, many more problems than it solves. But when Photoshop has allocated a lot of memory, some of it looks to the OS as "not busy" and will get paged out if RAM gets
low. If Photoshop’s scratch and the OS paging file are on the same physical
disk, this is doubly bad.

If all you want is the fastest performance on your machine, this is all you
need to know.

HTH

Mike H

My head hurts 😉
You are loading directly from the camera, have you got access to a card reader? If so, try it and if you see an improvement, that would suggest the camera is the "bottle neck".
Plan B would be to ask this in the Adobeforum.

Regards

Mike H
DG
damnsummerhas gone
Oct 17, 2006
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:13:24 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

Sorry to be so persistent, but this is the second time I’ve posted regarding this problem. In addition to the info contained in the post, I’ve found that when uploading multiple pics into photoshop, the
1st one takes X, the 2nd one takes X+, the 3rd takes X++ and so on. Now, this extended period seems to be in photoshop itself, as when the
(VIA) and re-installed with the same result. I’ve even combed the registry to make sure all references to photoshop have been removed prior to re-installing.

used Photoshop for a number of years to upload pics from my digital camera; my latest camera is a Canon Powershot A410. Prior to my reinstall, pics uploaded very fast into Photoshop; since the reinstall, each pic is taking 30-40 seconds to upload. I’ve uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled the program without any improvement. I’ve uninstalled my USB 2 programs; no improvement. I’ve loaded the programs that came with the camera (for the first time) and pics load very fast, but as Photoshop loads the pics at 300DPI (my preference in my camera settings) these programs load at 180DPI and as I have used Photoshop for a long time, I much prefer it

They don’t load at a given p(d)pi, (pixel density) they display/print at
it.
on
of each is available?

MH

can introduce other problems. . 55% is the optimum, you need to decrease it
back to 55%.
MH

Tuning Photoshop CS:

Lower it and try again.
do, including running a filter and you still have more than 50MB free, you’re probably leaving a little performance on the table (but not as much as you think!). Consider increasing Photoshop’s memory percentage slightly.

and set it up to track a few things (free memory, disk activity, memory paging rates).

What you are trying to avoid is having the OS page out Photoshop’s memory. We don’t lock down Photoshop’s memory because that causes many, many more problems than it solves. But when Photoshop has allocated a lot of memory, some of it looks to the OS as "not busy" and will get paged out if RAM gets

need to know.

HTH

Mike H

My head hurts 😉
You are loading directly from the camera, have you got access to a card reader? If so, try it and if you see an improvement, that would suggest the camera is the "bottle neck".

Regards

Mike H

I really appreciate your posts, Mike, but bear in mind my previous posts on the subject, most important of which is the fact that nothing was changed on my system from the installation of the new disk and re-installing all of my programs with no additions. Also, I don’t think the camera is a bottleneck, given when I click ‘get pictures’ the light on the camera blinks twice, indicating that it has up loaded into photoshop. I can’t help thinking it is something in the system, but it looks like I’ll have to live with it or stop using photoshop, but thanks anyway.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 17, 2006
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:13:24 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

1st one takes X, the 2nd one takes X+, the 3rd takes X++ and so on.
Now, this extended period seems to be in photoshop itself, as when the
(VIA) and re-installed with the same result. I’ve even combed the registry to make sure all references to photoshop have been removed
prior to re-installing.

used Photoshop for a number of years to upload pics from my digital
camera; my latest camera is a Canon Powershot A410. Prior to my reinstall, pics uploaded very fast into Photoshop; since the reinstall, each pic is taking 30-40 seconds to upload. I’ve uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled the program without any improvement. I’ve uninstalled my USB 2 programs; no improvement. I’ve loaded the programs that came with the camera (for the first time) and pics load very fast, but as Photoshop loads the pics at 300DPI (my preference in my camera settings) these programs load at
180DPI and as I have used Photoshop for a long time, I much prefer it

They don’t load at a given p(d)pi, (pixel density) they display/print
at
it.
on
memory, both RAM and virtual and will "fill up" the fastest first. How
much
of each is available?

MH

can introduce other problems. . 55% is the optimum, you need to decrease
it
back to 55%.
What is your scratch disc set up? You need at least 15% available on any
disc used and this/these also needs to be defragmented frequently Has the slow up load only been apparent since your reinstall or since using
MH

Open Task Manager and check and ID processes (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) Whilst in TM view Performance tab and start PS and monitior Commit charge
(see if it is hitting he limit)and CPU usage.

Tuning Photoshop CS:

Open Windows Task Manager. Go to the Performance tab. The number to watch
is in the Physical Memory section, "Available".

Lower it and try again.
do, including running a filter and you still have more than 50MB free, you’re probably leaving a little performance on the table (but not as much
as you think!). Consider increasing Photoshop’s memory percentage slightly.

What you are trying to avoid is having the OS page out Photoshop’s memory.
We don’t lock down Photoshop’s memory because that causes many, many more
problems than it solves. But when Photoshop has allocated a lot of memory,
some of it looks to the OS as "not busy" and will get paged out if RAM gets

You may want to defrag your boot drive and make sure the minimum XP paging
file size is at least 3GB. I usually like setting the minimum paging file
size == max size == 2x RAM.

need to know.

HTH

Mike H

My head hurts 😉
You are loading directly from the camera, have you got access to a card reader? If so, try it and if you see an improvement, that would suggest the
camera is the "bottle neck".

Regards

Mike H

I really appreciate your posts, Mike, but bear in mind my previous posts on the subject, most important of which is the fact that nothing was changed on my system from the installation of the new disk and re-installing all of my programs with no additions. Also, I don’t think the camera is a bottleneck, given when I click ‘get pictures’ the light on the camera blinks twice, indicating that it has up loaded into photoshop. I can’t help thinking it is something in the system, but it looks like I’ll have to live with it or stop using photoshop, but thanks anyway.
The problem with this sort of thing is that it can be impossible to recreate what your are experiencing on another system without using yours or similar hardware.
Hardware does change over time, RAM memory addresses start to fail, hardrives gain bad sectors and even the heating cooling effect of the switching on and off can affect motherboard connections. All these can show as a degradation of operation.
I would still try, if possible, using a card reader to open your files, if nothing else it would make your camera battery last longer. I know a USB connection is used to transmit the files, but it still relies on the camera’s electronics. Failing that, I would copy the images from the camera to a folder on the PC and open them from there. I have known of instances were people have lost data working directly from the camera.

Sorry not to have been more helpful.

MH

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections