P
Posted By
Phosphor
Aug 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have a look at Greg Paret’s excellent "Grids" plugin for Photoshop <http://www.users.cloud9.net/~gparet/photoshop>.

Problem solved.

And, Just FYI…as these User-To-User forums are meant to be a learning resource for all who stop by here, we don’t do email replies.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

K
keithdvo
Aug 7, 2003
Thanks for the plugin, Phosphor (cool nickname for PS)!

And to all, I apologize about the email thing. I didn’t mean to offend anyone or break with Forum policy. I was just busy with my head down trying to get this image finished (looming deadline) and was hopeful that some kind soul might notify me via email (in addition to posting) as it might have been quicker–so many forums elsewhere can take a while to get back a response. I would have shared the answer had it come only to me, as I just shared my own workaround.

Thanks, again!

K
K
keithdvo
Aug 8, 2003
Phosphor,

I DO have the AICB checked in my preferences. Hmmm…Let me see if can describe more accurately what I’m trying to do:

I created a layout full of what we can call tables (though I think they’re more accurately described as grids).

When I copy them and paste them into PS as paths, I can still see all the lines of the grids, but when I go to convert paths to selections, only the outer wall of the table/grid is converted, leaving the inner lines (or cells) untouched. I need to stroke all the lines, not just the top, bottom, far left, and far right lines, but also the inner lines, otherwise I have a square, not a grid.

Does this help?

Keith

PS I did download that grid plug-in you noted yesterday, but I have not yet had a chance to unzip it and see if it works for me.

Thanks for your help on this! –K
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
Keith….

Click on my user name (just above, in blue), get my email address and send me a ZIP’ed or Stuffed version of the Illustrator grid file so I can see more clearly what you’re trying to do.
K
keithdvo
Aug 13, 2003
Phosphor,

I’m not sure if you got the file or not; I sent it a couple days ago.

Keith
P
Phosphor
Aug 13, 2003
Sorry I didn’t get back to you Keith, I was kind of busy and it was on my list of things to do today.

Here’s where you’re having a problem:

You’re able to create selections out of the outer boxes because they are, indeed, closed paths in Illustrator. Selections, by definition, must be enclose a specific area. The outer box-paths will do that when converted to a selection.

On the other hand, those straight gridlines that make up the inner divisions in those boxes are simple short, straight segments. They, as paths, do NOT enclose a specific area. So, you can’t convert them to selections, because the resulting selection doesn’t enclose anything.

If you were to create a 1 segment arc (shaped like a parenthesis, for example) with a path, and convert that to a selection you’d see that the two end points of the arc will be connected by a straight line of marching ants, thus creating a space for that selection to surround. This can’t happen with a straight line.

What I have to wonder, though, is why you’re finding it necessary to change those paths to selections for stroking in Photoshop, when you could just select the paths and stroke them?. Or, why not stroke them in Illustrator and then save them as an EPS for opening in Photoshop? Or, for that matter, what, exactly, you need to do in Photoshop that you can’t fully do in Illustrator? I build forms all the time in Illustrator and find it gives me just about all the tools I need, and the output is as crisp and clean as I could possibly want?

That form you sent me looks like it’s going to be pretty utilitarian and free from embellishment…I’d keep it all in Illustrator….or am I missing something here about what you’re after? I’d think it better that if you need some Photoshop-produced elements for the page to bring them into Illustrator and place them there, rather than the other way round.

Cheers Keith.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections