Posted By
William_Dowling
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Total rookie here…

When using the crop tool, I want to drag a side and change the shape WITHOUT any regard for keeping it in the proportions defined in the width and length boxes. In other words… keep the corners at 90 degrees and resize the rectangle.

I’ve tried using <Shift>-drag, <Alt>-drag, <Ctrl>-drag, but all behave exactly like doing a simple "drag" of a corner handle. In other words, every method keeps the aspect ratio of the width / length values.

The images I’m working are .bmp files. The book seems to say <Shift>-drag a corner handle will "constrain" proportions. This behaves just like not doing the "shift" on my system.

Is there some global-varible or image-varible that allows constraining the crop proportions/shape?

-Bill

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 18, 2004
William,

After you select the Crop Tool in the Toolbox, look at the options above the workarea. Click the "Clear" button.

After you have drawn a box, if you grab hold of a corner with the shift key depressed, the aspect ratio will be maintained so as not to distort the image. For "free" cropping, just use the Clear button.

edit: oh, you can type in the actual dimensions you would like the crop to be if desired. This can get a little tricky if you are selecting just a small bit of an image and want to print it to a large size as the resolution will have plummeted, perhaps below a suitable print resolution.

Check out Wayne’s fabulously informative site

<http://scantips.com>

Nancy
WD
William_Dowling
Feb 18, 2004
I had been using the Rectangle Marquee, then clicking on \Image, \Crop, which worked if you actually got the exact size shape you needed on 1st try. Your method is a whole lot better, because it lets one re-size forever before executing crop.

I still don’t see a difference between dragging and <Ctrl>-dragging on the crop tool on my computer. Just wondering?

-Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections