BH
Posted By
Beth_Haney
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The wonderful frames Jodi made and shared with us last Fall are locked up on the hard drive of a computer that’s currently disconnected and lacking a monitor! Would anybody be willing to send them to me? I have broadband, but Jodi doesn’t. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Beth,

I’ll send them to you right away.

Byron
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Beth, This is where I don’t understand how to do anything, but I do have Jodi’s awesome frames here. And I would send them to you if I can only figure out how to do it.
I have cable connection very fast upload as well as download. No neighbours, I’ve heard that makes all the difference?
I’ve sent you a direct e-mail, but what I keep trying to send looks just like a direction to a file on my HD, and not Jodi’s frames.
Tried to copy, drag, nothing works.
Late and tired,,,,,,,
Jane
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Beth,

A couple of questions…

I have two .ASL files, (Jodi’s frames and Jodi’s metallic frames).

Then I have two .ZIP files, for Jodi’s wood frames.

Do yo uneed me to un-Zip them before sending?

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 18, 2004
Thank you, Byron!
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
….the other question…

I also have Jodi’s inner glows and bevels – do you need those, too?
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Byron and Beth, I have them all too, just need to know how to *send* them. Sorry to be so obtuse, but I am still sort of learning this stuff. Jane
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Jane,

The key concept is to "attach" the files to an email.

As there are numerous mail client programs, I can’t give you specific instructions — but if you can find how to attach a file, you’ll be there!

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Beth,

I’ve sent you all of the Jodi-frames I have, along with her inner glow and bevel styles.

I left the larger files zipped because they un-zip to about double the size, but I’ll be happy to re-send them un-zipped, if you require.

Let me know…

Byron
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks Byron, I will do this right now, I actually do attach files sometimes, but had no clue that this was the way to send the PSE files! Not to drag or copy them.
I will do one immediately to see if it works with me.

Oh yes it is working fine, I just had no idea how to do it! Since you have sent them to Beth, I don’t need to send her mine. Thank you for teaching me how to do this, as you all here are always helping me out and sending me goodies, and I want to be helpful and learn how to send stuff too.
Each and every day I learn something new here on this forum which is even beyond PSE! Thank you!
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
wow, so much work over my frames while I was away. Hope you get them Beth ! The only ones that are a problem for me to send with dial up are the wood frames cause the files are so large but the others would not have been a problem.

Byron, I forgot I had sent you some bevels…..which ones are they ..have a title ? My styles are as unorganized as my house ! I start some…start another..put those away …start another…got a bunch of half finished style sets…will I ever learn ?
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Jodi,

Inside the file "Jodi_s_Bevels_005.asl" are 18 styles named Style 1, Style 2, … , Style 18.

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
OH OK, thanks…are they any good for anything ? 😉 The thing about bevels like this is that it’s tough to satisfy everyone’s creative needs. What may look great on a large shape ( like those valentines) wont look so great on something else….I guess that is the advantage to using full photoshop…tweek to contentment. 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
I have all of Jodi’s frames and inner glows, but not the bevel styles. I would love to have them, if you could send them to me at I would be very happy.

Thanks again, Jane
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
On the way, Jane…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
Jane, i just sent them.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
oops
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Thank you!! Jodi’s goodies are wonderful!
Signing off for tonight, long and exhausting day, and must be up at 0500 tomorow, Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks everybody! Bryon sent me everything, although I’ll have to get back to him on the zipped files with the wood frams. I might be able to open them, but I didn’t try very hard yet. Louie’s now been here a little over a week and has decided that every night after dinner is play time. Guess what I was doing? 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Jodi, The bevels are awesome! I thank everybody for sending them to me. I just tried one out, great results and so easy.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/26163299>

Hi Beth, We need a picture of Louie, he sounds like a charmer. Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 18, 2004
Jane,

What’s with the "access denied" background?

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 18, 2004
Jodi,

I just checked and I don’t have those bevels either. Could you send them?

Thanks,
Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
Dick, i’m so gald you saw that too…thought it was just me…phewwwww.

Jane, that is so cool. Did you notice the bevel size can be modified ?…good old cursive ‘f’ 😉
M
MLWHEELER
Feb 18, 2004
Byron – if you have all Jodi’s frames, would you be so kind to email the files to me. I’ve heard so much about them, but joined in after the fact. Thank you so much, Michelle
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 18, 2004
<Byron Gale> wrote …
…the other question…

I also have Jodi’s inner glows and bevels – do you need those, too?

Byron, if it is not too much trouble, could you send the zip’s and the whatevers to:

eawurster*nospam*@hotmail.com

Be sure to remove *nospam* before sending, please.

If it would help, and if ok with Jody, I can put these items in a web folder, where they could be easily downloaded, and save you some time.

Thanks.

Ed
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 18, 2004
I three sets of frames from Jodi, but I don’t have the bevels. Must have missed that. Could someone send them on to me also?

If you click on my name and go to my pbase site you can find my email there visible to only pbase users. I don’t have my email posted on this forum for all to see.

I was wondering how some of you create your email alias that you have linked under your name. Is that something we can do here or do we have to do that through our ISP? Dick Smith your alias is very unique! LOL

Patti
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Dick, I’ve had that background Access Denied before, and I think that it was something about my background pictures being "hidden" from the public viewing.
But it seems to be working now. Try it in Netscape, or IE, or a different browser. See if the problem persists?
I have it working now I think, being logged out on my powerbook. I have just made some new backgrounds, and I hope they work. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
for those who haven’t received the bevel styles yet just e-mail me at

and I’ll send them along
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Dick, Think I fixed the pbase background thing. I had the CSS part with the wrong picture # in it.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/26168104>
Jane
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 18, 2004
Ed and Michelle,

They’re on the way…

Byron
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 18, 2004
Patti,

When people write them like that, one just removes the letters which make up "nospam" and the remainder is their address. This is done in hopes of foiling email harvesters.

nancy
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 18, 2004
When people write them like that, one just removes the letters which make up "nospam" and the remainder is their address. This is done in hopes of foiling email harvesters.

Thanks, Nancy! Geez, and I thought it might be complicated or somethin’. I thought you had to sign up for an alias somewhere. Good info to remember!

Patti
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Jodi, I just tried to unstuff (using Stuffit Expander) the 2 new bevel sets you just sent me, but I can’t seem to get them to unzip on my laptop either.
The other set yesterday, just unstuffed perfectly and then I put them right in PSE and they are wonderful.

Does anybody have an idea of what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
hmmmmm, they are the same type of files…go ahead and delete those and I’ll send them to you again…one set at a time.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
OK, I must have done something to them during the download perhaps? Maybe with the cable modem cutting in and out.
Thanks again,
Jane

Edit, cable is going on and off, so I went back on dialup again, but the e-mail is messed up. So I will leave these on the server and go and get them later this afternoon when things are running OK again.
School vacation and a snowstorm, great time for the cable to crap out. Sorry for all this trouble,,,,,
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 18, 2004
Jane,

Yep, that fixed it. Looks good now, for sure. I’m glad you’re getting the snow!

Dick
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 18, 2004
Jodi,

I have sent you an email ….

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 18, 2004
Sorry I seem to have posted twice …
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Jodi, Cable is up and running again, I got the second ones, but still my Stuffit Expander wont do them.
I wonder what is different about these than the bevel set yesterday. I used the one Byron sent as it got to me first.
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
Jane, perhaps Byron should send them to you then. I haven’t had any problems with anyone else not being able to use them…so far. Actually, come to think of it…you don’t need to use anything to ‘open’ the file. Just put the ‘styles’icon into the styles folder. no ? yes ?
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 18, 2004
They came through AOK for me, but they were not zip files, just the Adobe styles with the .asl extension. Just plopped ’em as is in the Presets/Styles folder and they worked fine.

Thanks, Jodi 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Jodi and Patti, Success! Boy am I dumb, I was trying to unstuff the files. Then when you told me to plop them right in to PSE, I did, and they work like a charm!
And I fixed my cable modem, now will attack the router, seeing that my brain is functioning again. Thank you for the goodies!
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
Oh that’s good, ya it kind of rang a bell to me as well when you mentioned your unstuffit..or whatever it’s called ;)….the bell rang a little late over here as well..but better late than never right ?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Jodi,

The bevels arrived and are now installed … WOW … I guess that next weeks challenge will be full of bevels.

They are great … thanks so much

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 19, 2004
Wendy …that’s great !!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 19, 2004
Jodi,

I have been playing around tonight with a Photoshop demo and I made and saved my first ever layer style. Its pretty awful but its the first one I ever tried … maybe I will get better 🙂

Wendy
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 19, 2004
Jodi, If you are doing a "batch" email for the bevels, would you put my name in. I adore your frames, wish I had broadband so I could have the wooden frames … someday I hope.
Marty
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 19, 2004
All this chit-chat about Jodi’s frames — I had to make sure I used one of them.

So… the frame on my #2 Challenge entry is Jodi’s Metallic Frame #9.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 19, 2004
wrote:
Jodi, If you are doing a "batch" email for the bevels, would you put my name in. I adore your frames, wish I had broadband so I could have the wooden frames … someday I hope. Marty

I placed the frames on a web server. The link is:

http://www.wizov.com/support/pse_frame/

You can browse this directory. Click on one of the zips and save to a folder on your local disk. Then extract the files and install. I placed the 5 individual frames into a zip file, so there are three zips.

This will make it easier to download for those on dialup, about 5 minutes each for the larger files, I think.

Ed
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 19, 2004
Marty, I sent you the bevels. Hope you make use of them 😉

Byron, very nice 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 19, 2004
Hi Ed, Thanks too for placing Jodi’s goodies on your web server. I found that I didn’t have Spedia, so got it.
This is where I was confused when I got the direct e-mailed files, I dont have to unstuff ’em, just when I get them from the web.
I learn something new every single day right here.
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 19, 2004
Wow! I really started something didn’t I? Is that good or bad?! 🙂
BL
bob_lemon
Feb 19, 2004
Ed, thanks for doing that. It worked great.

Jodi, thanks for making them available to us. Now to play!!!!!
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 19, 2004
wrote:
Hi Ed, Thanks too for placing Jodi’s goodies on your web server. I found that I didn’t have Spedia, so got it.
This is where I was confused when I got the direct e-mailed files, I dont have to unstuff ’em, just when I get them from the web. I learn something new every single day right here.
Jane

Stuffing or zipping before emailing is preferred – .sit and .zip files are passed along with less problems from server to server.

I did take the unstuffed files and compressed them like the other two files. I did this because it simplifies things.

Call me old-fashioned.

Ed
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 19, 2004
Beth….it’s good, it’s good!
RC
Robert_Camacho
Feb 19, 2004
I have none of Jodi’s frames, inner glows, and bevel styles but would love to have them also. Would you be able to send them to me at ? Thanks
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks for explaining this, now I understand it much better. Jane
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 19, 2004
Robert,

See Ed Wurster’s post from earlier today — he has the frames posted for download on the web. (Nice going, Ed!)

Byron
N
nytrashman7618
Feb 19, 2004
Beth…….you can tell the truth, that new doggie of yours ate your frames & bevels now didn’t he/she???? let me know if you have gotten them all and if you were able to open them. if not i will send them to you from my Mac using "STUFFIT" instead of winzip so your Mac will be able to open them.

Jodi…….did you ever get that computer tower you were looking for? if not drop me a line i might have just what your looking for.

George
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 19, 2004
George, I dropped you a line…hope it didn’t break 🙂
SK
Shan_Ko
Feb 20, 2004
Hi Jane,

I didn’t have Spedia too, among others, and I like to complete the set. The files had been downloaded from ED’s site, extracted and placed in a temp folder. But I forgot which folder in PSE2 I should palce these frames. Can you help?

Shan
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 20, 2004
wrote:
I didn’t have Spedia too, among others, and I like to complete the set. The files had been downloaded from ED’s site, extracted and placed in a temp folder. But I forgot which folder in PSE2 I should palce these frames. Can you help?

I extracted the instructions and put those in a text file:

http://www.wizov.com/support/pse_frame/jodi_readme.txt

This is where the files go:

Program files>Adobe>Elements>presets>styles.

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 20, 2004
Good morning! I think I have all Jodi’s files now, thanks for everything everybody!. Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 21, 2004
Oh Geeze, i meant to get here sooner..sorry….thank You Ed for posting my styles for everyone to pick up…..you are a blessing 😉 Thank you.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 21, 2004
wrote:
Oh Geeze, i meant to get here sooner..sorry….thank You Ed for posting my styles for everyone to pick up…..you are a blessing 😉 Thank you.

You’re welcome. Do you know if most Mac users can download and unzip the files?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 21, 2004
Ed, I’m not a Macamatition but I never heard of any problems with the styles however Maccers use something like ‘unstuffit’ for compressed files….lots of mac users here to correct me on that.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 21, 2004
Hi Jodi, My Stuffit Expander does the .zip files too.
I think that it came with my Mac when I bought it, its an Aladdin product. That’s all I really know, but it works fine.
And thanks for all the goodies!
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 21, 2004
Jane, thanks for passing on the " My Stuffit Expander " for those interested in the files…i imagine it’s a free file ? free download ? Beth ?
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 21, 2004
Yes, Jodi, it’s freeware. There’s another one called MacZip that is freeware and works with some Windows compression utilities better than Stuffit Expander. I think it depends on what was used originally. It seems to me that Richard Lynch had some of his ‘stuff stuffed’ by something that required MacZip, but I could be mistaken.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 21, 2004
Yes, Beth, I remember that now, I couldn’t unstuff-zip Richard’s stuff, so Sara did them for me and sent them to me.
Jane
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 21, 2004
wrote:
Jane, thanks for passing on the " My Stuffit Expander " for those interested in the files…i imagine it’s a free file ? free download ? Beth ?

Stuffit Expander
http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/index.html

Ed
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 22, 2004
Ed … I downloaded a couple of Jodi’s things from your site and Stuffit unzipped them … no problems.

The only time I needed MacZip was for Richard’s last download.

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 22, 2004
Jodi,

One of the things I downloaded from Ed’s site was Jodi’s Spedia … they are truly awesome. Just one question though what does Spedia mean?

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 22, 2004
Don’t ask, Wendy! Actually she came up with that after a discussion about sepia but she accidentally misspelled it. We all thought she should leave it the way it was! It made it unique to Jodi. 🙂
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 22, 2004
I’ve finally got around to trying Jodi’s layer styles – they are very nice, thank you both to Jodi for making them and Ed for posting them, and some of the bevels in particular are well worth having. Quick question – what resolution were they created for? (Layer styles seem to be the one thing in PS/Elements where it is resolution rather than pixel dimensions that is important – I didn’t realise this until I read the PS7 one-click wow book – I can now create layer styles in the PS6 demo that show up more or less the same way in Elements!)

Susan S.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 22, 2004
Susan,

I have a query about creating layer styles … do you mind if I email you?

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 22, 2004
Hi Beth,

Thanks for the info on Spedia … its rather a good name. The layers styles are so different from anything else I have seen … I am now building up a nice collection of Jodi’s styles.

Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 22, 2004
No problems Wendy – my email is in my profile-just click on my name, assuming you are reading through the website. I’m not very good at layer styles though, so I don’t know how much help I’ll be! (and I’m about to to bed!)

Susan S.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 22, 2004
Susan, good morning (here). Once again, I’ve gained a valuable insight from you: I didn’t know that layer styles were truly tied to resolution, and that the size of their application would change with changing ppi only – even with resampling unchecked! (I’d underline that if I knew a way…) Further, the styles are applied to more of the picture area as resolution goes up – I would have thought it to be the other way around. In my case the frame looked best when applied at 300 ppi for a 2000 by 1500 (approx) picture. Interestingly, you can change the resolution, apply the frame to get exactly the percentage coverage you want, then change the resolution back to the number you want for printing and see no screen change in the appearance of the frame! Fascinating….

I should qualify all my comments as applying to a PC….not sure how the Mac handles.

Chuck
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 22, 2004
Chuck – it’ s the same on Mac as far as I can tell – and the "insight" is entirely due to the One-click WOW book which is the only place that I’ve seen it mentioned – I’ve been puzzling for nearly a year as to why I couldn’t get consistent results with layer styles (especially ones that I had created myself!) without changing the scale of the layer style after applying it, and couldn’t find any reference to it. I’d had it drummed into my head so often that it is pixel dimension that is important rather than resolution that I didn’t work it out for myself! And it is rather hard to work out by experiment as you say – once a layer style is applied, changing the resolution has no effect on its appearance – you need to remove the layer style, change the resolution and then reapply the style…
Susan S.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 22, 2004
Susan, I think you can change pixel dimensions and reapply the style without removing the previous one – the new application supersedes the old one. I thought for a minute you had come upon a great way to apply overlapping styles to a single layer, but it appears that the program will only give you one style to a layer….darn.

Chuck
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 22, 2004
Susan,

Will email you later … there is no rush.

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 22, 2004
Susan

I gather from the Wow book that it is styles with pattern and textures which can fall victim to softening. It looks like the resampling is the biggest factor. I notice that having the resample turned off is heavily emphasized. This makes sense to me. I imagine that you would have to experiment with your own creations. I think the optimal 225 resolution along with the percentages scales given could be Wow Style specific. I’m just thinking that the Wows were probably designed from the get go with a specific resolution in mind. Have you noticed at the exchange some of the authors advise on using a specific resolution for a given style set? This leads me to believe that style optimum settings widely fluctuate depending on what setting the author used to create them.

Terri
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 22, 2004
This is where ‘scale effects’>toolbar>layer>layer style>’scale effects’ come into play…..most layer styles can be adjusted with this option depending on the resolution of the image. When I created my styles I tested at 72 for web and 300 res for print. Some styles do some funky things on high res images but can be tamed with scale effects.
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 22, 2004
Thanks Jodi – that was what I guessed (they looked better in 72, although most were’t terribly sensitive to resolution) It’s a bit easier to get the scaling right if you know the starting point!

Susan S.
SK
Shan_Ko
Feb 24, 2004
Ed,

Thank you so much for the help in your post #61.

Shan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections