GL
Posted By
Guillermo_Labarca
Oct 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop CS2 and Elements. Both freeze while opening an image. I get the message of "programm not running". Both programs have worked OK for more than a year, a week ago I started with this problem. I can not fix it. I have renamed preferences, after it it worked OK only once on Elements, but then keep freezing. No effect on PS. I can see the same images in any other program for images. I have 1 giga Ram and about 40 mega in hard disk free. My computer is a Dell Dimension 8250. Pentium processor and running on Windows XP. Thank you for your help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 8, 2006
40MB is nowhere near enough free space.

You need at least 10GB of free defragmented space for Photoshop’s scratch files. Then more again for the Windows Paging file. Not to mention all the other numerous volatile TEMP files which pretty much every application creates whilst it is working.

No HDD should ever be allowed to become more than around 85% full. HDD space in cheap (and vital)

Time to dig into the pockets 🙂
GL
Guillermo_Labarca
Oct 8, 2006
Thank you Chris. i made a mistake I have more than 40 GB.. I think that I solved the problem by deleting everything related to Adobe, including Elemens and Image Ready, I deleted everything in Cache as well and I charged Photoshop again. Now it is working, quite slow but I can do the most urgent things.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections