Photoshop CS2 File Saving Extension Error fix!

BB
Posted By
bernard_brzezinski
Oct 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is how to fix an error that the occurs in photoshop cs2. I have discovered that when saving files, photoshop was not including the extension in the file. So sometimes I would get a file that saved correctly, but most of the time the file saved without an extension and when reopened was corrupted. There have been many forum discussions on other sites about this problem. I am here to provide the solution. If you are having this problem, goto

Run from the start menu. Type in regedit and press enter. Look for this path and do as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\comdlg32\NoFileMru change to 0 from 1

This will fix the problem.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 7, 2006
It’s not an error in CS2 – it’s something that you enabled with software like TweakUI and forgot to remove when it caused all kinds of problems.

The files are not corrupted, they were just saved with the wrong extension.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Oct 8, 2006
Good luck in getting TweakUI completely off your system so Photoshop can name files properly. It took a reformat and reinstall for me.

Bill
FG
fred_garland
Dec 2, 2006
Just want to comment and bump this back to the top. My problem was when doing a "save as", then changing the format, it would do the save under the requested format, but it would not change the file extension. PS would open it correctly, but some other programs might say "invalid jpg format". Well of course it was invalid … it was tif! I tried numerous things unsuccessfully, including uninstalling many other programs that I thought might have created a conflict. The above registry edit fixed the problem. Just make sure you’re comfortable working with the registry.

I had run "tweak and tune" several times, changing different things. I have no idea if that was the problem, but it has now been uninstalled, and the registry scrubbed. Removal and scrubbing wasn’t sufficient. I still needed the registry edit.

A hearty thanks to Bernard for solving a most frustrating problem!
H
Ho
Dec 2, 2006
This fix was posted at least twice previously. It would be nice to have it in the FAQs, but Adobe is probably reluctant to tell people to tweak their registries.
BB
bernard_brzezinski
Dec 2, 2006
You guys are welcome. I hope it helps.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 2, 2006
Just turning off that option in TweakUI also fixes the problem.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections