Jodi_Frye
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry Bob,,,but I need help.

Anybody have an old PC tower laying around that I can buy from you….cheap 😉

at least a P3 with at least w98….for my 5 year old daughter. She’ll be playing her learning games and using Adobe deluxe 4. I have the other stuff…just need working tower. Thanks.

Brent ? 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 16, 2004
Jodi,

When I had to buy a Windows machine for my business a couple of years back, I bought from these guys <http://www.surplusvillage.com>. They buy back leased machines and other large lots of computers. I picked up an IBM Pentium 2 (can’t remember the rest of the specs but it had plenty of ram, a large hard drive and looked to be almost brand new) for something like $250. You have to kind of watch the site for a while until they get in a big lot and then you pounce.

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 16, 2004
There’s a PIII on there, Jodi, for about $45. No RAM or HD of course, but maybe amongst the people on the forum there are some spare parts sitting around! 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 16, 2004
Sorry, Jodi,
My son-in-law keeps me cleaned out of useable spare parts. <G>

🙂

Brent
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 16, 2004
On the last page of the Desktops, there are 519 – 2.4ghz Athalon, 60gb HD Presarios with WindowsXP Home edition and they’re going for $375. Is that in the ball park?

Joe
G
garyheaton
Feb 16, 2004
Jodi,
You can get one of these on line from Wal-Mart brand new for $199.98. It includes: Microtel SYSMAR417 PC With Lycoris OS & AMD Duron 1.4GHz AMD Duron 1.4 GHz processor with 3DNow! technology
200 MHz frontside bus
128 MB SDRAM, expandable to 2 GB
266 MHz memory speed
40 GB Ultra-DMA 100 hard drive, 5400 rpm (total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment)
52x CD-ROM drive
Integrated video with up to 8 MB shared video memory
Integrated AC ’97 audio
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet connection
Mid ATX tower case (17.5"D x 7.5"W x 15"H) Available external drive bays: two 5.25-inch, one 3.5-inch internal 2 available PCI slots
Serial port
Parallel port
2 USB 1.1 ports
104-key keyboard
2-button mouse with wheel
Audio port (line-in, line-out, mic-in)
Stereo speakers
1-year warranty, return to manufacturer

Software includes:
GIMP digital image editor
Word processor, spreadsheet, presentation maker, addressbook, calendar Contact manager and time management
Digikam digital camera software supporting over 162 digital cameras Mozilla Web browser and email client
XMMS MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WAV digital music player
Audio CD player
Xine DVD/DiVX player
10 games including Solitaire, Tetris, Asteroids and Galaga Desktop/LX update wizard
Adobe Acrobat Reader
RealPlayer
Shockwave Flash
Java Runtime Environment
Kooka digital scanner program
Desktop/LX install wizard
Koncd CD burning software
KDict Dictionary Client
Full photo-editing suite with over 25 filters and layers Capable of opening and saving select Photoshop files
Send and view digital faxes
Built-in Web browser
Record digital audio clips and save as WAV files
Burn and rip your own music CDs and back up your data onto CD-R or CD-RW Maximize your home network by viewing shared files with the Desktop/LX network browser Simple right-click file sharing
Built-in firewall for air-tight Internet security
Data snapshot, backup and recovery program for configuration changes Use Desktop Sharing to export your desktop for remote control or demonstrations on the network Powerful remote assistance included for fixing problems via the Internet Full access to the Iris Software Gallery, where you can download additional programs at no charge, including software for multi-track music editing, Web-page authoring, games, personal money management and more

It is a Linux based machine, but if you have a win’98 cd laying around, it would be easy enough to change it to a windows machine Jodi. And for $200, you get a lot of NEW bang for the buck.<smile>
Just a thought anyway. Good luck with your search.
Gary~*
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 16, 2004
hmmmm, thanks for all the input guys….I think I’m going to have to go look in the newspaper for ‘cheaper’ deals. I’m not in the position to spend more than 100 at this point ( since I bought the new monitor)

BY the way..Thanks GARY !!! I love my new Samsung 950b !!! It’s freekin fab !
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 16, 2004
Jodi, you might also take a cruise through local thrift stores. Ours are usually overwhelmed with donated PCs for almost nothing–hardly ever any mac stuff, though.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 16, 2004
Thanks Barb, i guess i can take a ride over to that part of town and take a looksy. Can’t hurt to try.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 17, 2004
Hi Jodi, Check out the newspaper for sale ads in the nearest large town, there are usually lots of great deals.
Or as I did a couple of years ago, try a computer store, as they have fantastic trade ins. I got a 2 year old iMac for $300. The case was a bit scratched.
Most people around here give the Macs to our local community schools so its hard to find a Mac, but a PC should be easy. I have a couple down cellar that I must pack up and take over to the school.
Or try a Staples or Wall mart if you have one nearby, they have incredible deals on PCs, no Macs though.
My grandson has a PC that will do most anything. Its one of the put-together-spare-parts ones. Good luck,,,,,,,
Jane
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 17, 2004
Jodi

I think the secret to getting a deal is to have he money ready but don’t jump to soon. In October I got a 5 month old Hp laptop all software, and three PCMCIA cards, mouse, link card, all cables, manual and a premium carring case for the equivalent of about $300 US. Just because I snapped the money down when he said the price. And get this it was not hot…. a legit deal.

Grant
SK
Shan_Ko
Feb 17, 2004
Jodi,

If I had known that old puters can still be useful to little ones….

For several months the year before, we had to search for organizations to accept our P1 and P2 machines. Most scools around here all have up-to-date puters donated by corporations. We were really happy when finally a school was willing to accept them. Had to drive over thirty miles to make delivery. My wife got a new Sony last month and she couldn’t wait to give away her old P3 to a handyman. When he comes around again next week, I’ll ask if I can give him something else for that puter. That one would be ideal for your five year old, and it’s free.

Shan
R
Ray
Feb 17, 2004
Jodi,

Some companies sell their old PCs for a very little price. If you have friends who works in office towers, check with them. You might get lucky!

Ray
G
garyheaton
Feb 17, 2004
Jodi,
I am glad your happy with your new monitor. I assume the bands you were seeing are now gone? I hope so anyway. With the new video card you have now as well, it must seem like owning a new computer. 🙂
Checking with companies is a very good idea. When they upgrade they usually offer them to their own workers first, so if you know anyone, they can usually buy as many of them as they wish to very cheap..or even free. For instance, last fall I bought 8 computers and monitors from my wife’s company for $10.00 each. Including a new keyboard, and mouse with each of them.<LAUGH> I junked the computers, and just stripped out the parts however.
Around here used computers are strictly give away items more or less, (unless it is a reasonably new computer anyway).people dont even try to sell them anymore.) In the summer you can see them at yard sales all the time for under $50, monitors included.
I have sent a few older ones to relatives of mine out of state for their own use, but for the price of shipping, and proper boxing, so they dont rattle apart on the way, it is really just as cheap to buy one locally if you want a used one Jodi. (That is just my opinion of course.)
Good luck with your search..glad you like your new monitor, and that Newegg did a good job getting it to you. 🙂
Gary~*
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 17, 2004
Gary, yes, the banding is definietly a thing of the past 😉 I appreciate your advice and I will keep my eyes and ears open.

Shan, that is extremely generous…keep me posted on what happens…that would be really great. I’ll send you all the shipping costs….of course 🙂

Ray, I was trying to think of someone i knew that works in an office. Off hand I can’t think of anyone…..not anyone I am still in contact with anyways…except my hub who works at Sears…..unfortunetly Sears has jumped onto the Ebay bandwagon and they are actually trying to sell everything and anything they can.

Anyways, thank you all for all the suggestions posted here. Lots of good ideas ! Thanks.
SK
Shan_Ko
Feb 19, 2004
Jodi,

Just sent you an email.

Shan
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 19, 2004
Yup,got it. thank you Shan, i appreciate all your efforts and the thought involved. Appreciate it 😉

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections