Disappearing of all colors (including desktop-colors)

AM
Posted By
Armand_Meert
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

after installing "Photoshop Elements 2.0" AND rebooting I get a normal colored desktop for only one second, then all colors vanish and I get a kind of black-white representation of it and of everthing. That happens after each reboot. I use windows XP and the Monitor FLATRON F700P. I tried various color-profiles without getting colors again.
After de-installing the programm all the colors re-appear after rebooting.

Thank you for any valuable idea!
Armand Meert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 16, 2004
Have you checked the website for your monitor manufacturer to verify that you’re using the most current driver available? Also check Control Panels to see how many colors the monitor is set to display. Shift to another setting, too, and see if that makes a difference. I’m not familiar with the various choices, so I can’t be more specific, and I’m on a Mac PowerBook, so my options would be different from yours, I think.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 16, 2004
Sounds like the Adobe Gamma Loader is loading an incorrect or inappropriate profile. Did you ever run the Adobe Gamma utility and is that an LCD or a CRT? Check your settings to see which profile is associated with your monitor and post back.
AM
Armand_Meert
Feb 17, 2004
After having installed the programm AND BEFORE booting the system I get the correct colors. I can even start and use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 without lost of colors. Now I learned that I don’t need to reboot; starting and using the "Adobe Gamma Loader" is all what I have to do to loose all colors 😉 and then it is all the same what options I ever try. It is always "black-white" and it continue to be so.
By the way, I tried different profiles – without any positiv result.

I also checked the monitor panel. It is all the same: shifting to other settings doesn’t lead to a re-appearing of colors 😉

I contacted the monitor manufacturer as you suggested. I asked also if they know about an incompatibility of their monitor FLATRON F700P with the Adobe-Programm. I hope there will be an answer in a few days.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I’m very grateful for your help.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 17, 2004
Armand,

I went and looked up your monitor and see that it is a CRT.

Did you ever run the Adobe Gamma Utility from the Control Panel (in Windows)?

Do you have a profile from the manufacturer for this monitor? You said you tried different profiles… different monitor model profiles, just a color space like Adobe RGB or what?

Turn the hardware acceleration all the way down in your system and see if this makes a difference. If so, maybe a video card driver issue.

In display properties, do you have colors set to 24 or 32 bit? That is where it should be, no 16 bit here:)

In Pse under Edit>Color Settings, what are you using for a Color Management setting, (Adobe RGB, sRGB or none)?

Post back with some feedback on these questions so that hopefully this problem will get narrowed down.

EDIT—also maybe try closing all other programs and disabling any antivirus software before you launch PSE. Maybe there are dueling banjos going on in the background. Do you have a tablet installed? Are you on a network?
AM
Armand_Meert
Feb 18, 2004
Hi Nancy,
I checked your ideas step by step. Here my results:

– I run the Adobe Gamma Utility from the Control Panel (Windows XP).

– I tried the profile from the manufacturer of my new monitor, the LGF700P (icc-profile); but I tried also AdobeRGB1998, kodak_dc, sRGB Color Space Profile (now presently my standard).

– My colors are set to 32bit.

– I’m not on a network (single PC on Internet).

– I disabled all other programs (Zone Alarm, Antivirus, …).

– After installing Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 AND BEFORE rebooting the system, I can use any program, even Adobe Photoshop Elements, without lost of colors; but running the Adobe Gamma Utility from the Control Panel in the "step by step modus" (sorry for possibly incorrect descriptions, because I’m in Germany; all denominations of the programs are in german), I get first a choose of the color-profile (I tried them all), and continuing I get the choose of "Phosphor-colors". The value is "HDTV(CCIR709)" (other values: NTSC(1953), P22-EBU,…, Trinitron, …). When I confirm any choose, than exactly at that moment ALL COLORS on the monitor disappear!

– Without using or trying the Adobe Gamma Utility, I get automatically the total lost of colors on the monitor AFTER REBOOT, but viewing first for about 1 second a normal colored desktop. THis happens after EACH REBOOT.

I hope these results may narrow down the problem…
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 18, 2004
Armand,

In Photoshop Elements, under Image>Mode, is it set to RGB?

For the Phosphor…are you sure about the High Definition Television setting? Hmmmm…it sounds strange to me. Most monitors are P22.

I hope someone else will join in this discussion soon…

Nancy
AM
Armand_Meert
Feb 19, 2004
Hi Nancy,
Yes, mode is set to RGB.
I changed Phospor to P22… and after affirming with OK I loose all the colors. After reboot the same behaviour as described.
Armand
M
matisse44
Apr 7, 2004
I’ve had the exact same thing happen to me. I ran Win 98Se before installing XP and never had any problems with installing Photoshop
7.0. Photoshop works fine after the installation but once I reboot the
computer all the colors turn black and white (except the icons on my desktop).

Did you manage to find a solution? If yes, would you mind sharing it with me?

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections