L
Posted By
Lundberg02
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any guesses on whether there will be a 10.4.8 before Leopard? What number will Leopard carry, I don’t remember seeing a number in the PR.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
10.4.8 is rumoured to be posted within the next two weeks.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 19, 2006
What little bird said that?

I wonder….
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
Probably ThinkSecret, or some similar site started the rumour, but I can’t remember where I originally saw it reported.

More here:
<http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060829081002.shtml>
R
Ram
Sep 20, 2006
I’d bet a dollar that there will even be a 10.4.9 release right before Leopard.
S
SteveV
Sep 20, 2006
We’ve had .9’s all the way from 10.0 onwards (haven’t we?), so I wouldn’t expect anything else.
B
Buko
Sep 20, 2006
nope. 10.2.8 was the last of the 10.2s

and 10.1.5 was the kast of the 10.1s

and 10,0.4 was the last of the 10.0s
S
SteveV
Sep 21, 2006
Oops

Lousy memory!!! Be more… something something. ๐Ÿ˜‰
P
progress
Sep 21, 2006
& 10.3.9 was the last of the 3’s…
B
Buko
Sep 21, 2006
That is true. but Steve made the comment

We’ve had .9’s all the way from 10.0 onwards (haven’t we?), so I wouldn’t expect anything else.

so I was refreshing his memory.
L
Larryr544
Sep 21, 2006
Ah the memory pause that refreshes! ๐Ÿ™‚
B
Bernie
Sep 29, 2006
Now showing in software update.
I can’t find a combo.
C
Cindy
Sep 29, 2006
148mb! Big file! Downloading now. I think I’ll wait until some others install before I do so please post results.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
Will have to give it a try. It can’t be worse than 10.4.7. :/
C
Cindy
Sep 29, 2006
I will be right here waiting. ๐Ÿ™‚
AK
ashley_karyl
Sep 29, 2006
10.1.8, 10.2.8 and 10.3.8 were all horrible. I am going to wait this one out for a while. For some reason the .8 update has always been a disaster for me and then they release the .9 version about a week before the next major update to fix major problems. By that stage your just desperate to buy the upgrade.
L
Lundberg02
Sep 29, 2006
Geez, I ask a question and ten days later a giant corporation flings 148MB at me. It took forever to download because the download steadily decreased during the transfer. Started out at 177MB/sec, ended up at 88.
I’m going to repair permissions before and after this one. It isn’t available on Software update yet for some reason.
I don’t see anything in it that means much to me, but maybe the iTunes audio might be worthwhile.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
There are separate Combo 10.4.8 Updates for PPC machines and for Mac_Intel machines.

PPC 10.4.8 Combo update (as noted by Buko) 149MB:

< http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1048comboupdate ppc.html>

Mac-Intel 10. 4.8 Combo update 294MB:

< http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3rdpty2.pl/product= 11797&cat=1&platform=osx&method=sa/MacOSXUpdComb o10.4.8Intel.dmg>

Note that the Mac-Intel 10,4,8 is practically double the size of its PPC counterpart.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
I went ahead and installed it, since I hadn’t been too happy with 10.4.7.

So far so good.
C
Cindy
Sep 29, 2006
I installed it too. Everything seems ok so far. Used the Combo.
JG
Jim_Goshorn
Sep 29, 2006
So far, combo is good for me as well.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2006
I repaired disk, ran DiskWarrior and repaired and permissions before the update. When I repaired permissions AFTER the update, there were a gazillion things to be fixed.

I’m going to run DiskWarrior and Repair Permissions once again.
C
Cindy
Sep 29, 2006
When I repaired permissions AFTER the update, there were a gazillion things to be fixed.

I noticed the same thing. Looked like most of it was in Dashboard Widgets.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
It isn’t available on Software Update yet for some reason.

The COMBOs never are ย— which is the reason that I never use Software Update!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
So far so good ย… .

I had a trouble-free update (via the Combo) and all Apps. that I have tried so far (including the CS2 Suite) seem to be fine.

(Incidentally, my post-update Repair Permissions zipped through with no files showing-up in DiskUtility as being repaired.)
B
Buko
Sep 29, 2006
10.1.8, 10.2.8 and 10.3.8 were all horrible.

not all.

as there was no 10.1.8. the last of the 10.1s was 10.1.5.
KJ
Kathryn_Jenkins
Sep 29, 2006
10.1.8, 10.2.8 and 10.3.8 were all horrible. I am going to wait this one out for a while. For some reason the .8 update has always been a disaster for me

It’s just you. Steve hates you.
R
Ram
Sep 30, 2006
Hey, folks, this is a MAJOR update. Here are some of the highlights:

[emphasis on arbitrarily selected items mine]

– sharing using AFP, SMB/CIFS, NFS and FTP file sharing protocols – reliable access to Open Directory, LDAP and Active Directory services – login and authentication in a variety of network environments – file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing – network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files – connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec and NAT
– AirPort including connectivity to EAP-FAST networks
– Bluetooth wireless connectivity
– RAW camera support, including updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers – usability of Dashboard and widgets
– searching iWork ย‘06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight – saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory – viewing of QuickTime streaming media behind a firewall – audio playback in QuickTime, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, and Soundtrack applications – ensuring icons are spaced correctly when viewed on desktop – determining the space required to burn folders
– synchronizing contacts, bookmarks, and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones – mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes
– time zone and daylight savings for 2006 and 2007
– using OpenType fonts in Microsoft Word
– Address Book, AppleScript, Automator, Dictionary, Font Book, iCal, iChat, DVD Player, Keynote, Mail, Preview, Safari, and Stickies
– Disk Utility, Keychain Access, Migration Assistant, and Software Update – compatibility with third party applications and devices – previous Mac OS X updates and standalone security updates
L
Lundberg02
Sep 30, 2006
Hey, thanks Ramon. Your list called my attention to the one huge deal for me

connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec and NAT.

At last!!! Thia saves me a bunch of trouble.
L
Lundberg02
Sep 30, 2006
Repaired about a dozen before, none after. The restart shut itself off and restarted again, which was a bit of a scare.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2006
Yes, recent Mac OS upgrades do do that double start; and Apple really need to post a warning about it so that people don’t panic and reach for the power switch.
S
SteveV
Sep 30, 2006
I’ll let you know how it goes without repairing permissions or checking the tyres, and I’ll be running with scissors the whole time.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2006
Just make sure that you don’t stab your Cintiq with those scissors ย…

8)
R
Ram
Sep 30, 2006
MacBook owners note:

Keep a copy of your "LCD color" display profile.

For some weird reason, the 10.4.8 update installs a corrupted profile that makes your screen look as if you have a blue plastic sheet in front of it.

Reinstalling the profile and selecting it in Display Preferences, fixes the problem.

(Just a bit of wisdom gained by helping a MacBook owner who was just about to suffer a stroke from his indignation over the results of the update. :))
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Sep 30, 2006
There’s an interesting new feature in the Mouse pref pane which is automatically turned on called "Zoom using scroll wheel"

Hold down the control key and use your scroll wheel. Works with trackpads which have preferences set to "Use two fingers to scroll"

In the prefpane there is also an Options button which leads you to "Smooth Images" which anit-aliases the entire screen as you scroll. If a pixel by pixel image is desired, turn it off.

I’m not sure if it works with Wacom tablets yet.
B
Bernie
Sep 30, 2006
Works with the Wacom mouse.

Similar to the less convenient function in universal access.
B
Buko
Sep 30, 2006
Works with Tablets too.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 1, 2006
Looks like we’ll get 10.4.9 as a turkey for Thanksgiving.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2006
Sources?

Or should that be "sauces"?
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2006
Looks like we’ll get 10.4.9 as a turkey for Thanksgiving.

I would not be surprised.
B
Buko
Oct 1, 2006
What about 10.4.10?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 1, 2006
So far, 10.4.8 is stable for me.

And it does fix a bunch of known OS bugs.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 1, 2006
I don’t think the dial goes to 11.
RR
Reed_Reed
Oct 1, 2006
No problems installing 10.4.8 on 2 G5s, a G4, and an IBook G4. No lost profiles, no double starts on reboot.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2006
Zero problems here with 10.4.8 as well.

If you read the Apple/Tiger Forum, all the people who have had problems seem to have used Software Update ย— instead of downloading, and using, the Combo.

And what’s the betting that they didn’t follow the instructions to Repair Disks and Permissions and to disconnect peripherals before upgrading?
RR
Reed_Reed
Oct 1, 2006
I used Software update, not the combo updater. Since I had 10.4.7 already on the machines, I figured the combo route was unnecessary.

Repaired permissions fore and aft (I have never read an adequate explanation about the reason for doing this, even the postings from Apple, but it’s easy enough to do, and I must admit there are things I do in "real life," just to "be on the safe side" that are probably no less superstitious). Digital voodoo. If it’s so important, the "official" Apple OS updater should be doing it as part of the update process, before and after. It makes absolutely no sense for them to publish advice about the necesity of this operation and to then leave it out of subsequent updaters.

For some reason, an iTunes update also came up. I was sure I had already updated to the most reason version. But I let that run also.

No peripheral drives to worry about.

As stated, no problems, as far as I can tell.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2006
The reason for using the Combo is that it re-installs ALL the components of the System with the latest version.

(That would be the equivalent of buying a new 10.4.8 Installer CD from Apple.)

On the other hand, "Software Update" only over-writes the components in your System which have actually been changed in the new version.

Therefore if a component that is not due to be upgraded is already corrupt, that corruption will not be detected, nor repaired, by Software Update.

Because of this, I always use only the COMBOs.
B
Buko
Oct 1, 2006
Since I had 10.4.7 already on the machines, I figured the combo route was unnecessary.

In my opinion the combo is always necessary when the combo would take a day or two to show up after the software update version I would always install it over software update version.
RR
Reed_Reed
Oct 1, 2006
Ann and Buko,

I have absolutely no way to test the validity of the "Combo is better" assertion. However, while I think it’s also voodoo, over a problem-less 10.4.7 install, I will not argue the point, as I agree that it’s easy enough to do to achieve whatever benefits lurk there, and will shortly apply that over my, otherwise-new, 10.4.8 updates. I’ll also turn around 3 times, sprinkle salt over my shoulder and cant, "Olly, olly, oxen free."

But the not-so-rhetorical question remains, as with the need to repair permissions, what in the world is Apple doing, making available multiple methods of updating, some of which result in corrupt installs?
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2006
Ann,

If you read the Apple/Tiger Forum, all the people who have had problems seem to have used Software Update

The vast majority of them are MacBook owners.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2006
what in the world is Apple doing, making available multiple methods
of updating, some of which result in corrupt installs? >

Basically there is usually quite a difference in size between the two versions.

The Software Update is a pared-down version which means shorter download-times for those who are stuck with a dial-up connection. SU also provides an easy and automatic installation method for the less savvy User.

But there are drawbacks ย… .
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2006
The reasons for repairing Permissions and for applying updates manually have been explained often enough.

It’s each user’s prerogative to use whatever method they prefer.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Oct 2, 2006
The reasons for repairing Permissions and for applying updates manually have been explained often enough.It’s each user’s prerogative to use whatever method they prefer.

While true enough, there seems to be a huge oversight in Apple’s programming to continue NOT including this procedure in the actual install. They have "checking disk" and "optimizing files" and a number of other things including the new "double restart" with installs now … why not toss in the scripts to run a permission repair before and after too?

It abhors logic.
R
Ram
Oct 2, 2006
why not toss in the scripts to run a permission repair before and after too?

Apple has never bothered to answer that question.
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Oct 2, 2006
there seems to be a huge oversight in Apple’s programming to continue NOT including this procedure in the actual install

why not toss in the scripts to run a permission repair before and after too?

Perhaps because importance of performing this procedure is not what some would have you believe. <G>

I used to perform "rain dance" before and after but once fell on my ass (can’t dance)ย… before no wait maybe it was afterย… anyway it didn’t affect my update one way or another. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Believe voodoo if you wantย… or don’tย…

I never performed "repair permissions" before/after installing anything and things are running just fineย… call me lucky if you want. <G>
P
PECourtejoie
Oct 2, 2006
Ramรณn, you are using Tiger, now? when/why did you switch? to Try Lightroom?
R
Ram
Oct 2, 2006
Pierre,

What happened was that I received a free copy of Tiger.

Alas, I took one look at Lightroom and ran in the opposite direction. ๐Ÿ™ Not for me.

In the short time that I have been running Tiger, I have experienced several kernel panics, which I had never seen since the days of Cheetah, Puma and Jaguar on my Frankenmac with mismatched RAM. The most serious, persistent ones on the "new" machine I was ultimately able to trace back to two old Iomega devices in the SCSI chain, but even those run flawlessly under Panther.

I have installed Panther on a spare volume of the fourth internal hard drive. I’m still very unsure about Tiger. Lots of SBOD occurrences, most last only a second or so, others up to 15 seconds. Maybe because I have re-enabled Spotblight, which I’m planning to disable again this morning. Time will tell.
RR
Reed_Reed
Oct 2, 2006
Installed 10.4.8 Combo over 10.4.8 delta on G5s, G4, G4 iBook. All double-started on reboot vs single start after the delta update. All restarted pretty fast except the IBook which took much longer than the restart after the delta update.

Otherwise nothing of note except everything seems to be working.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 3, 2006
I thought everything was grand, just grand. But I went to a page I use for work, in Safari, and lo! tabbed browsing doesn’t work. It was erratic before, but now it doesn’t do anything except create a new tab and remove the old one when you cmd click on a bookmark bar item.

Or maybe I never understood tabbed browsing in the first place.
S
SteveV
Oct 3, 2006
<cough>use firefox</cough>
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2006
Safari works great here.

maybe you should trash the prefs.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 3, 2006
I think so, too but I don’t know where they are. I’ll figure it out. I probably will use Firefox. Safari’s tabbed browsing was unreliable when it did work.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
Your Preferences can be found in:
User/you/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Other people have solved browser problems by temporarily removing all contents from: <boot volume>/Library/Internet Plug-ins/
and then adding them back again, a few at a time, so as to isolate any bad ones.

Something else to try would be to run the latest Apple COMBO updater over your existing System installation.

That said, I have not had any problems with Safari 2.0.4 at all ย— and the tabbing works perfectly too.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 3, 2006
I’m running 2.0.4. I never tried tabbing until 10.4.6, in any of my browsers. Safari exhibited erratic behavior, tabs would arbitrarily disappear and the various cmd-x-click things didn’t seem to do what they were suppposed to. After 10.4.8, I tried tabbing when I was in an Outlook mailbox web site from which tabbing had previously sort of worked. None of the tabbing commands did anything except what you would expect when clicking in the usual way on a bookmark. I sent a bug report.
Today when I tabbed from other sites it was back to abnormal. Tabs appeared by cmd click but would sometimes disappear when a new tab came up. This is too erratic for work use. I think I’ll use Firefox for the work thing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
Tabs appeared by cmd click but would sometimes disappear when a new tab came up.>

First, make sure that tabbing is enabled in Safari’s Prefs.

You need to Cmd Click to make any bookmark open in a new Tab.

Once you have a number of Tabs set-up, you just click on an individual tab to go to that URL (no Cmd key).

If you want Google to put a search result into a new tab, Cmd T to create the empty tab before hitting Enter on the Google Search box.

Control clicking on any Bookmark provides a contextual menu so that you can choose to open in either new Tab or new window.

I have never found anything "erratic" about Safari.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks , Ann, but I knew all that except for the Google thing. My p[roblem is that tabbing just doesn’t work that way for me. Tabs come and go seemingly at will.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
I haven’t heard of anyone else having a problem with Safari’s tabs so I can only imagine that you must either have a bad installation of Safari, a damaged Prefs. file or have added incompatible plug-ins?
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2006
then you have bigger problems with your machine.
I
ID._Awe
Oct 4, 2006
This thread made my day. What a laugh!

Yeah, I’m from the dark side.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 4, 2006
Trashed prefs, did the fsck, no change. The tabs don’t stick when you open another one, the previous one disappears, although the one before that stays.
S
SteveV
Oct 4, 2006
ย•
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Oct 4, 2006
This thread made my day

Must have been get a life, dude one hell of a dayย… <G>
P
Phosphor
Oct 4, 2006
" This thread made my day. What a laugh!

Yeah, I’m from the dark side. "

I.D.ย…

This has nothing to do with anything Mac vs. Windows.

And I hate to be the kid who blurts out "the emperor has no clothes!", but Lovable Lundy has a history of having problems that no one else seems to have.

It’s usually been discovered that these problems are a result of PEBKAC, and generally, he acknowledges them as such once he gets things sorted.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 4, 2006
Well, I do have problems that no one else will admit, but they invariably turn out to be some arcane software weirdness.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 4, 2006
Perhaps you just add some weird arcane software to your System from time to time?!

๐Ÿ˜‰
P
Phosphor
Oct 4, 2006
We all have occasional system problems, Lundy.

It’s just that some of us have them less often, or are more adept at troubleshooting procedures.

That’s not a knock on your skill level, it’s just an objective observation.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 4, 2006
Phosphor, shut up, before I remember how arrogant you are.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 4, 2006
One final question: is there a safari forum?
P
Phosphor
Oct 4, 2006
It’s not arrogance, Lundy.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has noticed that you have some weird ass problems that nobody else has had, and that you often seem to have a tough time following detailed troubleshooting directions. Things seem to happen ()or not work) for you when they seem to function easily for many others. Again, that’s just the pattern I’ve seen, having observed years worth of your postings.

How often have you seen me post questions about stuff I just can’t get sussed out? Rarely…the most recent have been me just ranting about how much of an idiot I am about getting my Airport network setting fixed after I futzed with them. But, I finally got them figured out, on my own, by studying resources elsewhere. If I had a serious problem with Photoshop, I’d certainly ask here, because I know that there are people here who could help.

Otherwise, my Mac experiences for MANY years has been virtually trouble free, and when I did have problems, I have been able to get them solved relatively easily. That’s just plain fact.

If I had instead said:"You’re a complete idiot, Lundy, and you ought to just quit messing with computers because you’ll never be as slick with running one as me!"

….well, that would be arrogant, and rude.

I was neither of those things.

You just had to ramp things up, by taking my observation personally (when I had anticipated that in my first reply) and then by trying to tell me to shut up?

That’s a freakin’ joke. Lundy.
P
Phosphor
Oct 4, 2006
" One final question: is there a safari forum? "

See, it’s questions like that which reveal a lot about your skill level and methodology.

Have you explored the Apple Discussion Boards?

Do you suppose that’s the well most people might first want to dip into when looking for help with an APPLE product?
I
ID._Awe
Oct 4, 2006
Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t about a Mac/Windows superiority things at all, I’ve been over that for several years, it struck me that if you subbed MS for Apple, Vista for Leopard & service pack for service pack it gets to be a Windows thread.

"It’s usually been discovered that these problems are a result of PEBKAC"… same on the other side.

"Must have been … one hell of a dayย…" Yep it was that, I went to the doctor for adominal pains and what they found was that I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that is 6Cm (yep, 2.5") long compounded by the fact that I also had a perforated appendix that was leaking crap in my abdomin. They fixed the appendix but can’t operate on the aneurysm until the infection clears. Can’t do anything but sit on my butt so I’ve been idylly cruising the web when the oxycodone haze lifts enough that I can sit up straight.

As far as OS, it is whatever turns your crank!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 4, 2006
Days don’t get much more hellish than that one so I am glad if we helped to brighten it somewhat.

Let’s hope tomorrow is better.
P
Phosphor
Oct 4, 2006
"…what they found was that I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that is 6Cm (yep, 2.5")…"

EEK100!!!

That’s what killed my Granddad!

Of course, he was 84, but that’s a scary situation nonetheless.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 5, 2006
I’ve never gone to any Apple Forums because I never needed to until I discovered that tabbed browsing doesn’t work correctly and none of the normal troubleshooting will fix it. I have had 99.5 % problem free Mac experience over many years. PCs are trouble on a stick but you don’t see me in the Windows side.
You’re getting a little too smart for the room, Phosphor. Please knock off the personal stuff, it doesn’t add value. I don’t dislike you, I actually think you bring something to the forum, but you are making unwarranted assumptions about me, my ability, and my track record.
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2006
Get well soon ID.

Take a few pills for me too.
I
ID._Awe
Oct 5, 2006
Didn’t mean to stir up anything, I have to get my laughs where I can for the next coupla’ weeks before I go back to hospital for the second op. I was really suprised how common these aneurysms are, they only operate after 5cm!

Anyways, I have to s-p-r-e-a-d the pills out. Thanks for the kind thoughts! I shall scurry back under my rock!
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2006
I have to s-p-r-e-a-d the pills out.

tell them they accidently fell down the drain and you need a few more. B)
S
SteveV
Oct 5, 2006
Jebers ID, it’s bloody serious anyway, get well soon mate.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 5, 2006
For anyone on an Intel Mac 10.4.8 has fixed one MAJOR problem I was having. Applications running through Rosetta were terribly limited for me. I could launch Photoshop and Illustrator but then Indesign would not launch. Or I’d launch Photoshop and Illustrator would refuse to launch. I had to restart to correct the issue. Then eventually I’d hit the same limit somewhere which would prevent a Rosetta app from launching. 10.4.8 seems to have corrected this allowing me to launch as many Rosetta-based apps as needed without the failures I was having before.

10.4.8 on the PPC G5 seems to be solid as well, but I wasn’t having a great many issues with 10.4.7 on the PPC.
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Oct 5, 2006
Bart,

Get well soon, and come here for the laughs anytime.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 5, 2006
Awe, get well soon. Don’t sign anything while you’re taking vicodins.
I
ID._Awe
Oct 6, 2006
Now I know why I dropped by this thread, it was that smarmy Mac guy from the "I’m a Mac/I’m a PC" commercials that made me do it, o-o-o-o-o I just want to throttle that little _ _ _ _ _ _ !

Thank you for the kind thoughts, they are appreciated! Feeling much better now, well at least until I getted hacked into again later this month.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 6, 2006
So glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Of course, if you get a Mac, you will be immediately feeling even better ย… ! Ask your doctor to prescribe one?

๐Ÿ™‚
S
SteveV
Oct 6, 2006
Prescription Macs, I feel sick. ๐Ÿ˜‰
L
Lundberg02
Oct 6, 2006
BTW, tabbed browsing works just fine in a new user acct. Unfortunately i can’t reinstall Safari from my 10.4 disk because my SuperDrive won’t recognize Cds all of a sudden. My Mac guy has a cleaner disk he’s going to run tomorrow when he Firewires an app into my box.
I don’t think a reinstall would do anything anyway.
S
SteveV
Oct 6, 2006
Time for a new superdrive I think
I
ID._Awe
Oct 6, 2006
When Apple went with "PC based hardware", they should have started with SATA drive connectors or at least gone with the IDE 133 connectors for better performance. Hmmmmm! Never understood that oversight. Makes a big difference, the HDs are the bottleneck to performance on any system.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 6, 2006
tabbed browsing works just fine in a new user acct.>>

That almost certainly means that you have corrupt Safari Prefs. and Caches in your User account. Delete those, and you should be fine.
B
Buko
Oct 6, 2006
You can get a new superdrive for $40 from OWC.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 6, 2006
Is there a limit on the number of Bookmarks?

I trashed the prefs and it didn’t help.
What did work was to take the Safari out of my User Library to the desktop, reload Safari which recreated it. That version worked fine. Tabs worked for a while and then quit again after I put the old one back.
I’ll empty the cache and see if that helps. I can drag the History, Bookmarks etc one at a time to find thecorrupt file I guess.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 6, 2006
Your Bookmarks are stored in a different place:
User/ย…/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Try this:
In Safari, go to File menu/Export Bookmarks and save the "Export" on your Desktop. And to Safari menu/Empty cache ย…

Quit out of Safari

Then trash the files inside: User/ย…/Library/Safari/

Relaunch Safari and go to File menu/Import Bookmarks and choose the Exports file that you previously saved to your Desktop.
S
SteveV
Oct 7, 2006
Or try Firefox and never have the problem. <that guy Tony, he shrugs about now>
L
Lundberg02
Oct 7, 2006
Emptying the cache restored most of the functionality. It still doesn’t work quite right. If I cmd click on an item in the Bookmarks displayed bar, it will sit in the tabs and stay. If I cmd click on an item in the Bookmarks Bar list(not displayed) it will replace the last tab.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2006
It’s WHEN you hold-down the Cmd key that counts:

Hold down the "Cmd" key BEFORE you open the fly-out Bookmarks Bar and the Bookmark will open in a new Tab.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2006
From the other thread:

I hope I mentioned that Ann’s suggestion to empty cache allowed the tabs function to put more than one tab in the bar, but only five are visible and the newest one replaces the last one. >

How big is your monitor? And at what resolution are you running it?

On my 22" (1600 x 1200 px), I can have 19 tabs "in sight" at one time with any additional ones visible from the "overflow" arrows in the Tabs Bar.
R
Ram
Oct 7, 2006
On my 22" (1600 x 1200 px)

Your eyesight is much better than mine with glasses, Ann.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2006
Actually it is NOT as good as it was and I have, just this morning, made an appointment with the occulist for next week.

B(
L
Lundberg02
Oct 7, 2006
17", 1280×1024. I thought the tabs were supposed to squoze down and fit in but they don’t. Thanks for the tip on holding down cmd. How the hell are people supposed to know such things? This thing where the latest one replaces the last one is ridiculous.
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Oct 8, 2006
Loaded 10.4.8 from updater, simply because I do not know any better. I ran Disk Utility before and after the install and also Cocktail.

Since then my 2.7 dual G5 Power Mac hangs on start up. Grey screen with the apple and the circle just keeps spinning and spinning; ten minutes if I let it. After I turn it off via the power button it reboots fine.

Disk looks SMART. Should I do the combo from the Apple site ?

Ok thanks

Richard
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 8, 2006
This thing where the latest one replaces the last one is ridiculous. >

But it doesn’t ย— provided you hold down the Cmd key BEFORE you open the side menu; or you Cmd T to open an empty Tab first.

Check out Safari Help also if you haven’t already done so.

๐Ÿ™‚
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 8, 2006
Should I do the combo from the Apple site ? >

Yes. The Combo will very probably fix any problems.

But do run Disk Repair (from your CD); and Repair Permissions ย— both before AND after running the Combo.

And do disconnect UBS and Firewire peripherals as well.

Grey screen with the apple and the circle just keeps spinning and spinning; ten minutes if I let it. After I turn it off via the power button it reboots fine. >>

The Combo will automatically do TWO consecutive restarts after you install it (which will take some time) and should NOT be interrupted.
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Oct 8, 2006
Will Disk Repair from the CD erase my apps already loaded ?

thanks in advance

richard
L
Lundberg02
Oct 8, 2006
How about that? They squoze. Thanks, Ann. Safari Help is not the least bit helpful. The prize for least helpful Help goes to Thunderbird, though. 1.5.08 has some weird bug on Windows that corrupts your password file so that it tries to retrieve or send six times with an error message and then proceeds. If you recreate your acct, it for works ok for a couple weeks and starts again. The Tbird forum has no answer.
R
Ram
Oct 8, 2006
Will Disk Repair from the CD erase my apps already loaded ?

No, absolutely not. ๐Ÿ˜€ Don’t fret.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections