F
Posted By
FMW
Oct 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a former Picture Publisher user. I’m in the process of learning Photoshop and moving my work over to it. My question.

In Picture Publisher is was easy to take to images and join them together side by side to make a new image. It was called stitching.

I’m trying to figure how Photoshop does that and where to look in the Help menus. Thanks for any advice.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 4, 2006
There is no automatic feature for this. You need to extend the canvas size (image>canvas size) to make room for the second image, then open it, drag it into the other image, and then manually position it to overlap.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 4, 2006
Oh, but there is. It’s called Photomerge.
F
FMW
Oct 4, 2006
I couldn’t find a feature called Photomerge but the manual has a section on merging and stamping layers. I think this might work. I’ll give it shot. I often take small product images and stitch them together to show product line or portion of a line. Photoshop looks like it will do it with more flexibility. Picture Publisher would only allow different images sizes. I’ll get to work on it. Thanks.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 4, 2006
I couldn’t find a feature called Photomerge

In Bridge, it’s under the TOOLS>PHOTOSHOP menu.

In Photoshop it’s under FILE>AUTOMATION
T
Talker
Oct 4, 2006
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:53:55 -0700, wrote:

I couldn’t find a feature called Photomerge but the manual has a section on merging and stamping layers. I think this might work. I’ll give it shot. I often take small product images and stitch them together to show product line or portion of a line. Photoshop looks like it will do it with more flexibility. Picture Publisher would only allow different images sizes. I’ll get to work on it. Thanks.

What version of PhotoShop are you using? The Photomerge option started with version 8.(also called CS for some reason). Go to File…..Automate….Photomerge.
Why do they call it CS and CS2? CS stands for Creative
Suite…..Photoshop is not a suite, so they should call it Photoshop 8 and Photoshop 9.

Talker
CF
Chuck_Fogarty
Oct 5, 2006
Photomerge is really a poor implementation of "stitch". I still use PhotoMax Pro when I need to stitch pictures together. Photoshop doesn’t merge them in a straight line, it tries to be "smart" and ends up stitching them at odd angles. Photomerge is more suited for making panoramas from a series of MATCHING pictures.
F
FMW
Oct 5, 2006
Well, there you go. I guess I can still use Picture Publisher for that task as long as I’m working with JPEGS. There are a lot of things about Picture Publisher that I think Photoshop should emulate. An example is making low resolutions JPEGs for the web. It is a regular hassle to do that with Photoshop and really simple with Picture Publisher. There is no question that Photoshop is more versatile and more powerful. It is harder and slower to use, however. Too bad PP disappeared as a product. It was a well designed piece of software.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 5, 2006
making low resolutions JPEGs

If you think this is a hassle in Photoshop you’re missing a lot!
F
FMW
Oct 6, 2006
Yes, I know. I’m just learning. I spent 1/2 an hour last night trying to figure out how people use the histogram to adjust contrast in a palette and couldn’t figure it out. I finally went to bed. The problem is that the manual takes you through which clicks to get to which features. It doesn’t really teach you how to use those features or the program in general to get things done. Saturday, I’ll go to the book store and get a Photoshop for Dummies. I’ll conquer it in time.

It is always difficult to change to different software after years and hundreds of thousands of images processed on another. I like what Photoshop can do – particularly working with camera RAW images. It is just slow and cumbersome for me as I learn.

As I said before, Photoshop is more powerful than Picture Publisher but it is fussier to use because of its complexity.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 6, 2006
Can’t argue with that!
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 6, 2006
Learning Photoshop is like climbing a mountain – and the higher you climb, the taller the mountain seems to become.

The most important thing is to stop occasionally along the way and admire the view.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections