MB
Posted By
Matt_Birchler
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to type some text and apply an image on top of it.

is there any way to do this? when i’ve tried before, the image i wanted to go over the text went over te text, and the rest of the screen too. how can i place an texture/image so that it is on the text but not anywhere else?

thanks! (and i hope you understand what i’m trying to say…i’m not very photoshop savvy yet)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 15, 2004
Matt, do you want the picture to be the fill in the text letters? If so, use the Type tool in mask mode (the icon for that is a T in dotted lines on the Type tool’s toolbar) to create type-shaped selections. Then do Select>Inverse to select everything but the type; then hit Edit>Clear and you’ll have type filled with image. Is that what you’re trying to do?

Chuck
PD
Pete_D
Feb 15, 2004
Matt

If you are saying the end result should be text that has either a texture you choose or parts of a picture you choose then;

1. Add a new layer. Either the picture you want to use for the text or a pattern. For example; layer/new fill layer/pattern

2. click the text tool and type the text

3. Zoom in on the text and "select" it with one of the selection tools. I found the magic wand works good for this set at 30 if the contrast is fairly strong between the text and the background

4. Now make the pattern layer active by clicking on the pattern layer in the layers palette

5. From the menu bar go to select/inverse and then hit delete (this will delete all the pattern except for what is on the actual text)

6. Click the "eye" on the text layer and you will see the text in the pattern you chose. (you can actually delete the text layer now unless you think you might want to make modifications like changing the pattern)

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 15, 2004
Pete, your process works well! I’m just trying to figure out how it’s different from using the Text Mask tool, which does the selection for you without using other selection tool……?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 15, 2004
Chuck, again an example of plenty of ways to do the same thing. Place image above text and do a ‘group with previous’..ctrl+ G.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 15, 2004
Jodi, your way is even easier! No selections to make at all; very cool!! 🙂
PD
Pete_D
Feb 15, 2004
Chuck,

I had the post open for quite a while without refreshing before answering and did not know you had answered:( You covered it well. Not sure which way I like best but they work:)

Pete
PD
Pete_D
Feb 15, 2004
Yes,

Jodi wins. That is the fastest and easiest. I am behind about 200 posts so I am about 15 minutes behind posting.

Pete
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 15, 2004
An added benefit of Jodi’s method (which is my preference) is that the text remains editable.
I
ieee488
Feb 18, 2004
Wow!!!!

that’s all I can say about Jodi’s suggestion.

simple and easy enough for this slow-learner to execute

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections