RF
Posted By
robertoss ferguson
Oct 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
how many ppi is the RAW file and/or JPEG straight from the camera. I shoot RAW+JPEG mode. The reason i ask is because i am always told to compose in photoshop at 300ppi for print. I thought they were 72ppi from camera. So whouldnt the images look bad in a 300ppi document?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 4, 2006
The ppi information in a raw or jpg file is irrelevant. It is only when you print the file out that the dpi gains importance. You can convert from one resolution to the other seamlessly in Photoshop by changing the image size resolution value, so long as you do not have the resampling option on.
A
a
Oct 4, 2006
A file from a Rebel XT shot at the highest resolution works out to be about
7.6" X 11.5" at 300 dpi. The JPEGs initially open in Photoshop at 32" X 48"
at 72 dpi.

wrote in message
The ppi information in a raw or jpg file is irrelevant. It is only when
you print the file out that the dpi gains importance. You can convert from one resolution to the other seamlessly in Photoshop by changing the image size resolution value, so long as you do not have the resampling option on.
RF
robertoss ferguson
Oct 4, 2006
so what type of scenario would imported image PPI and DPI output be relevant and needed to be considered?
CM
Craig_McWalter
Oct 4, 2006
As Don said, it is only relevant when you got to print the file and apply a dpi (print resolution) value to it.

A file from a Rebel XT shot at the highest resolution works out to be about 7.6" X 11.5" at 300 dpi. The JPEGs initially open in Photoshop at 32" X 48"at 72 dpi.
J
Jim
Oct 4, 2006
"robertoss ferguson" wrote in message
how many ppi is the RAW file and/or JPEG straight from the camera. I shoot RAW+JPEG mode. The reason i ask is because i am always told to compose in photoshop at 300ppi for print. I thought they were 72ppi from camera. So whouldnt the images look bad in a 300ppi document?

No. The camera sends an image that is about 8 megapixels in size. The resulting print size at 300 ppi is about 7.6 x11.5. The resulting print size at 72 ppi is about 32 x 48. All that the various values of ppi are is a scaling factor (provided that you do not check the resize box). However, the one made at 72 dpi ought to be viewed from a very long distance else you will see very serious image degradation.
Jim
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 4, 2006
"Jim" wrote in message
"robertoss ferguson" wrote in message

No. The camera sends an image that is about 8 megapixels in size. The resulting print size at 300 ppi is about 7.6 x11.5. The resulting print size at 72 ppi is about 32 x 48. All that the various values of ppi are is a scaling factor (provided that you do not check the resize box). However, the one made at 72 dpi ought to be viewed from a very long distance else you will see very serious image degradation.
Jim,

They can’t see you, they are in the Adobeforum.

MH
B
Bernie
Oct 4, 2006
To calculate the resolution:

Divide the number of pixels by the length in inches (or centimeters)

Thus an image that is 3000 pixels long and printed 10" in length will have a reoslution of 300 ppi
OR
Owen Ransen
Oct 7, 2006
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 06:23:04 -0700, "robertoss ferguson" wrote:

how many ppi is the RAW file and/or JPEG straight from the camera.

This article might help you:

http://www.ransen.com/Articles/DPI/Default.htm

Easy to use graphics effects:
http://www.ransen.com/

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections