Monitor Cable ? — and also: monitor "orientation" a joke??

FE
Posted By
Frank_Ehrlich
Sep 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a frequent lurker and occasional poster here.

I have diligently done all due research, both in and outside the forums, but I can’t find the answer to two questions:

1.– Does anybody know where I can get an 8′ monitor replacement cable (VGA/SVGA HDDB 15 male to HDDB 15 male connectors) for my monitor (LaCie 22" CRT Electron Blue IV)? First I tried adding a 6′ Belkin-brand extension to the 6′ cable that came with the monitor, and that was a disaster (persistent ghost images to the right of everything). I only need to reach about an extra foot, so a single 8′ cable would be fine. All I’ve been able to find is 10′ cables.

2.– I don’t know if this is an April’s fool joke or what, but I found a monitor trouble shooting guide on the Web with "Monitor faces west" as a possible symptom and "Turn the monitor around to face east" as a ‘solution’. To me it sounds like a joke. Is there anything about the monitor orientation that would affect its performance that I’m not aware of?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2006
The ghosting is because you need a shielded monitor cable and the Belkin one is probably not shielded.

I know nothing about this company but this cable might work for you: <http://www.pcaware.com/proddetail.asp?prod=791024>
PT
Phil_Taz
Sep 18, 2006
You also should not have a join in your cable, I have had similar experience…

On the unrelated orientation subject, with a CRT monitor, it is affected by orientation, but the technology has improved over the last 20 years to the point that it is a minor consideration now.

In the old days, tv’s and monitors were made to suit particular latitudes due to variations in the earth’s magnetic fields, try this…get an old monitor and tilt it or rotate it….it will change colour sometimes drastically! Most old monitors will freak out and go green if you turn them upside down. I think degaussing technology is behind the improvement these days, later models degauss (rhymes with house) themselves automatically, some manually and you will see less ghosting and colour shift after hitting the button.
FE
Frank_Ehrlich
Sep 18, 2006
Thank you both, Ann Shelbourne and Phil Taz.

The link provided for Ann is for an extension (male to female connectors), but I was able to find a monitor replacement cable (male to male) at the same site.

Interesting thing about old monitors being sensitive to the earth’s magnetic fields.
R
Ram
Sep 19, 2006
Best Buy sells a very good monitor replacement cable, but it goes for over $50. CLICK HERE < http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7292574&st =monitor+cable&type=product&id=1118840867290>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections