Posted By
marcel_perez
Sep 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone:
I use a G5 quad with 8 gigs of ram, a raptor 73GB internal as scratch and a 30 inch monitor. My files come from a scanning digital back and are usually around 1 gig in size. All my PS documents are stored in external drives. I run Cocktail automatically once a day. I am runnig 9.02. My main problem is speed, for example if i use the healing brush with a diameter of 1550 px and normal blending mode, it takes a really long time to complete the operation, and when I open the activity monitor the cpu is 75-80% idle, the system memory tells me that it is using 7 gigs but 320 megs are active, the rest is inactive. My preferences are set to 80% ram and 4 cache levels.It is the same for other functions like distort filter (correcting chromatic aberrations)or even moving layers (very choppy movement, and very slow).
Another issue that popped up with the upgrade, is that when i try to use a ram disk as part of the scratch drive setup, as I open PS I get a message telling me thet the disks i have chosen for scratch drives are almost full. I ignored this and clicked continue, only to have an error 10 minute later (scratch disk error). Am I doing something wrong or is tha quad a POC (piece of crap)?

Thanks in advance…

Marcel

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SP
steve_peters
Sep 18, 2006
The raw files are 1gb? Are these 16bit?
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 18, 2006
Healing brush with diameter 1550?
Do you understand what the healing brush is for?
(That is excessively large)

And it sounds like you’re just running out of RAM and waiting on the scratch disk most of the time.
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2006
73 gig scratch seems awful small for that size of file.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections